1) There are a lot of problems in the world. 2) They are solved in a half-assed way. 3) You are put here on this earth to fix them.
Computers are extremely frustrating examples: PC Load letter from office space Bill Gates couldn’t use Movie Maker without an insane number of steps
IDEAS SHOULD BE ABOUT PROBLEMS There are a billion problems. Choose one. AngerAvoid technology for technology’s sake.We’re put on this earth to make each other’s experiences better. Being useless in new ways does not make your fundamentally different from the previous useless products. ~Paul Buchheit
1) Quantum of Product, aka Minimum Viable product 2) Get it in the hands of users. 3) Iterate We could hem and haw all day about problems, but it’s nothing til we...
No autopost, no web editor, no RSS! Minimal. Amazon launched in 1994 Book reviews in 1996 YEARS. Then iterate.
1) Fanatical customer support 2) Great parties
We’re not building cars here. It’s not about the technology.
It’s about throwing an excellent party.
1. The Product-Driven STATE OF MIND Garry Tan // cofounder, posterous.com SEATTLE STARTUP DAY 2010
3. 1 // HATE
5. Focus on solving problems Most things are solved pretty poorly.
6. Avid Technologies by Bill Warner (1987)
7. Being useless in new ways does not make yours fundamentally different from the previous useless products. // Paul Buchheit, creator of Gmail and Friendfeed
8. 2 // SHIP
9. Ship a quantum of product
10. Posterous at launch in 2008
11. Amazon.com in 1994
12. Facebook in 2004
13. Why a quantum of product? <ul><li>Don’t boil the ocean. </li></ul><ul><li>Don’t be an island. You don’t know what will work and what doesn’t until it’s out there. </li></ul><ul><li>You can’t optimize using analytics if you haven’t shipped. </li></ul><ul><li>You can’t start the viral clock. </li></ul><ul><li>Real artists ship. </li></ul>
14. Shipping <ul><li>It solves the problem. It is what we are here for. </li></ul><ul><li>Everything else is just window dressing. </li></ul>
15. 3 // LOVE
16. We’re not building cars, we’re throwing awesome parties
18. Fanatical Customer Support <ul><li>Answer every email. </li></ul><ul><li>Feel the pain your users are experiencing. </li></ul><ul><li>If one person emails you, there are 10 or 100 other people who have failed there. </li></ul><ul><ul><li>BE THANKFUL. They are doing you a favor. </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Fix it ASAP. </li></ul>
20. Study of Usenet New Posters Of newcomers who post and get no reply -- 16% came back . Those who do get a reply (even one!) -- 26% came back.
21. What a 10% difference in growth rate will do in 24 months....
22. <ul><li>HATE the problem </li></ul><ul><li>SHIP the product </li></ul><ul><li>LOVE your users </li></ul>The Product-Driven STATE OF MIND
24. Thank you! <ul><li>Feel free to contact me at </li></ul><ul><li>[email_address] </li></ul>