Hi, I am Barb Grindstaff, the Unit Coordinator for the Curriculum Library. I have been employed in the Curriculum Library for 21 years and have been working at WIU for 29 years. I received my bachelor’s degree from WIU in History with teacher certification for grades 6-12. David Macchi is the other full-time staff member of the Curriculum Library. David is also a graduate of WIU. In additio, we have a number of student assistants who work in the Curriculum Library as well.
(Read parts of the slide) Now that you know where we are located and little bit of our history, please allow me show you around.
We have five patron terminals housed in the west room of the library.
The East Room (a portion of which is pictured here) holds the fiction portion of the collection.
Thank you for allowing me to introduce you to the Curriculum Library. The staff of the Curriculum Library hopes that you will stop by and see us sometime.
1. Welcome to the Curriculum Library<br />The Curriculum Library <br />is are located in <br />Horrabin Hall Room 80<br />On Western Illinois University campus<br /> in Macomb IL.<br />The Curriculum Library houses a collection of children’s literature and teaching materials.<br />Included in the collection are:<br />Fiction and non-fiction literature for children and young adults; <br />Textbooks for grades K-12 ; <br />Special education tests; <br />and <br />a large array of <br />hands-on learning materials. <br />
2. History of the Curriculum Library<br />The Curriculum Library is housed in room 80 of Horrabin Hall in what was the Western Laboratory School library for many years.<br />To this day, it still houses the original charging desk, many of the original shelving units etc. from the laboratory school days.<br />The Curriculum Library became a branch of the University Libraries on July 1, 1991 after having been part of one of the departments in the then College of Education for a number of years.<br />In 2000, the Curriculum Library completed the last step of becoming a branch of the University Libraries by transferring their collections from the card catalog that had been used for many years to the electronic library systems used by the University Libraries.<br /> <br />The collection is cataloged under the Dewey Decimal system as are many elementary school libraries.<br />The collection has grown steadily over the years to its approximately 39,000 item holdings today.<br />
3. The Curriculum Library <br />The Curriculum Library offers a cozy environment . <br />Study carrels for individual quiet study are available<br />Tables for small group study and project work are also available. <br />
4. Curriculum Library<br />Computer workstations with printing capabilities are readily accessible. <br />
5. The Curriculum Library <br />The collection houses a large number of fiction and non-fiction books for grades preschool through 12th grade. <br />
6. Curriculum Library<br />The collection also contains a number of individual “curriculum” collections , such as textbooks for the elementary, middle school and secondary levels and teacher instruction materials.<br />
7. What makes the Curriculum Library Unique?<br /> Some of the unique items in the collection include: <br />puppets <br />puzzles<br /> educational games <br />educational software<br />CD’s of children’s songs <br />a wide array of items to aid in hands-on learning <br />
8. What makes the Curriculum Library Unique?<br />
9. Services Provided by Curriculum Library<br />Tours are given for various education classes at the beginning of each semester. The tours are given for students in all levels of education classes from introduction classes to senior field classes. Each tour is personalized to the needs of the given class.<br />The Curriculum Library presents instruction about using library resources both in the library and in the classroom. <br />
10. Services Provided by Curriculum Library<br />Classes in the College of Education and Human Services come into the Curriculum Library to use materials during class time. <br />Class time use of the library is scheduled during regular hours of operation and at special request by appointment. <br />
11. Curriculum Library<br />If you are ever in Horrabin Hall, drop by room 80 and see us. We will be happy to show you around and answer any questions you might have about our collection.<br />