D02L03 S Terzic - Some Aspects of the Research in Mathematics in MontenegroPresentation Transcript
Some Aspects of the Research in Mathematics in
Faculty of Natural Science and Mathematics
University of Montenegro
Faculty of Natural Science and Mathematics - University of Montenegro
Educational programms and Teaching proﬁle
The Department of Mathematics has three academic programms:
• Pure Mathematics;
• Applied Mathematics and Computer Science;
• Computer Science.
Through each of them the education is organized for
1. Bechelor degree - 3 years; the study programme for Bechelor degree is
unique for each academic programme;
2. Master degree - 2 years ; the study programme is devided into ”modules”
at each academic programme:
• Pure mathematics:
Teaching of Mathematics
• Applied Mathematics and Computer Science:
• Computer Science : just one modul
The study programme is organized as:
the ﬁrst and second semester – obligatory and special courses,
the third semester – special courses + work on master theses,
the fourth semester – work on master theses.
3. Phd degree – 3 years (starts 2011)
The study programme is organized as:
ﬁrst semester – some obligatory corses,
second semester – some special course and foundation of Phd theses,
the rest two years work on Phd theses.
• full professors in (permanent) - 12;
• associate professors (permanent) - 10;
• assistant profesors (permanent)- 5;
• assistants in mathematics (3 - years contract, Phd degree students) - 10;
• teaching assistants (1-year contract, master degree students)- 5.
The most professors are educated in University of Belgrade and Universities in
There are master and Phd degree students which are not engaged in teaching.
Research is mostly based on the individual research work. There are active
people (including master degree students) in the following areas
• Algebra (3)
• Real and Complex Analysis (5)
• Probabilty and Statistics (3)
• Geometry and Topology (2)
• Logic and Combinatorics (2)
• Numerical Mathematics and Optimization (4)
• Diﬀerential (partial) equations
The following publications contribute that the research in mathematics in Mon-
tenegro should be included in the Center of Exellence programms:
• complex analysis;
Transaction of the American Mathematical Society (2010), Israel Journal
of Mathematics (2010), Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications
• partial diﬀerential equations);
Communication in Mathematical Sciences (2009), Mathematical and Com-
puter Modelling (2009), Abstarct and Applied Analysis (2009),...(Darko
• geometry and topology;
Paciﬁc Journal of Mathematics (2010), Osaka Journal of Mathematics
(2010), Commentarii Mathematici Helvetici (2009),...(Svjetlana Terzi´)
Research and educatuional projects
• 3 - years TEMPUS project JEP-19099-2004 under which the reforms of
the study programms is done (2005-2008).
• 3 - years TEMPUS project ”SEE Doctoral Studies in Mathematics” is
running now (2009-2012).
a) Research activities are mainly related to the research grants ﬁnanced by the
Ministry of Science and Education of Montenegro. They are of duration of
three years; they support the permanent stuﬀ and partially master and Phd
degree students; currently four programms are running:
1. Analysis on Manifolds;
2. Statistical-combinatorial methods and their applications;
3. Some agebraic structure;
4. Complex analysis
b) There is also special programme for the support of the research activities of
the Rectorate of University of Montenegro - once a year support for the research
visit, support for attending the conferences, support for the publication of the
papers in the journals of SCI list.
Limited amount - our research visits are strongly ﬁnancially supporterd by the
individual host institution.
- ﬁnanced through the contracts with the University (they are all involved in
the teaching process)
- through the projects contracts the Ministry of Science (they are not involved
into the teaching process);
- enrolled in Phd studies at the University of Montenegro, University of Belgrade
and University of Novi Sad.
Institutional access to Zentralblatt, MathSciNet;
No electronic acces to journals; limited number of the journals in the library;
Research and teaching book collections in the library partially renewed thanks
to the special programe of the Rectorate of the University of Montenegro and
running TEMPUS programme.
• International collaboration - institutionaly established - the most devel-
oped with Faculty for Mechanics and Mathematics, Faculty for Compu-
tational Mathematics and Cibernetics - Moscow State University ”M. V.
Lomonosov”; The collaboration with Moscow State University is arranged
through the agreement between University of Montenegro and Moscow
• Regional collaboration - institutionally established - the most developed:
Mathematical Institute SANU - Belgrade; Mathematicsl Faculty Belgrade;
oﬃcial agreement on exchange of teaching and research staﬀ; Mathematical
Faculty in Novi Sad;
• Department through University participate in ERASMUS-MUNDUS and
BASILEUS - it enables mobility of students and short research visits (Nether-
lands, Italy, France);
• Until recently we participated in the CEEPUS II - H127- ”Active methods
in Teaching mathematics”
• Some research activities (conference, research visits, students workshops)
are realized through DAAD projetc ”Center for Exellence for Application of
Mathematics” for South-Eastern Europe.
• A lot of the research collaboration is realized through the individual grants
of the hosts: University of Manchester, University of Aberdeen,UK; SANU,
Serbia; Mathematical Faculty, Serbia; Norway, Oslo; LMU-Munich, Ger-
• Research visits (until two years ago) from Moscow State University sup-
ported by Rectorate of the University of Montenegro and Department for
• WUS Austria - Brain-gain program - reserach and teaching visits of the
scientists from the region working abroad.
• Department regulary publishes journal ”Mathematicae Montesnigri” (re-
viewed in Zentalblatt and MathSciNet);
• Department organized Conference on 25th anniversay of the Faculty and
• Organized workshops and conferences in Montenergo through DAAD pro-
gramme (2009) and Montenegrin Academy of Science and Arts (2008).
Promissing and regionally fruifull to have in the future regional
” Center for Exellence for Combinatorics, Geometry, Topology and Dy-
Some of the researchs in this areas (Rade Zivaljevi´, Vladimir Dragovi´, Bel-
grade and Svjetlana Terzi´, Montenegro) have established scientiﬁc collabora-
tions with leading world specialists.
In this way based project can join mathematicians from diﬀerent branches and
attract young mathematicians to this area. It would enable also to bring world
specialists in these research areas in not individual, but more regional way
(through the research visits, conferences, workshops).