1. MondayJune 3rdTuesdayJune 4thWednesdayJune 5thWednesdayJune 5thWednesdayJune 5thThursdayJune 6thFridayJune 7thIntro / get started! Networking Use the EcosystemUse the EcosystemUse the Ecosystem Hustling in SV Setup in SV!Breakfast and WelcomeLAUNCHSVlaunchsiliconvalley.org @MicrosoftVC pitching @ Sandhill Rd.VC pitching @ Sandhill Rd.VC pitching @ Sandhill Rd.Getting to WOWw. Bill Reichert, GarageVenturesPanel: StrategicPartnershipsTop 10 mistakes, shortbuilding, price your startup, w.Bill JoosLAUNCHSVlaunchsiliconvalley.org @MicrosoftVC pitching @ Sandhill Rd.VC pitching @ Sandhill Rd.VC pitching @ Sandhill Rd.Getting to WOWw. Bill Reichert, GarageVenturesPanel: StrategicPartnershipsTop 10 mistakes, shortbuilding, price your startup, w.Bill JoosLAUNCHSVlaunchsiliconvalley.org @MicrosoftITPitch Sessionw. ShomitGhoose,OnsetventureITPitch Sessionw. ShomitGhoose,OnsetventureCleantechPitch Sessionw. KenPearlman,OceanshoreVentureGetting to WOWw. Bill Reichert, GarageVenturesPanel: StrategicPartnershipsLunch Eat & greet each otherLAUNCHSVlaunchsiliconvalley.org @MicrosoftNetwork lunch w. 5 danishSV entrepreneursNetwork lunch w. 5 danishSV entrepreneursNetwork lunch w. 5 danishSV entrepreneursLunch Session: Recruiting inthe Valleyw. Fadi Bishara, BlackboxGoogle HQCompany VisitSetting up business in SVw. Tom Pai, Ravix GroupLAUNCHSVlaunchsiliconvalley.org @MicrosoftHow to grab the attention ofthe press w. Hermione Way,The Next WebHow to grab the attention ofthe press w. Hermione Way,The Next WebHow to grab the attention ofthe press w. Hermione Way,The Next WebLunch Session: Recruiting inthe Valleyw. Fadi Bishara, BlackboxGoogle HQCompany VisitSetting up business in SVw. Tom Pai, Ravix GroupLAUNCHSVlaunchsiliconvalley.org @MicrosoftHow to grab the attention ofthe press w. Hermione Way,The Next WebHow to grab the attention ofthe press w. Hermione Way,The Next WebHow to grab the attention ofthe press w. Hermione Way,The Next Web2nd Session - pitch perfect!w. Bill JoosSURPRISE EVENTDo it well - and make it BIG!@ Secret location, w. secretguestFunding & SV equity structurew. Brad Gersich, DLA PiperLAUNCHSVlaunchsiliconvalley.org @MicrosoftIT: VisitTradeshift, SFCleantech:VisitAutodesk, SFCleantech:VisitAutodesk, SFSV Nordic Pitch Event:At Rocketspace you will pitchto +100 people.Free timePlan meetings for this timeor enjoy San FranciscoEveningPre-event networkingLaunch Silicon ValleyIndividual feedback sessionsw. 10 extraordinary advisorsMeet the locals @ Stambordin Palo Alto / San FranciscoMeet the locals @ Stambordin Palo Alto / San FranciscoMeet the locals @ Stambordin Palo Alto / San FranciscoSV Nordic Pitch Event:At Rocketspace you will pitchto +100 people.Free timePlan meetings for this timeor enjoy San FranciscoSCALEit program, spring 2013
2. PROGRAM forSCALEit IgniteJune 3 – June 7, 2013
3. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 2 May 30, 2013Welcome to SCALEit! ............................................................. 4  SCALEit CONTACT INFO:...................................................... 5  PROGRAM FOR SCALEit Ignite June 2013 .............................. 6  Monday, June 3, 2013 ......................................................... 6  Tuesday, June 4, 2013 ........................................................ 7  Wednesday, June 5, 2013 ................................................... 7  Thursday, June 6, 2013....................................................... 9  Friday, June 7, 2013 ......................................................... 10  Bios and briefing on visits and meetings ............................. 11  Monday June 3, 2013........................................................... 11  Pitch workshop ................................................................. 11  Bill  Joos,  Founder  of  Go  To  Market  Consulting  .............................................................  11  Doing business in the US and Silicon Valley ...................... 11  Tom  Pai,  Principal  at  Ravixgroup  .......................................................................................  11  Brad  Gersich,  Partner  DLA  Piper  ........................................................................................  12  Pre-event Launch Silicon Valley ........................................ 13  Tuesday, June 4, 2013......................................................... 14  Launch Silicon Valley ........................................................ 14  Evening: Feedback Session with advisors ......................... 16  Patrina  Mack,  Partner,  Managing  Partner  of  Vision  &  Execution  .........................  16  Brian  Mellea,  Strategy,  Marketing  and  Business  Development  ............................  17  John  Baer,  Senior  Executive,  Threshold  Ventures  ......................................................  17  Mike  Loftus,  Mobile  Product  and  Marketing  Leadership  .........................................  18  Sunil  Maulik,  VP,  Business  Development,  Designit  USA  ...........................................  18  Michelle  Messina,  CEO,  Explora  International  LLC  .....................................................  19  Ursula  Oesterle,  VP  of  Innovations  at  Swisscom  .........................................................  20  Henrik  Skov  Laursen,  Director,  Grundfos  Silicon  Valley  ..........................................  20  Susie  Faries,  CEO  of  SciMed  Partners  ...............................................................................  21  Wednesday, June 5, 2013.................................................... 22  Feedback Session at ICDK for CLEANTECH companies....... 22  Ken  Pearlman,  Partner  &  Managing  Director,  Oceanshore  Ventures  .................  22  Feedback Session on Sand Hill Rd. for IT companies......... 23  Shomit  Ghose,  Partner  ONSET  Ventures  .........................................................................  23  Networking lunch with successful entrepreneurs.............. 24  Martin  Frid  Nielsen,  CEO,  SoonR  ........................................................................................  24  Henrik  Rosendahl,  Senior  VP  of  Cloud  Solutions,  Quantum  Corporations  ......  25  Eric  Lagier,  CEO  and  co-­‐founder,  Memolane  .................................................................  26
5. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 4 May 30, 2013Welcome to SCALEit!We are very excited to have you on board our SCALEit Ignite event,and cannot wait to introduce you to Silicon Valley. We have a reallystrong line-up of people, ready for you to learn from and connectwith.At the startup scene in Denmark, many good ideas see daylightevery year, but in our eyes way too few make it big; with SCALEitthis is what we want to change. We accepted you being among themost promising Danish tech start-ups and invited you to SiliconValley, to discover how to compete among the best and overcomethe challenges you face. The week will expose you to the ecosystemof the Valley and help fine-tune ideas, pitches, business plans andfuture ambitions.We are very proud to present you of our strong line-up of investors,advisors, lawyers, successful American and Danish entrepreneursand tech-giants. Thank you all for taking your time to be part ofSCALEit.Enclosed you will find the full program for the week includingaddresses and contact info.We look forward to SCALing it with you!Kind regards,Frederik, Alex, Søren and LeneTeam SCALEitInnovation Centre Denmark
6. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 5 May 30, 2013SCALEit CONTACT INFO:For info on SCALEit please visit scaleit.usYou are always welcome to contact us:Lene Sjørslev SchulzeMobile: 415 812 6646Email: email@example.comSøren TherkelsenMobile: 415 702 8935Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgAlex PortillaMobile: 347 331 3209email: email@example.comFrederik Jonsbak RohdeMobile: 415 341 5380email: firstname.lastname@example.orgInnovation Center Denmark & Yggdrasil.meInnovation Center Denmark is a tangible result of Denmarksglobalization strategy with the objective to turn Denmark into aleading knowledge-based economy by 2015. This ambitiousobjective calls for innovative new approaches to position Denmark inthe global value chain. For that reason, we are creating innovativehubs in global hot spots, Silicon Valley being one of them.Innovation Center Denmark connects researchers, companies andideas between Denmark and the US in high-tech areas; CleanTech,Information & Communications Tech and Life Sciences.Yggdrasil.me is Søren’s consultancy firm. He organizes programs,advice start-ups, facilitate workshops, donate mentor time touniversity programs and teach entrepreneurship to students.
7. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 6 May 30, 2013PROGRAM FOR SCALEit Ignite June 2013Monday, June 3, 20139.00 AM Breakfast and Welcome to SiliconValleyDLA Piper2000 University Ave,East Palo Alto,CA 94303Estimated transporttime from ICDK: 20min10.00 AMPitch session 1 – Bill Joos: Top 10mistakes, Short building.Evaluation.DLA Piper1.30 PM LunchDLA Piper2.00 PMDoing/Setting up business inSilicon Valley / Tom Pai, RavixGroupDLA Piper3.00 PM-4.00 PMFunding and Law (Valuation, termsheets, funding) / Brad Gersich,DLA PiperDLA Piper6:00 PM Reception: Pre-event LaunchSilicon ValleyCooley LLP3175 Hanover Street,Palo Alto, CA 943048.00 PM End of day
8. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 7 May 30, 2013Tuesday, June 4, 2013Wednesday, June 5, 20139.00 AM-11.00 AMCleantech Pitch Session with KenPerlman, Oceanshore VenturesInnovation CentreDenmark200 Page Mill RoadSuite 100Palo Alto, CA9.30 AM-11.30 AMIT Pitch Session with ShomitGhoose, Onset VentureOnset Ventures2490 Sand Hill RoadMenlo Park, CA 94025Estimated transport time8.00 AM Launch Silicon Valley ConferenceMicrosoft1065 La Avenida StBuilding 1Mountain ViewCalifornia 94043Estimated transport timefrom ICDK: 20 minutes5.30 PM Transport to ICDKEstimated transporttime: 30 minutes6.00 PM Pitching & Feedback Session withICDK AdvisorsInnovation CentreDenmark200 Page Mill RoadSuite 100Palo Alto, CA8.30 PM End of Day
9. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 8 May 30, 2013from ICDK: 30 minutes12.00 PM-1.30 PMNetwork Lunch with successfulDanish entrepreneurs -StefanAndreasen, Eric Lagier, HenrikRosendahl, Martin Frid-Nielsen,Søren Louis Pedersen and BjarneChristensen)Three Seasons518 Bryant StreetPalo Alto, CA 943012.30 PMStart-ups: How to grab theattention of the press withHermione WayThe Villa379 Collingwood StreetSan Francisco, CA 941144.00 PM Company Visit: Autodesk orTradeshiftAutodesk Gallery atOne Market1 Market Street, Ste 200San Francisco, CA 94105Tradeshift500 Third StreetSuite 210San Francisco, CA 941076.00 PM Stambord in San FranciscoYouNoodle330 Townsend St #1San Francisco, CA 941078.00 PM End of day
10. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 9 May 30, 2013Thursday, June 6, 201310.30 AMBill Reichert: Getting to WOW - Howto distil the essence of your valueproposition into something clear,credible, and compellingBlackbox Mansion19 Selby LaneAtherton, CA 94027Estimated transporttime from ICDK: 30Minutes12.00 PM Lunch Session with Fadi Bishara:Recruiting in the ValleyBlackbox Mansion2.00 PM-4.30 PMBill Joos 2ndSession:Pitch RehearsalBlackBox Mansion4.30 PM Transport to San FranciscoEstimated transporttime: 1 hour and 15minutes6.00 PMSilicon Valley Nordic Pitch Event:Nordic Start-ups invading SiliconValleyRocket-Space181 Fremont StSan Francisco,CA 94105
11. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 10 May 30, 2013Friday, June 7, 20139.00 AM Panel: Strategic PartnershipsInnovation CentreDenmark200 Page Mill RoadSuite 100Palo Alto, CA11.30 AM Company Visit at GoogleGoogle1900 Charleston RoadMountain ViewCA 94043Estimated transporttime from ICDK: 20Minutes (Parkingdifficult)13.00 PM Lunch/Wrap-upTBD14.00 PM End of program
12. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 11 May 30, 2013Bios and briefing on visits and meetingsMonday June 3, 2013Pitch workshopBill Joos, Founder of Go To Market ConsultingBill Joos is the founder and managing director of Go ToMarket Consulting, a consulting firm dedicated toaccelerating sales and market development. Bill servedas Vice President of Entrepreneur Development atGarage Technology Ventures since its founding in 1997.He has held sales and marketing positions with avariety of companies, including IBM and AppleComputer. Bill is perhaps best known as a "Pitch Doctor" and hasassisted hundreds of entrepreneurs with refining and focusing theirpositioning and presentations. Bill earned a B.S. from JamestownCollege and pursued graduate studies at Pepperdine University.Doing business in the US and Silicon ValleyTom Pai, Principal at RavixgroupTom serves as a consulting CFO with Ravix Group. Hehas over 20 years of financial and operations experiencein technology, media, and consumer productscompanies ranging in size from start-up to Fortune 100global enterprises. Toms expertise includes strategicand operational planning, venture capital financing,mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructuring andChapter 11 reorganization. Prior to joining Ravix, Tom was the CFOand COO for several venture backed companies in online media,publishing and high technology. He was also the co-founder andprincipal in DART Partners, an investment firm specializing inunderperforming mid-sized companies, and was a senior associatewith Bank of Americas venture capital group. Tom has an M.B.A.from Carnegie Mellon University and a degree in ComputerEngineering from University of California, Santa Barbara.
13. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 12 May 30, 2013Brad Gersich, Partner DLA PiperBrad Gersich represents both emerging andsophisticated private companies in foundationalmatters, equity and debt financings, as well asstrategic transactions and other businesscombinations.Based in DLA Pipers Silicon Valley and San Franciscooffices, Mr Gersich serves as general outside counselto several leading technology companies, and offers clients practicallegal counsel with respect to the day-to-day challenges facingtodays fast-moving businesses. When a company client becomesthe target of an acquisition or pursues an initial public offering ofsecurities, Mr. Gersich will lead the legal teams that close the sale ofthe business or navigate the complexities of the IPO process.Mr Gersich also assists both prominent US venture capital firms andangel investors, as well as non-US venture capital firms and familyoffices evaluate, structure and complete investments in promisingearly stage companies. Furthermore, Mr. Gersich helps later stagecompanies, including those based outside of the United States, toacquire valuable technologies and businesses to accelerate growth ofrevenue and market share.Combining extensive experience with employment and humanresources matters with an understanding of equity compensationplans, Mr Gersich often represents senior executives of notableprivate and public companies in the negotiation of executiveemployment, retention and/or separation agreements.Finally, Mr Gersich has considerable experience in navigating thepractical and legal considerations associated with sales of capitalstock of privately held companies and has successfully guided sellersin achieving liquidity through these types of transactions.DLA PiperDLA Pipers roots in Silicon Valley date back to the 1960s, when ahandful of lawyers came together to found Ware & Freidenrich inSilicon Valley. Today, we reach out from Northern California to the
14. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 13 May 30, 2013nation and world to harness the resources of a global, integratedplatform for our clients, whether small start-ups seeking a firstfoothold overseas or large multinational corporations spreadingacross continents.With extensive experience in technology, clean tech, life sciences,retail, infrastructure and other areas, our Silicon Valley lawyersadvise corporations as well as financial institutions and venturecapitalists on general corporate matters and transactions such asmergers and acquisitions, public offerings of debt and equity, privateequity, venture capital, intellectual property licensing and productdistribution, and domestic and international employee benefits andequity compensation.Pre-event Launch Silicon ValleyNow in its 9th year, Launch: Silicon Valley2013 is firmly established as the premierproduct launch platform for start-ups from theSan Francisco Bay area, and around theworld. The event, co-presented by SVForum,Garage Technology Ventures and Microsoft,provides the next generation of emerging technology companies withthe opportunity to pitch their products to, and network with, anaudience of Silicon Valley’s top VCs, Angels, corporate businessdevelopment executives, prospective customers and partners,bloggers and media.
15. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 14 May 30, 2013Tuesday, June 4, 2013Launch Silicon ValleySilicon Valley 2013, co-presented by SVForum,Garage Technology Ventures and Microsoft,provides an effective and cost efficient platform forthe next generation of emerging CleanTech/EnergyInnovation, HealthIT/Life Science, Mobile, Internet, Robotics, 3DPrinting, Media and Technology companies to launch their productsto the world, in front of an audience of Silicon Valley’s top VCs,Angels, corporate business development executives, prospectivecustomers and partners, bloggers and media. Up to 30 of the mostinteresting companies will be invited to leverage Launch: SiliconValley 2013 as the springboard to launch their product or service,and to network with the audience of Silicon Valley’s top movers andshakers at the Pre-L:SV Event Party on the evening of June 3, aswell as at the event itself on June 4.ProgramMonday, June 3, 201306:00pm Pre-Event Party at a prestigious location in PaloAlto for Presenting Company Executives,Registered Audience Members, Bloggers, Press,Sponsors, Advisory Board and invited guests.Tuesday, June 4, 20137:30am Registration and Buffet Breakfast8:30am Opening Remarks8:40am Opening Keynote: Ray Kurzweil, author, inventor,futurist, Director of Engineering at Google, on"Innovations in Innovation"9:45am Networking Break
16. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 15 May 30, 2013Tuesday, June 4, 201310:15am Uncommon Wisdom: Guy Kawasaki shares hisinsider knowledge of where the common wisdomcan get you in trouble and what entrepreneursshould do if they want to build companies that areinsanely great.11:10am The Future of Venture Investing: Ryan Caldbeck ofCircleUp, Deborah Magid of IBM Venture Capital,Bill Reichert of Garage Technology Ventures, JohnGardener of Nokia Growth Partners, and GregSands of Costanoa Ventures, moderated by PeterDelevitt, startup & venture capital journalist for theSan Jose Mercury News11:50am Lunch + Accenture Technology Vision 2013: "EveryBusiness is a Digital Business" presented by KellyDempski, Managing Director - AccentureTechnology Labs.12:40pm Fireside Chat with the founders of Launch: SiliconValley alumni HearPlanet, Intelen, Kiverdi,Nexgate, moderated by Arturo Duran, ChiefInnovation Officer of Digital First Media01:15pm Session 1 Next Gen Internet 1 & Session 2 LifeSciences, in parallel + Accenture Technology Visionin the Exec Briefing Room2:15pm Networking Break2:30pm Session 3 Next Gen Internet 2 & Session 4 CleanTech, in parallel3:30pm Networking Break3:45pm Session 5 Mobile & Session 6 Technology, inparallel
17. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 16 May 30, 2013Tuesday, June 4, 20134:45pm Closing Keynote – Dr Mike North, presenterDiscovery Channel “Prototype This!” & founderReallocate.org5:15pm Session Winners AnnouncementEvening: Feedback Session with advisorsPatrina Mack, Partner, Managing Partner of Vision &ExecutionPatrina Mack, Managing Partner of Vision & Execution,consults with established and emerging technologycompanies in the U.S., Europe, Russia and Israel. Ms.Mack works with clients to optimize their product andbusiness strategy to enhance customer adoption andmarket penetration. She has more than 25 yearsexperience in business-to-consumer and business-to-business product, marketing and operational strategy andimplementation. Her industry expertise spans the Internet,cleantech, telecom, software, financial services, and consumerproducts.Ms. Mack is a member of the Advisory Board for Innovation CenterDenmark-Silicon Valley. She also serves as an Advisorto TechCoire and previously served as Western Regional Director forthe Product Development and Management Association, and asSustainability Mentor to CA Cleantech Open. She is a certified NewProduct Development Professional through the PDMA. In addition toher consulting practice she leads workshops and teaches courses inthe areas of Green NPD: Design for the Environment, LeveragingSocial Media for New Product Development, and Developing ProductsCustomers Want to Buy.Prior to founding her consulting practice in 1999, Ms. Mack wasresponsible for the global launch of NetGravitys SaaS solution.NetGravity, one of Forbes ASAP Dynamic 100 Companies,introduced the first ad serving software. At her previous company,
18. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 17 May 30, 2013AirTouch, she was responsible for assessing and developing marketopportunities for PCS wireless, international licenses and newservices. Ms. Mack started her career consulting with Urban Wallace& Associates serving the consumer products and financial servicesindustries.Brian Mellea, Strategy, Marketing and Business DevelopmentBrian has 20 years of consumer products and onlineservices product management, channel marketing andbusiness development. At Apple, he led worldwidepartner marketing for a $4B product line and thenwent on to manage all marketing for an $800Mvertical market. He helped launch Apples products into the retailelectronics channel. He has marketed and sold online services toconsumers with carriers. Brian ran a $125M ecommerce site sellingdirect to consumers. Brian has a BS in Engineering from WorcesterPolytechnic Institute, an MS from MIT and an MBA from the HarvardBusiness School.John Baer, Senior Executive, Threshold VenturesJon Baer of Threshold Ventures is a senior executivewho brings a unique perspective to the world ofstartups. He has been both a venture capitalist aswell as the founder and CEO of two venture backedcompanies, eBoomerang, an enterprise softwarecompany which was sold in 2006 and ArtificialMuscle, Inc., a spinout from Stanford Research Institute (SRI). As aprincipal and founder of Threshold Ventures, Jon works withcompanies around the world, serving as an advisor/mentor, workingon specific projects and when appropriate, taking on interimoperating roles. He has worked with a wide range of software,telephony, hardware and services businesses. Earlier in his careerJon was a General Partner at Oscco Ventures, a Sand Hill Roadearly-stage venture capital firm which was one of the pioneeringfirms in Silicon Valley. He has invested in a range of companiesincluding Landec, Peerless Systems, and Coinstar.
19. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 18 May 30, 2013Mike Loftus, Mobile Product and Marketing LeadershipMobile Product and Marketing Leadership* Refining company vision, positioning to create andmodify product and business plans in order achievecompany objectives* Working closely with key partners and customers to achieverevenue and strategic goals* Inspire and motivate teams to meet and exceed product goals anddelivery deadlines* Building the teams and managing business growth from 2 to 300people* Create and implement the Product Roadmap and the Go-To-MarketstrategyDeveloped several industry-first products including in-stream videoAds based on local content (AdStream), SMS delivery of Ads basedon requested search (Broadcaster Media), Press-Thru© VoiceSearchat (inFreeDA), PC in a PC virtualization (Connectix).Specialties: Mobile Product and Marketing focused Achievement-oriented senior executive, with broad, proven experience leadingtechnology-driven companies to the next level. Skilled at takingleading-edge ideas from concept to market acceptance on a globalbasis in accelerated time frames. Fortune 500 product innovator withsuccess in business management, business development, finance,operations, capital sourcing, negotiations, acquisitions, mergers &liquidations.Sunil Maulik, VP, Business Development, Designit USASunil Maulik has over twenty years of sales andbusiness development experience in Silicon Valley. Hehas co-founded three companies (PeoplePower, anenergy analytics company, 500Friends, a social e-commerce analytics company, and GeneEd, a provider
20. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 19 May 30, 2013of healthcare e-learning). In addition, he has held senior sales andmanagement positions at Pangea Systems, Tripos, Hoffmann-LaRoche, Oxford Molecular and IntelliGenetics.Sunil’s research on mathematical methods for 3-D imagereconstruction was published on the cover of the journal Nature. Hisbook “Molecular Biotechnology” (J. Wiley & Sons) sold over 4000copies and has been used in four university courses. He holdspatents in gene pattern-matching, e-learning and e-mail analytics.He was winner (in conjunction with John Teeter and Gene Wang) ofa $1.45MM SBIR grant from the DoE (2009), and with BannyBanerjee of the Stanford D-School, a GE “Ecomagination” award(2010).Michelle Messina, CEO, Explora International LLCMichelle Messina has worked with start-ups from morethan 30 countries, and government-sponsoredbusiness acceleration and competitiveness programsaround the world.Michelle is co-founder of the French Business &Innovation Accelerator (FBIA), and an advisor SAGE(Students for the Advancement of Global Entrepreneurship). Michelleis also part of the U.S. Department of State program Pathways toProsperity in the Americas for Women Entrepreneurs focused oneconomic empowerment and public-private partnerships for SMEgrowth.Alexander Zago, VP of Global Business Development - Asiaand Emerging Markets at Pinnacle Engines.Alessandro Zago has more than 10 years ofinternational and operational experience rangingfrom clean technology start-ups to venturecapital to large corporations. Prior to Pinnacle, heoversaw corporate development for APTwater,Inc., a Kleiner-backed water companycommercializing advanced water treatmentprocesses for water reuse.
21. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 20 May 30, 2013He also served as Director of Venture Technology at Siemens’Technology-to-Business Center and led its investments in early-stage, clean-tech start-ups. He served in various positions at TheBMW Group, including Innovation Manager at the BMW InternationalPurchasing Department. Alessandro holds an executive MBA fromINSEAD and a Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering from StanfordUniversity.Ursula Oesterle, VP of Innovations at SwisscomSince 2003, Ursula has been managing Swisscom’sopen innovation and scouting activities out ofSilicon Valley. She was based in Singapore from2007- 2009 to build up the Asia Pacific network.Prior to Swisscom she worked in a start-up insemiconductor lasers in Switzerland and wasProgram Manager of a Swiss National Science Program spinningtechnology out from academia. She holds a PhD in physics fromEPFL and has a business degree from IMD in Lausanne.Henrik Skov Laursen, Director, Grundfos Silicon ValleyHenrik Skov Laursen is managing Grundfos’ cleantechoffice located in Palo Alto, California. Through PaloAlto Grundfos work with research, academicinstitutions and start-up companies to be the catalystin creating new sustainable business and productsolutions within water technologies and buildingefficiency. Henrik Skov Laursen has lead many new businesscreation activities in Grundfos one of which has been theestablishment of Grundfos’ Water Technology Center in Fresno, CAPrior Mr. Laursen worked as Business Director for the industrialmarkets in North America and before that as Global ProductBusiness Manager for Grundfos new line of Digital Dosing pumps.Mr. Laursen is the chairman of the BlueTechValley.org water hubinitiative in California and board member in one of Grundfos’strategic investments in Silicon Valley.
22. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 21 May 30, 2013Susie Faries, CEO of SciMed PartnersSusie Faries is CEO of SciMed Partners. SciMed, headquartered inthe Bay Area, helps established companies, potential investors, andentrepreneurs assess markets, technologies, and intellectualproperty in the scientific and medical arenas. SciMed focuses onmedical devices, medicine, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, andemerging technologies. Susie Faries has held senior executive levelpositions with major US corporations including Vice President ofMarketing for American Medical Response, the largest provider ofemergency medical services in the US ($1 billion in revenue) andVice President of Marketing for American Medical Pathways, thetechnology subsidiary of American Medical Response. She hasworked in large and start-up environments in medical devices andhealth care technologies. She is the former CEO of SMS Healthcare,headquartered first in Virginia then Denver, with offices in NorthCarolina and West Virginia. She comes from a family ofentrepreneurs that has an 89-year track record of successfulbusiness operations.
23. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 22 May 30, 2013Wednesday, June 5, 2013Feedback Session at ICDK for CLEANTECH companiesKen Pearlman, Partner & Managing Director, OceanshoreVenturesKen Pearlmans 30 years of experience includesresearch and investments in materials, chemicals,electronics and technology industries. Prior to co-founding Oceanshore, he managed private equityinvestment activities for Firsthand Capital, where hefocused on early stage deals in semiconductors andgreen technology. Before that, Ken was with CIBCWorld Markets, where he was Executive Director of SemiconductorResearch. While at CIBC, he achieved the distinction of becomingone of the Wall Street Journals All-Star Analysts in 1999 and 2000.Prior to joining CIBC, Kens semiconductor research experienceincluded tenures at Dean Witter Reynolds, Inc.; Robertson, Stephens& Company; and Dataquest. Kens technology industry experienceincludes eight years in engineering positions at RaychemCorporation, 3M Company, and Exxon Office Systems. He holds twopatents.Ken has a bachelors degree in biology from the University ofCalifornia at Riverside and a masters degree in businessadministration from Santa Clara University, and is a CharteredFinancial Analyst. He currently serves on the boards of Crystal Solar,EnerVault and Lumiette, and works with the team evaluating newtechnologies and developing industry relations. Previously, he ledearly rounds and sat on the boards of Confluence Solar, GlobalLocate, Silicon Genesis, Solaicx, and SoloPower.Oceanshore VenturesOceanshore Ventures helps private companies get the early stageoperating capital and access to world-class, international networks ofsuppliers, technologists and business leaders that they need todevelop successfully. We are committed to making investments in
24. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 23 May 30, 2013early stage companies that develop breakthrough advancedmaterials-based technologies in renewable energy, energy storage,and energy efficiencies, and that hold the promise of deliveringhighly competitive solutions to the global market.Our mission is to be the preferred investor in privately heldtechnology companies that are able to radically transform the waythe world uses and stores energy.Feedback Session on Sand Hill Rd. for IT companiesShomit Ghose, Partner ONSET VenturesShomit Ghose joined ONSET Ventures in 2001after 19 years of working at high-tech companiesin the Silicon Valley. During his career heparticipated in several successful IPOs, includingthose of Sun Microsystems and Broadvision.Prior to joining ONSET, he was Sr. VP of Operations at TumbleweedCommunications, where he managed the marketing, professionalservices, applications engineering and corporate developmentdepartments. He helped the company through a successful IPO in1999. Previously, he was VP of the Worldwide Professional ServicesOrganization at BroadVision and helped that company through asuccessful IPO in 1996.His first job was as network protocol engineer at Metaphor ComputerSystems, a company acquired by IBM. Later, he was an engineer inthe original pre-IPO software development team at SunMicrosystems. He has also been Director of Marketing and thenDirector of Asia/Pacific Operations for nCUBE, a manufacturer ofvideo-on-demand servers, and a board member of Alier, a dataintegration software company that is now part of webMethods.Shomit was awarded two academic scholarships to the University ofCalifornia, Berkeley, at age 15. He graduated in 1982 with a degreein Computer Science.
25. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 24 May 30, 2013At ONSET Ventures, Shomit focuses on software, networking andinfrastructure companies. He also mentors and providesmanagement resources to portfolio companies to help maximizetheir success.Shomit led ONSET’s investments in Adara Media, Gridstore, Netseer,Pancetera (acquired by Quantum), Sentilla and Truviso (acquired byCisco). He is an Industry Fellow and lead venture coach at UCBerkeley’s College of Engineering, and serves on theentrepreneurship advisory board at the University of San Francisco.ONSET VenturesONSET Ventures helps entrepreneurs transform great ideas intosuccessful businesses. We invest in information technology andmedical markets, leveraging both disruptive technologies anddisruptive business models. In information technology, we focus onmobility, new media and infrastructure software. Within medicaltechnology, we focus on medical devices, drug delivery, diagnosticsand healthcare information technology.We invest in businesses at all stages. Our specialty is working withinventors and entrepreneurs at the earliest stages to help themcreate a business from their vision. We get in the trenches with youto help identify markets, build business models and find the idealmanagement team. It’s our personalized approach that makes usdifferent – “venture craftsmanship”- and it’s why so manyentrepreneurs choose to work with ONSET Ventures again and again.You want to change the world. We want to help.Networking lunch with successful entrepreneursMartin Frid Nielsen, CEO, SoonRMartin is a business software and Internet servicesveteran, with a proven track record of creatingcategory defining products and offerings over thelast couple of decades.Before founding SoonR, he spent 3 years in variousexecutive positions at enterprise software provider
26. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 25 May 30, 2013Merant including VP of Development, and was actively involved inselling the company to Serena for about $400 million in 2004. Priorto joining Merant through an acquisition, Martin was at NetObjectsfor over six years, where he was the VP of R&D since founding andthrough its IPO in 1999, he was instrumental in defining andcreating the companys leading web-authoring product NetObjectsFusion. He was also a principal of Hilltop Software Technologies, aprovider of pre-internet communication applications and consultingservices. Prior to that, Martin spent ten years at BorlandInternational in senior engineering and program managementpositions.Products included Sidekick 1.0 & 2.0, the companys hit personalinformation organizer that created a new market category, PersonalInformation Management. Martin is a named inventor on four (4)U.S. Patents related to data synchronization and web authoringtechnologies.Henrik Rosendahl, Senior VP of Cloud Solutions, QuantumCorporationsMr. Henrik Rosendahl serves as Senior VicePresident of Cloud Solutions at QuantumCorporation. Mr. Rosendahl served as Vice Presidentof Cloud Solutions at Quantum Corporation sinceApril 2012. He served as the Chief Executive Officerof Pancetera Software, Inc. since January 2010. Heis a successful serial entrepreneur with extensive businessdevelopment and sales experience. He served as Chief ExecutiveOfficer of Thinstall Inc. since October 2006. He foundedIn2itive Technologies in 1992, which was successfully sold to SPSSin 1997. Mr. Rosendahl served as Director of ApplicationVirtualization at VMware, Inc. from January 2008 to December 2009.He served as Chief Executive Officer of Interse A/S and VicePresident of IT Factory Inc. He served as an Executive Vice Presidentof PremiTech Inc. He held executive and senior leadership positionsat several technology companies in the U.S. and Europe. He servesas the Chairman of The Board at SnapVolumes, Inc. He serves as aDirector of Pancetera Software, Inc. Mr. Rosendahl has undertakenthe MIT Sloan Marketing Program for High-Tech executives.
27. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 26 May 30, 2013Eric Lagier, CEO and co-founder, MemolaneEric is the CEO and co-founder of Memolane. Anentrepreneur at heart who enjoys hiking with thefamily, Danish cuisine, everything by Diana Krall,the quest for the perfect pair of noise-cancellingheadphones, and regularly jumping into the BalticSea. Before cofounding Memolane, Eric previouslyfounded TigerTag, and worked at Skype, Oracle and TDC in variousbusiness development and marketing roles. He is a graduate ofCopenhagen Business School and the Boston University School ofManagement.Bjarne Christensen, Founder and Developer,TightDBBjarne Christensen comes from a background inNokia, where he was part of the global team of SCM(Software Configuration Management) expertscoordinating and steering the SCM environment inNokia. In 2011, Bjarne Christensen co-founded TightDB, and iscurrently living in Silicon Valley taking his company to the next level.Bjarne has a master degree from DTU.Stefan Andreasen, Founder and CTO, Kapow SoftwareStefan Andreasen is a true entrepreneur, innovatorand net-worker with more than 25-year experiencein software. He spent five years in Boston withAdvanced Visual Systems working on cutting-edgeJava and visual programming projects. In 1998 hestarted Kapow as the largest European marketplacefor cars, real estate and boats for sale. The items for sales wascollected from dealers websites and published on www.kapow.net.The Web ETL software is based on a scalable automation browserwith full AJAX support, using flow-chart based visual navigation andprogramming, to allow for hyper-agile integration and automationbetween applications on the web (inside and outside firewall). In2001 Stefan Andreasen sold the marketplace to the largest bank inDenmark and changed Kapow into a software company - Kapow
28. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 27 May 30, 2013Software. The software was developed into a full poweredEnterprise-class Cloud and Application integration platform nowserving more than 500 companies worldwide. In 1995 StefanAndreasen relocated himself and the company headquarter to PaloAlto in California where he is now the Founder & CTO of KapowSoftware.Stefan is a frequent blogger on www.kapowsoftware.com/blog andspeaks at many industry events about innovation and integrationsoftware trends.Søren Louis Pedersen, Director Strategic Sale, LitePointSøren Louis Pedersen is a true entrepreneur, with aspecialty in relation, negotiation and strategic salesfrom +20 years in B2B sales.In 2009 he co-founded Libratone, a wirelessspeaker focused on Apple Iphone/Ipad and MAC/PCusers. In 2011 Libratone was awarded the CESAward for Best Speaker.This year, Søren Louis Pedersen joined LitePoint, as Director ofStrategic sales, focusing on business sale in North America. Sørenalso serves as a Mentor/Advisor at StartX, Stanford.PR session – how to promote your startupHermione Way, Tech Journalist, entrepreneur, The Next WebHermione Way is a journalist and new mediaentrepreneur. Having graduated as a journalist (andeven before graduating, completing a National Councilfor the Training of Journalists qualification; somethingusually taken as a post-graduate) Hermione hasshown an impressive track record of establishinginnovative businesses in the new media space.She started her first venture, Newspepper.com in the second year ofher degree, using money from her student loan to buy the first pieceof equipment. Newspepper began essentially as a citizen journalist
29. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 28 May 30, 2013video production company with one key difference; it employedstudent and graduate filmmakers and journalists enabling them toget much-needed paid vocational media work experience. Havinghad substantial experience of working for media organisations whilstat University, Hermione opted not to take a position with anotheremployer, but rather to seek to take the Newspepper concept andturn it into a profitable business model, whilst ensuring it remainedtrue to the founding principle of providing vocational training. Byfocussing solely on the production of video content designed for theInternet, Newspepper is able to offer its clients a unique proposition.Firstly the costs associated with online distribution are significantlylower than those for conventional video, partly because the costs arelower, but also because the quality of footage required is not as highas for traditional video presentation, enabling the use of cheaper(and more portable) recording equipment. Secondly, it providessignificant flexibility in terms of how the content is distributed,ranging from live (uncut) footage of events to more formal pre-recorded content.Finally, Newspepper offers its clients extensive expertise inexploiting the viral nature of the internet (such as the use of socialnetworking sites like Twitter and Facebook) to ensure their videocontent receives the widest possible exposure. It is thanks to theunique business model which Hermione developed, that has allowedNewspepper, in a very short space of time, to build up an impressiveclient base which includes the BBC, Channel 4, BT and a number ofgovernment departments. On its own, Newspepper is highlyimpressive. However, it is a measure of her determination and drivethat Hermione not only runs her own production company, but hasalso established herself as an online journalist in her own right. Herlatest venture, Techfluff.tv is an online video channel, which reportson European Internet culture in a light-hearted irreverent manner.The channel, which has Hermione as its anchor presenter, uses ateam of local correspondents from across Europe and reports ontechnology and social media developments.Targeted at people interested in and active in the Europeantechnology sector, in less than a year it has already built up a cultfollowing of 35,000 viewers a month, and an ancillary audience on
30. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 29 May 30, 2013Twitter of 18,000. In addition to its remit of providing news, it alsohas an entrepreneurial focus and includes an opportunity forentrepreneurs to present their ideas to investors in a regular onlineelevator pitch feature.Techfluff’s video content has been licensed to the Daily Telegraphand partnerships have been struck with a number of technologysites. Techfluff is not only a viable business in its own right, it alsoserves as a showcase for Newspepper and Hermione herself.In addition to her business activities, Hermione is active inpromoting entrepreneurship and encouraging more women tobecome involved in technology. In a very short space of time shehas become a leading figure in new media and Internet startups inLondon and globally. In addition to her wide-ranging onlinebroadcasting activities where she regularly produces content on arange of issues, she regularly appears on Sky News as an internetcommentator.San Francisco: Company visitAutodeskThe Autodesk Gallery at One Market in San Francisco celebrates thedesign process that takes a great idea and turns it into a reality.With more than 20 different exhibits regularly on display thatshowcase the innovative work of Autodesk customers, the galleryillustrates the role technology plays in great design and engineering.Innovation and SustainabilityThe Autodesk Gallery at One Market is Platinum certified in the U.S.Green Building Council’s LEED for Commercial Interiors (LEED-CI)rating system. The Autodesk Gallery was only the second project inthe state of California to earn a Platinum rating for LEED-CI. Designfirms Anderson Anderson Architecture and HOK plus generalcontracting firm DPR Construction worked with Autodesk to renovatethe space using an integrated project delivery (IPD) approach—anemerging business model in the building industry that allows theentire extended team to collaborate and efficiently drive projectstoward their best outcomes.
31. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 30 May 30, 2013Susan Gladwin, Senior Global Program Manager, AutodeskAs Autodesk’s clean tech initiative global lead,Susan Gladwin is responsible for leading thecompany’s clean tech program and industrystrategy. In this role, Ms. Gladwin managesAutodesk’s partnerships with clean tech companiesand stakeholders in North America, Europe andAsia, and also tracks the sector’s sustainability best practices. In2009, she was responsible for launching the Autodesk Clean TechPartner Program, designed to assist clean tech startups throughdeployment of Autodesk digital prototyping software. Ms. Gladwin ison the faculty of the California College of the Arts’ MBA in DesignStrategy program, where she co-developed the Sustainability Studiocurriculum. She served on the board of directors for Silicon ValleyToxics Coalition and was part of the founding team of the CleanTechnology Open and served as its sustainability chair. Prior to herwork with Autodesk, Ms. Gladwin founded Gladwin Consulting, astrategic marketing consulting practice that serves both venture-backed and established technology, digital media, and consumerbrand companies as well as select non-profits, building on herprevious management experience with Apple and other technologybrands. Susan Gladwin holds a Bachelor of Science degree from theUniversity of Massachusetts at Amherst and studied internationalpolitical economy at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark.TradeshiftTradeshift is a global startup with the ambition tochange the way we do business by allowingorganizations to exchange invoices for free. Itconnects businesses to all their suppliers andcustomers regardless of company size not only saving time but alsoensuring they get paid faster at both ends of the supply chain. Theinitial driver behind Tradeshifts foundation was frustration withavailable solutions and technology, but soon the companys foundersrealized that a fundamental shift in the focus of business networkswas needed. They aimed to create a new kind of network – one thatfocused on people and business relationships as well as transactions.On top of electronic invoicing, Tradeshift provides users with a range
32. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 31 May 30, 2013of revolutionary value added services, such as Instant Payments andCloudScan®. Tradeshift has offices in San Francisco, Copenhagenand London with customers across 190 countries. Customers includeKuehne + Nagel, TDC and the NHS. Tradeshift was awarded BestEnterprise 2010 at The TechCrunch Europe startup awards.Mikkel Hippe Brun, Chief Strategy Officer, TradeshiftMikkel is the Chief Strategy Officer of Tradeshift. Heholds a MS in Computer Science and has had a longcareer in IT in both private and public sector. Mikkelwas Technical Director of the 30 million Euro PEPPOLproject (Pan European Public Procurement Online). Hewas also CTO and co-founder of Integrator UniwareA/S, a company that developed advanced database publishing andpagination software.Mikkel joined the National IT and Telecom Agency in 2002, initiallyas an independent consultant, later as Chief Consultant responsiblefor Danish eInvoicing standards and eInvoicing infrastructure. Mikkelis active in international standardization and was one of the creatorsof the global XML e-business standard UBL.Stambord in San FranciscoJoin your fellow Danes at our monthly Stambord SF at YouNoodle HQin SoMa, San Francisco. Usually around 20 people in SF meets forthese monthly Danish meetups, and there are always new faces.Feel free to catch a game of ping-pong or chat over a cold beer - ouroffices are what you would expect from a very informal SF start-upcompany. We will get some beer and wine for the occasion, but feelfree to bring some as well, as were all volunteers and have aminimal budget. DACC and ICDK will kindly be sponsoring ourappetizers, and YouNoodle our venue and drinks. DACC is theDanish-American Chamber of Commerce, and ICDK is InnovationCenter Denmark, both friends of DABGO.
33. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 32 May 30, 2013Thursday, June 6, 2013Workshop: Getting to WowBill Reichert, Garage VenturesBill Reichert is a Managing Director of GarageTechnology Ventures, a seed-stage and early-stageventure capital firm based in Palo Alto, California.Garage makes focused investments in promising early-stage technology companies and works intensively withthem to help them grow and succeed. Bill has been amember of the Board of Directors of MiaSole, CaseStack, WhiteHatSecurity, ClearFuels Technology, ThermoCeramix, cFares, and STEPLabs (acquired by Dolby Labs). Some of Garage’s earlierinvestments include Pandora Media (NYSE: P), Digital Fountain(acquired by Qualcomm), Coremetrics (acquired by IBM), iNest(acquired by LendingTree), Psionic (acquired by Cisco), LeftHandNetworks (acquired by HP), Answers.com (NSDQ: ANSW), HokuScientific (NSDQ: HOKU), and Kaboodle (acquired by Hearst Corp).Bill Reichert brings his experience as a serial entrepreneur to hiswork with Garage’s portfolio companies. Prior to joining Garage inearly 1998, he was co-founder of Academic Systems, a softwarecompany funded by Kleiner Perkins, Accel Partners, and Microsoft.Academic Systems became the leading developer of network-basedmultimedia instructional materials for colleges and universities, andwas acquired by Plato Learning (NSDQ: TUTR). Prior to AcademicSystems, Bill Reichert was a senior executive at several venture-backed technology companies, including The Learning Company,which was the leading developer of educational software in theUnited States before its acquisition in 1994, and Infa Technologies, apen-based computer company that developed many of the conceptsunderlying the Newton, Palm, and iPhone devices. Bill Reichert alsoco-founded Trademark Software, which was subsequently acquiredby Dow Jones, while in graduate school at Stanford.Earlier in his career, Bill Reichert worked for McKinsey & Co., theinternational management-consulting firm, the World Bank inWashington, DC, and Brown Brothers Harriman & Co., in New York.
34. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 33 May 30, 2013He has authored and co-authored several articles and speeches onentrepreneurship, venture capital, international trade, and monetarypolicy. Bill Reichert earned his BA in History and Science fromHarvard University and his MBA from Stanford University. He is amember of the Council on Foreign Relations in New York, and is aformer Chairman of the Churchill Club in Silicon Valley.Lunch Session: Recruiting in the ValleyFadi Bishara, Founder of BlackBoxFadi has in-depth knowledge and experience relatedto building successful start-ups in Silicon Valley andelsewhere in the world. For over 15 years, he hasbeen successfully matching human capital andventure capital needs across the globe, guidingtalented technology entrepreneurs in their path.As the founder of Blackbox, his vision is to accelerate entrepreneurs,regardless of their geographic location. Fadi is also a Venture Partnerat Sinbad Ventures, a fund that invests in early stage technologystart-ups from Arabia.Prior to founding Blackbox, Fadi was the Founder and CEO oftechVenture, building teams for early-stage startups. He played keyrole in recruiting and building core teams of great companies such asChromatic Research/ATI, Intraspect/VGNT, Inktomi/YHOO,PeakStream/GOOG, SixAprt/SayMedia, Blurb, Bebo/AOL,Splunk/SPLK, Zynga/ZNGA, Lala/AAPL, Tapulous/DIS,CubeTree/SFSF, ShopKick, Apture/GOOG, and others.Having first-hand experience building teams for over 100 start-ups, hes afrequent speaker and an advisor/mentor with startup acceleratorssuch as SeedCamp, HackFwd, StartupBootcamp, StartupChile,Skolkovo Startup Academy, and many other global initiatives.BlackBoxBlackbox was founded in mid December 2010 by Bjoern LasseHerrmann, Max Marmer, Fadi Bishara and Aleksandra Markova.Inspired by the global explosion of startups contrasted with theirvery high failure rates, they decided to find a scalable way to
35. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 34 May 30, 2013accelerate start-ups. The company has two core entities: blackboxlabs and the startup genome. Blackbox labs is an accelerator andcommunity for entrepreneurs located at blackbox mansion. Thestartup genome is an R&D project uncovering the mechanics ofstart-ups. Blackbox evolved out of four organizations techVenture,Cofounder Network, Founders First and Startup School. Those havea combined track record of having worked with 100+ companies, 76funded, 16 exits (including Bebo, Tapulous, Lala, Zynga). Blackboxmansion is currently home to 14 technology entrepreneurs. In thelast 6 months 30+ events with selected entrepreneurs and investorshave taken place at blackbox mansion. Blackbox has partnered with30+ seed accelerators & early stage investors from around theglobe. Blackboxs portfolio is made up of approximately 80%internet start-ups and 20% in emerging technologies. The startupgenome project launched in February and released its first report onSaturday, May 28th. The research was conducted in collaborationwith Stanford and Berkley faculty members. Advisors of blackboxinclude Saad Khan, Steve Blank and Daniel Kraft.Pitch Event: Nordic Startups invading Silicon ValleyThe Nordics is well known for its technological innovations andsuccesful startups. Companies such as Skype, MySQL, Spotify,Navision, Medallia, Podio, Rovio, Tradeshift, iZeetle, Zendesk,Endomondo, Bipper, WeVideo all emerged from this fairly coldenvironment in the northern part of Europe. But did you also knowthat Linux was developped in Finland? And that C++, Turbo Pascal,C sharp (and thereby .net), PHP and Ruby on Rails were initiated byDanish developers? You probably didnt..How can a few cold countries, with a combined population the size ofTexas, do so well at a global scale? What makes the Nordic Region ahotbed for innovation?Find out on Thursday evening June 6 at Rocket Space in SanFrancisco and meet the next wave of Nordic tech startups that arelooking to impact Silicon Valley and beyond.
36. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 35 May 30, 2013Agenda6:30 Drinks & Networking7:00 Welcome - A quick welcome - thanks for coming!7:05 Panel: Tech development in the nordics - from a VCperspectiveA discussion on the current state of the Nordics and what is to come.How does it tie into Silicon Valley? And where will the nextopportunities arise?A Panel of Active Silicon Valley investors with strong ties to theNordic Region talks about taking advantage of these two regions.Panelists TBD7:30 Pitch session - 20 Nordic StartupsPromising startups from Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland, willpitch their products in fast paced one minute pitches.8.00 Fireside chat with David Helgason, CEO and Co-founder,Unity Technologies.Andrew Keen from TechCrunch will Interview David Helgason abouthis successful startup journey from founding his company inDenmark and raising funds in Silicon Valley to rapid growth andglobal scale.8:30 Networking and drinksOpen mixer and networking9:30 AfterpartyIn collaboration with StartupSocial, we have organized an afterparty- and you are invited!
37. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 36 May 30, 2013Friday, June 7, 2013Panel: Strategic PartnershipsDr. Cyril Vancura, Investment Director, Robert Bosch VentureCapitalCyril Vancura is an Investment Director based in PaloAlto. He focuses on finding investment opportunitiesfor RBVC in North America, technical evaluations, andtechnical due diligence. Before joining RBVC, Cyril wasat the Research and Technology Center of RobertBosch in Palo Alto, where he worked on novel MEMSprocesses, power harvesting for autonomos systems,and photovoltaic technologies.Prior to this, Cyril conducted research in the field of CMOS-basedMEMS sensors for biological and chemical applications during hisPh.D. thesis. Cyril holds a Ph.D. and a diploma (masters) in physicsfrom the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zurich,Switzerland.Martin Manniche, Co-founder and CTO, GreenWave RealityMr. Martin Manniche co-founded GreenWave RealityPte. Ltd. in 2008 and serves as its Chairman andChief Technology Officer. Mr. Manniche is responsiblefor guiding the top-level technology direction ofGreenWave Reality. Prior to founding GreenWaveReality, he served as Chief Technology Officer atCisco Systems’ Consumer Business Group, where he headed theCisco Connected Home architecture team and drove Z-Wave® andZigBee® technology over TCP/IP, HomePlug, MoCA and WiFistandards. He was a Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer ofDenmark’s KiSS Technology, where he helped taking the world’s firstDivX player to market. Other technology firsts he helped enableinclude the HDD recorder and the world’s first connected DVDplayer. His talent, commitment and passion for technologicalinnovation have earned him more than 100 industry accolades,including an IT-Prisen, Denmark’s most prestigious award.
38. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 37 May 30, 2013Henrik Skov Laursen, Director at Grundfos Silicon ValleyHenrik Skov Laursen is managing Grundfos’cleantech office located in Palo Alto, California.Through Palo Alto Grundfos work with research,academic institutions and start-up companies to bethe catalyst in creating new sustainable businessand product solutions within water technologies andbuilding efficiency. Henrik Skov Laursen has leadmany new business creation activities in Grundfos one of which hasbeen the establishment of Grundfos’ Water Technology Center inFresno, CA Prior Mr. Laursen worked as Business Director for theindustrial markets in North America and before that as GlobalProduct Business Manager for Grundfos new line of Digital Dosingpumps. Mr. Laursen is the chairman of the BlueTechValley.org waterhub initiative in California and board member in one of Grundfos’strategic investments in Silicon Valley.Gary Yao, Advanced Technology Manager, HTC AmericaGary Yao is with HTC Corporation, a global leader insmartphone innovation and design. As AdvancedTechnology Manager at HTC America Innovation, Garyis responsible for technology scouting, evaluation, andpotential acquisitions. Located in San Francisco, Garyis working with the team to continue exploringbreakthrough and disruptive technologies in SiliconValley and worldwide; push the boundaries of design to createpersonal experience for customers around the globe. Prior to joiningHTC, Gary had many years’ experience in hardware design andsemiconductor industry, involved in integrated circuit design,embedded system, and device manufacturing for mobile computingand consumer electronics.Gary Yao earned MSEE degree from UC Riverside, and received MBAdegree in Finance from Santa Clara University, Leavey School ofBusiness.
39. Program SCALEit Spring 2013 Page 38 May 30, 2013Visit and tour of Google CampusChristian Stefansen, Product Manager, GoogleChristian Stefansen works on the Native Clientproject at Google in Mountain View, CA. Prior tojoining Google, he was a Postdoctoral Researcher atthe University of Copenhagen, conducting researchon Reactors, a declarative programming model fordistributed computing, and on using process calculi,in particular CSP calculus, to express financial contracts. ChristianStefansen received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees from the Universityof Copenhagen. In 2004-05 he was a Fulbright Scholar at HarvardUniversity. He also holds a degree in Business Administration fromCopenhagen Business School.Morten Lundsby Jensen, Online Help Manager, GoogleMorten Lundsby Jensen works as a online helpmanager at Google in Mountain View, CA. At GoogleMorten leads a team of online help specialist buildingonline support and education websites for Google’sAdWords advertisers. Before joining Google, Mortenworked as a freelance consultant developing andbuilding websites for university departments to store and distributetheir research. Morten holds a master in Information Studies fromAarhus University.
40. SCALEit IGNITE JUNE 2013Companies___________________________________________________RushfilesFounder: Contact:Morten Klang E-mail: email@example.comMartin Haslund Johansson E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.rushfiles.comBrief company description:RushFiles provides software, making it possible for hosting providers to Cloud-enable theirfile-storage. With RushFiles the provider can offer a secure solution for corporate file-sharing and mobile file-access from the providers own infrastructure.AppflowerFounder: ContactJimmi Andersen E-mail: email@example.comWeb: www.appflower.comBrief company description:Say goodbye to expensive software development. Appflower helps companies, beginnersor experts, built stunning business applications in minutes without any coding.
41. StockPeaksStockPeaksFounder: Contact:Kenneth Hufeldt E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.stockpeaks.comBrief company descriptionStockPeaks provides crowdsourced stock price expectations via smart phones and directdata feeds to private investors and financial institutions, reducing the struggle for directionin a heavy flow of ambiguous informationDukaPCFounder: Contact:Erik Hougaard E-mail: eho@dukaPC.dkWeb: www.dukapc.dkCompany description:DukaPC helps seniors and people without computer skills and experience get access to acomputer and the internet with full service personalized solutions. Through a turnkeysolution DukaPC is able to sell hardware, software and broadband services to thisunderserved customer group.INGENIUM GolfFounder Contact:Jakob Markussen E-mail: email@example.comJens Søndergaard E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.ingeniumgolf.dkCompany description:Ingenium Golf provides intelligent golf experiences to golfers and golf clubs, throughautomatic tracking equipment and services that improve golf performance and providevaluable data and insight to optimize golf club operations.
42. ZZZeroContact:Lars Malling E-mail: email@example.comWeb: www.zzzero.euBrief company description:ZZzero offers an innovative energy saving technology that can eliminate standby powerin many electronic applications. ZZzero’s Power Supply is a patented new standardcomponent with simple integration into most existing circuit board designs for consumerelectronics and other grid connected appliances and devicesBladenaFounder: Contact:Find Jensen Mølholt E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.bladena.comBrief company description:Bladena develops technology that improves the performance of wind power installationswith structural enhancements to wind turbine blades that increase the blade lifetime andreduce maintenance cost and downtime.SUNTUBESUNTUBEFounder: Contact:Peter Vesborg E-mail: email@example.comBrief company description:Suntube has developed a disruptive new solar module made specifically for mechanizeddeployment, eliminating core cost driver for utility scale solar power plants: installationcost. With its unique deployment and packaging system SunTube will enable massivesavings in manual labor.
43. ActionplannerFounder: Contact:Victor Veloso E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.veloso.dkBrief company description:ActionPlanner offers a next generation SaaS platform for more efficient action plansExecution. With real time graphical OVERVIEWS it is now transparent who is committed towhat and how the action is progressing. By combining elements from social, gaming andperformance software ActionPlanner takes Execution to the next level.RelationwiseFounder: Contact:Andersen Christian E-mail: email@example.comClaus Holm E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.relationwise.comBrief company description:The only SaaS solution that enables SMBs to automatically measure customer loyaltyand employee performance, in real time, via smartphones and tablets. Qualifyingbusinesses to act to changes in real-time, and continuously strive for excellence
44. KiggitFounder: Contact:Jakob Hagemann E-mail: email@example.comThomas Baastrup Jacobsen E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.kiggit.comBrief company description:Kiggit is a social livescores and predictions platform for true football fans and friends. OnKiggit users can follow livescores, comment on matches, predict and challenge friends in acompelling flow of realtime and historical football data.  CoagiumFounder Contact:Jesper Sørensen email@example.comSøren Ree Andersen firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.coagium.dkBrief company descriptionModern day workforce are tethered to a screen. The lack ofnatural light negatively impacts our mental capacity and energylevel. Coagiums patented intelligent computer daylight system, Lifelights, keeps your brainalert, restores your energy and thereby improves productivity
45. wybraFounder: Contact:Martin Sander E-mail: Martin@wybra.comWeb: www.wybra.comBrief company descriptionWybra is based on the idea of making it easier for people to meet up in the in the realworld and create new personal relations. On wybra.com people can join everydayactivities and create their own - whether you want to meet up for a sports activity, a culturalevent or just want to meet like-minded people for a coffee is up to you.Founder: Contact:Klaus Moth E-mail: Klaus.email@example.comWeb: www.leaneco.comBrief company description:LeanEco develops uninterruptible power supplies (UPS), ensuring 100% uptime of criticalinfrastructure and equipment. LeanEco’s technology protects hospitals, factories, datacenters, security systems and other key infrastructure from outages on the grid, and powerdisruptions due to lightning, noise and over-and under voltage.Founder: Contact:Christian Brøndum firstname.lastname@example.orgMikkel Lomholt email@example.comAnders Frederiksen firstname.lastname@example.orgWeb: www.planday.comBrief company description:Planday offers an online workforce-scheduling app that empowers managers andemployees through a shared real-time overview. We decrease administration time by up to75% and save up to 5% of the total staff cost.