The process & art of
combining text & images to
communicate an effective
message in the design of
logos, graphics, brochures, ne
wsletters, posters, signs & any
other type of visual
GraphicDesign Visual Communication
Graphic design elements
• Graphic design elements are the building
blocks of graphics.
• Lines can be straight or
• How are lines used in the
composition on this slide?
• Hue is another word for color.
• Chroma is the intensity or purity of color.
• Tint is a color mixed with white.
• Tone is a color mixed with gray.
• Shade is a color mixed with black.
• Shapes are enclosed
objects that can be
created by line or
created by color and
value changes that
define their edges.
• Texture is the surface look of an object created by
varying dark and light areas.
Three most commonly used elements in graphic design
• Spatial Organization
• Best look
• First notice
Adds value to products that are more appealing to customers!
What Function Does Graphic Design
o Design can make a brand memorable and
instantly recognizable to an audience.
o Good design makes us stand up and take
o Design can make a brand stand out from the
• The basis of good graphic design is use of design
elements and their thoughtful application in the
form of design principles.
• Clearly identify what you are trying to
accomplish — use design to convey your
• Brainstorm alternatives.