• Breathing is the movement of air in and out of
• Takes in oxygen, which is important for every
cell to perform to perform cellular respiration
• Eliminates carbon dioxide and other gases so
cells can function.
• The major organs are the pharynx, larynx,
trachea, bronchi, lungs, alveoli, and the
Interactions with other systems
• The respiratory system interacts with the
circulatory system by providing oxygen to the
• It also interacts with the muscular system
because muscles pull and push air in and out
of the lungs.
Role In Maintaining
oxygen to body
cells and removes
from the body
•Runny nose •Fatigue
1. What is the main role of the respiratory
2. How do you maintain healthy lungs?
3. How many alveoli are in your lungs?
4. What is bronchitis?
5. How big are your lungs?
1. To help you breathe, meaning taking in oxygen
and releasing carbon dioxide.
2. Don’t smoke, exercise, and watch out for air
3. There are 300 to 500 million alveoli.
4. Bronchitis is a diseases in you bronchi that
makes breathing harder.
5. The size of the lungs vary depending on size of
the person, lung capacity, and gender of the