University of Manchester
RO Advisory Kick Off
• Publications are about argumentation: Convince
the reader of the validity of a position [Mesirov]
– Reproducible Results System: facilitates
enactment and publication of reproducible
• Results are reinforced by reproducability [De
– Explicit representation of method.
• Verifiability as a key factor in scientific discovery.
J. Mesirov Accessible Reproducible Research Science 327(5964), p.415-416,
D. De Roure and C. Goble Anchors in Shifting Sand: the
Primacy of Method in the Web of Data Web Science Conference 2010,
Raleigh NC, 2010 http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/20817/
Stodden et. al. Reproducible Research: Addressing the Need for Data and
Code Sharing in Computational Science Computing in Science and
Engineering 12(5), p.8-13, 2010 http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/MCSE.2010.113
Wf4Ever Final Review Presentations
ROs as a Currency
• An aggregation object that bundles together experimental
resources that are essential to a computational scientific study
– An identity
– A suite of annotations (which can be about this bundle
and/or the resources of the bundle)
– Aggregated Resources:
results produced in an experiment study;
(computational) methods employed to
produce and analyse that data;
people involved in the investigation.
• Essential to the understanding and interpretation of the
scientific outcomes captured by a Research Object as well as
the reuse of the resources within it.
– Provenance information about the experiments, the study
or any other experimental resources
– Evolution information about the Research Object and its
– Descriptions of computational methods
– Dependency information or settings
about the experiment executions
Vocabularies and Domains
• Thinking to date has been focused on “workflow-centric” ROs
(cf. Wf4Ever presentation to come)
– Vocabularies covering, e.g. workflow abstractions and
• Need focus on other use cases, domains and problems
– RO Advisory Board!
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.