2. Scanning Text / Full SentenceAnswer Tutorial A step-by-step guide to success whenanswering questions about short passages
4. Context Sonja basically understands the materialbut isn’t sure how to answer the questions.QuestionWhat is the major influence on the climate of the CaribbeanIslands?
5. Step 1Read the entire passage to get the general idea.Step 2Start reading again only this time highlight whatyou think are key words.
6. Like this
7. Like thisWinds play a big role in the climate of the Caribbean Islands.The waters in the Caribbean Sea stay warm most of the yearand heat the air over them. Warm winds blow across theislands, keeping the temperatures warm and constant year-round. The Lesser Antilles are divided into islands that facethe wind and those that are protected from the wind. Thoseprotected from the wind receive less rain.
8. Like this
9. Like thisand
10. Step 3
11. Step 3 Rephrase the question to start your answerWhat is the major influence on the climate of the CaribbeanIslands?
12. Step 3
13. Step 3 Rephrase the question to start your answerThe major influence on the climate of the Caribbean Islandsis the wind. and
14. Final Step
15. Final Step Put it all togetherThe major influence on the climate of the Caribbean Islandsis the wind.Water stays warm most of the year.Water heats the air.Warm winds blow, keeping the temperatures warm andconstant.
16. That is, basically, how it is done.Take your time.The more you do it, the easier it gets.Soon you will do it without thinking. Good luck!
17. A Mr. Thompson Production Fair Usage of copyright materialCited: 2008 McDougal Litell, a division of Houghton Mifflin Company.Transformative: Used to teach stud skills not Geography.Limited: A very short passage.No infringement on potential profit.