Be the first to like this
The original Chapel was built in Ogtong as it was then called in late 1566 by Friar Martin Rada. It was subsequently destroyed by a Dutch Raiding Party in 1614. The Church was rebuilt several times until the Mid-1860s when the largest, most ornate Church was consecreated in Oton. It was a veritable treasure that survived the Revolution and World War II and was unfortunately destroyed by the Lady CayCay Earthquake in January 1948. The quake was measured at 9.0 on the Richter Scale and it destroyed or levelled most of the buildings in the area. The Church was eventually rebuilt and finally consecrated in late 1966. That is the Church we see today!