The Boston Pops Orchestra
While Not Russian musicians ,
this Russian music is
universally popular all around the world
Established for the Czar Peter the Great One on 27 of May in the year 1703. It
became the capital of the Russian Empire for more than two hundred years. It then
ceased being the Capital of Russia in 1918, after the Revolution of 1917. It also had
other names: Petrogrado (1914-1924) and Leningrad (1924-1991
Dvortsovaya Square - Column Remembering Alexander The Great
note Employees & Visitors to the Hermitage Museum.
Hermitage museum – As it appears beside the flowing river. Established in 1764 and
inaugurated in 1852, the museum occupies five contiguous palaces. The greatest being
the old Winter Palace which was the official residence of the czars.
Hermitage Museum. - from the other the side directed toward the Dvortsovaya Square.
Commissioned by Bartolomeo Rastrelli in white and green style.
The palace has 1,057 halls and rooms; 1,786 doors and 1,945 windows.
Catherine the Great was the first imperial occupant. The construction required more
than three million craftsmen,
one of its first great acquisitions received in 1865 –
Madona and the Child (Litta Madona),by Leonardo of the Vinci -
Hermitage museum– Interior Balconey
Hermitage museum – Beautiful architectural columns
and glowing light of candelabras
Hermitage museum - the old original library
Hermitage museum - the Raphael Loggias gallery
Hermitage museum – Perhaps the beginning of a new great Russian
artist? Who knows…
Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan (1810-1811), the
main cathedral of the Metropolis of St. Petersburg
Peter The Great’s, summer palace. Actually it is a series of
palaces and gardens, constructed between 1714 and 1725
Peter The Great Palace - the source of the “ Gulf of Samson”
and the canal to the sea, with sight of the Gulf of Finland, an
arm of the Baltic sea. .
Peter The Great Palace - architecture and paintings
Peter The Great Palace
One of the dining rooms
Peter The Great Palace- One of the bedrooms.
Resurrection church of Christ (known as the Church of the spilled blood of
Our Savior) was constructed between 1883 and 1907
Resurrection of Christ Church (known as Church of the spilled
blood of Our Savior
The Catherine palace, in rococo style. It was the summer residence of
the Russian czars, situated in the district of Tsarskove
today known as , Pushkin .
Catherine palace in Pushkin – architectural details
Catherine palace in Pushkin – informal dining room
Statue of Alexander Pushkin (1900),The poet whose vast knowledge of
the Russian language and wealth in its use influenced authors such as
Gogol, Liermontov and Turgueneiev
Mikhailovsky palace, constructed in 1819-1825,
home of the State Russian Museum since 1895.
Cathedral of Saint Isaac
Cathedral of Saint Isaac The beautiful decorated dome
Czar Nicholas II and The Romanov Family – in 1911
After the Revolution of 1917 (St. Petersburg), then capital of
the Empire, lost its title to Moscow, as capital of Russia
Aurora Cruiser – launched in 1900, a shining star of the imperial shipyards, it
became a symbol of the October Revolution. Today, converted to a museum.
On a summer night, with the Church Our Savoir of Spilled Blood
and the deep canal
... The Same Area... On a brisk winter day...
But then the colours of Spring always arrive in St. Petersburg
Avtovo Subway Station
Mariinsky Theatre - Inaugurated in 1860, it is historical theatre of opera
(Kirov State Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet from 1935 up to 1992)
Mariinsky Theatre – really beautiful
Swan Lake – Presentation of the famous ballet of
Tchaikovsky in the Imperial Theatre in Fontanka
Neva, is the main street; planned for Peter The Great One to be the
beginning of the road between Novogorod and Moscow.
Nevsky Prospect - today the avenue goes from the Admiralty until the
Moscow Railway Station
Morning Coffee at the Grand Europe Hotel
This most sumptuous
building other than
the imperial palace,
was constructed in
In1830 it was bought
by Duke N.B.
Yusupov. On a visit to
Italy the eccentric
Duke was so
enchanted with a
staircase in white
marble: he bought the
palace only to bring
the steps to St.
Petersburg . Today
this palace is a
Monument to the water carrier –
Museum and administrative complex of Vodokanal.
Egyptian Bridge - crossing the Lermontov Avenue on the River Fontanka.
“Esfínge” workmanship of the sculptor Pavel Sokolov - 19 th. century.
The river snows and the Twelve Colleges of the Saint
Bank Bridge - on the Griboyedov canal – 19th. century
Dom Knigi “Book House”, situated in Art Nouveau building that was once
the Singer House
The Exterior Dom Knigi “book House” Interior
Fyodor Dostoievsky, writer whose works , including “Crime and Punishment”
‘ The Karamazov Brothers”, had deep and permanent effect on intellectual thought
Dostoievsky Memorial Museum - where he wrote `Crime and Punishment'
East St. Petersburg is a charmer and Dostoevsky
often said: ”it’s beauty only will save the world”
Just one normal day in St Petersburg…