1. Death by PowerPoint (and how to fight it) Alexei Kapterev
2. There are 300 million PowerPoint users in the world* * estimate
3. They do 30 million presentations each day* * estimate
4. About a million presentations aregoing on right now* * estimate
5. 50% of them areunbearable* * conservative estimate
6. LOTS of peopleare killing each otherwith bad presentations. NOW.
7. They are all DEAD! Well, almost.
8. A vicious circle Bad presentations Bad communication Lesstraining Bad relations Less money Less sales
9. Let’s make the world a better place.
10. Why are they doing it?!
11. Research shows: Bullets don’t kill people People kill people Unintentionally Yet regularly
12. Mainly due to lack of... Significance Structure Simplicity Rehearsal
14. Why do you present?l To “pass the information”?l Your boss told you to?l Or to make meaning?
15. What’s the subject andwhy it matters to you?
16. How presentations work Significance creates passion Passion attracts attention Attention leads to action
17. Are you passionate? Check yourself.
18. This is passion.
19. This is passion.
20. This is passion.
21. This is not.
22. Can’t find the meaning?Don’t present.
24. Structure is how you place thebuilding blocks of your story.
25. Q: What structure to use?A: Any – as long as it is: Convincing Memorable Scalable
26. Structure choices Problem – Pathway – Solution Problem – Solution – Reasoning Fancy stuff (if it makes sense)
27. Give 3-4 reasons supporting your point.They will not remember more anyway.
28. }Memorable opening 1 More details... 1 argument 2 More details... 3 More details... 2 argument 1 2 More details... More details... 45 3 More details... minutes 1 More details... 3 argument 2 3 More details... More details...Memorable closing
29. You can tell this in... l 5 minutes l 15 minutes l 45 minutes It is scalable.
31. Everything should be made assimple as possible but not simpler.
32. Apparently, being simple is not that simple.Will give you some examples.
39. They use it as: Prompter Handouts Data dumps
40. People read faster than you speak. This means you are useless.
41. How much is an extra slide? $0.00. Zero Dollars.Break it in several. It’s free.
42. What’s the point? One simple point?Remove everything else.
43. Well, some arejust hopeless.
44. Ditch stupid “rules”l Do you remember the rule: l 7 lines per slide or less l 7 words per line or less?l Well, it is just plain stupidl If you follow this “rule”l You get a slide like this
45. d . Ditch stupid “rules” e p .l Do you remember the rule: m g a in l 7 lines per slide or less r rC o l 7 words per line or less?l Well, it is just plain stupid Bl If you follow this “rule”l You get a slide like this
46. Simple design rules* One point per slide Few matching colours Very few fonts Photos, not clipart * pun intended
47. Less text. More imagery.Wild imagery.
48. But what if I need tosend or print the slides?
49. Write a document.
50. The LargestLeasing Companies• Hansa Leasing• РГ Лизинг• Авангард-Лизинг• Raiffeisen Leasing• ММБ-Лизинг Make 2 sets of slides
51. Print with notes.
52. Inform with little text* * yes you can
54. It will never work completely for the first time. Trust me.
55. YOU PRESENTATION RECEPIENTFeedback. Go get some.
56. No audience? Present to thefurniture. But aloud. Try it.