○ Jupiter was associated with mythological
and religious beliefs of many cultures. The
Romans named the planet after the Roman
○ Jupiter is in the fifth order from the Sun.
○ Jupiter takes almost 12 years to make one
revolution around the sun.
○ Jupiter rotates every 10 hours
Mythological Origin Name
○ The Average distance from sun is
○ Jupiter completes an orbit every 11.86
○ Average density of Jupiter is 1.326
g/cm3, the average density of earth is 5.52
g/cm3, It’s less than 25% of Earth’s
○ Its average temperature is -145 degrees
○ The diameter of Jupiter is 142,984
km, Jupiter is 11.2 times the size of the
Earth and larger than any other body in our
solar system other than the sun.
○ The gravity of Jupiter is 2.5 times what is
here on Earth, Jupiter has only 254% of the
earth’s gravity on earth.
○ If an object weigh 100 kg on Earth, it
would weigh 236 kg in Jupiter.
○ Jupiter is about 90% hydrogen and 10%
helium, with traces of
methane, water, ammonia, and rock.
○ Jupiter has the largest atmosphere in the
Solar System. It is mostly made of
molecular hydrogen and helium.
○ Jupiter has 63 confirmed moons. The
names of Jupiter’s moons are
lo, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Amolthea
○ A unique feature in Jupiter’s moon is
volcanology of lo, a moon of Jupiter is the
scientific of lava flows, volcanic pits, and
volcanism on the surface of lo. Its volcanic
activity was discovered in 1979 by voyager
1 imaging scientist.
Juno Aug 5, 2011 July 2016 In Flight
New Horizons Jan 19, 2006 2026 In Flight
Cassini Oct 15, 1997 Jan 14, 2005 Mission in
Ulysses Oct 6, 1990 June 30, 2009 Successful
Galileo Oct 18, 1989 Sep 21, 2003 Successful
Voyager 1 Sep 6, 1977 Aug 16, 2006
Voyager 2 Aug 20, 1977 Aug 24, 1989 Mission in
Pioneer 11 Apr 5, 1973 Nov 24, 1995 Successful
○ It’s ring was discovered by Voyager 1 in a
single image. The main ring is about 7,000 km
wide and has an abrupt outer boundary
129,130 km from the center of planet, dust
from 2 moons makes most of the ring.
○ In my opinion life in Jupiter is pretty difficult
because there is no oxygen in Jupiter, not even
0.1%. In order to live in Jupiter we need to plant
trees and vegetables so that oxygen produce and
people live there. Also, there is shortage of water
in Jupiter. Living there is very difficult