10 Facts about Seneca Falls1. A convention for women to discuss their rights held July 19th and 20th at in Seneca Falls, New York.
2. Women leaders were Lucretia Mott, Maratha C. Wright, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Mary Ann McClintock
3. These women came together to write their own declaration to give women more rights.
4. They created the Declaration of Sentiments modeled after the Declaration of Independence.
5. James Mott and Thomas McClintock were just two of the men that attended the convention.
6. Ansel Bascom discussed a propertybill for married women that just passedthe Legislature in New York.
Quotes from the Declaration7. “He has never permitted her to exercise her inalienable right to the elective franchise.”
8. “He allows in church as well as state but a subordinate position claiming optimistic authority for her exclusion from the ministry and with some expectations from many public participation in the affairs of the church.”
9. Woman feel aggravated,oppressed and frequently deprived oftheir most sacred rights, we insist theyhave immediate admission.
10.The women knew there would be misconception, misrepresentation, and ridicule. But they believed they should continue to fight for their rights any way they could.
Sourcesp www.csus.edu/owl/index/read/sacbee/s (secondary source)p Declaration of Sentiments (primary source)