Yacht Sales & Marketing. Simplified
DOCKING IN STRONG CURRENTS
www.SeeTheYachts.com, the #1 Listing & Marketing Portal for
Yachts & Boats for Sale.
Factors affecting docking
Docking is made difficult owing to factors like wind and water
current affecting it.
Here are few tips that can help you dock right even in strong
Gauge the current
• Currents in the water affect the boat from the bottom,
basically because they disturb the keel or centerboards, thus
disturbing the alignment and balance of the boat as it moves.
• The key is to first understand the direction of current by
looking at the water carefully. You can dock better by
determining the direction of the current correctly.
• Currents tend to increase the boat speed (if the boat’s
traveling in the direction of the current).
• Slow down greatly when docking in strong current.
• Approach the dock into the current very slowly till you are
aligned properly with the docking spot,
keeping at least one boat width’s distance.
Move the boat sideways
• Use the current to your advantage.
• Move the boat sideways by presenting one side of the boat
to the current.
• At this time use the controls of the boat to align the boat in
the correct angle.
• If you get this step right, you’ll
notice that the current itself is
helping you dock the boat.
Secure the Stern tight
• At the time of docking secure the back end of the bow (stern)
• Ensure the stern is secured well and is tight.
• Don’t switch off the boat engine till the boat is fully secured.
Get Quality Docking Equipment
• Never compromise on docking equipment.
• A braided nylon line is always recommended because of its
abrasion resistance, good elasticity and stretching power.
• Add fenders to your boat, so that the boat is not damaged
even if it hits the dock a couple of times accidentally.
• Use anti chafing products, so there’s no major damage when
your boat rubs against other boats or the dock.
Yachts/Boats for Sale @ www.seetheyachts.com
We feature thousands of new and used boats for sale and yachts for
sale including motor yachts, sailing yachts, cruiser boats, sailing
boats, motor cruiser, luxury yachts, power yachts and cruiser yachts
for sale. With more than 200 yacht brokers listed with us and with
their yacht listings being over 1000, we have yachts and boats of
various makes listed with us. Some of these include seabourn, sea
ray, sun seeker, hatteras etc..
Please contact us at:
3 Diamondleaf | Irvine| CA-92618 | p: (949) 436-9268 |
e: firstname.lastname@example.org | w: www.seetheyachts.com
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.