Open Source Software that saves lives
Photos and screenshots CC by-nc-sa
2. Immediate loss of life
Breakdown of infrastructure
Food, water, basic sanitation
Civil unrest, looting, anarchy
3. Aid agencies mobilize, but it takes time.
Efforts are hampered by lack of infrastructure.
Dozens of organizations trying to help means
duplication of effort or worse.
4. WILL TECHNOLOGY SAVE THE DAY?
5. Innovative Support To Emergencies,
Diseases, & Disasters
6. InSTEDD builds software that helps with
disaster & disease response coordination.
7. Globally, 25% of people have access to the internet.
60% have mobile phones.
January 12, 2010
217,000 people died
2.4% of the population
9. Within days of the quake, InSTEDD deployed the
Emergency Information Service they developed for
the Thomson Reuters Foundation
10. Eduardo Jezierski
11. While most of us are measuring our
success at work by things like page
views, conversion rates and ROI, people
like Eduardo are measuring their success
by how many lives they save.
12. YOU CAN, TOO
GeoChat, Mesh4X, Twitter Bots, Riff
GeoChat for iPhone & Android
Filter 4000 messages per day to 400 worth tagging
Collaborative interaction with realtime data
Messages + Location on Mobile