• When I was first assigned to do a week of
Twitter, I was beyond confused.
• Now I understand the importance of being
able to connect with millions of people at the
click of a mouse.
#2 Interesting Facts about the
Evolution of Public Relations
• The first, most important people to start
practicing PR were: Edward Bernays, Ivy Lee,
George Creel and John W. Hill
• Also, Teddy Roosevelt was the first president
to utilize press conferences and press
• My favorite fact about the history of PR was
the propaganda coordinated by Edward
Bernays. (Continued on next Slide)
Edward Bernays and “The Torches of
• Bernays contracted with the tobacco industry. At
this time, very few women smoked.
• Bernays decided if he could make smoking
attractive to women, the tobacco industry would
double their profits.
• In the New York Easter Parade, many beautiful
women marched, and at the signal of Bernays lit
up cigarettes, or their “torches of freedom.
• By participating in a male-dominant act, this
movement helped women see themselves as
equals to men.
More Information about Bernays
• Click to see a video of Edward Bernays and his
#3 Thank You Notes (Times 2)
• After an interview, make sure to send a thank
you note in an email AND mail a copy to their
address. That’s why it is always a good idea to
grab a business card.
• The follow up thank you letter shows
thoroughness, which many potential
employees will not display.
#4 All About Blogging
• The most beneficial thing I think I have done in this
class is having and maintaining a blog.
• The only kind of social networking I had ever done
before this class was Facebook, and way back in the
• A professional-looking blog is important in this field
so employers can see
your writing skills.
• Once again, this is something I had never done
before, and new very little about.
• To help with my confusion, I watched a YouTube
video by Jason Rhode of Northern Illinois
• I listened to a podcast about Seth Godin’s book
Tribes, and gained an interest in the world of
• I thought it was great that Ms. Nixon, my
professor, would upload podcasts of our classes
to her blog.
#6 How Much Damage Bad Publicity
Can Do To a Company, and How
Quickly Good PR People Can Do
• For example, the Domino’s YouTube video.
• I’m sure the people that saw the video never want to
eat Domino’s again, but there were only a certain
number of people who did get to see the video because
it was taken off YouTube shortly after being posted.
• Domino’s fired the employees and pressed charges, and
apologized to the public.
• We did a unit on Crisis and Conflict Management, and
according to what I learned in class, I’d say Domino’s
handled the situation very well.
#7 The Four Basic Steps of the PR
#8 Gifts Are a Big No-No
• Gifts can be seen as bribes, which is extremely
• Stay on the safe side and don’t give out gifts
to potential employers or clients.
#9 AP Style
• The AP Style is the standard form of writing in
• I was used to MLA formatting, so this was an
eye-opener. I know my best friend will be the
#10 How to Make Myself a Marketable
• Portfolio, portfolio, portfolio!
– This point was stressed over and over again. I need to
start compiling my portfolio now, in order to show my
best work in an interview.
– All of the internships or work experience I can get will
help me in attaining a job.
– The easiest way to get a job is through people you are
already acquainted with.