Definition of Security Measures
Type of Security Measures :
a) Data Backup
f) Human Aspects
Sources of References
• Security measures can be use to prevent this invader from getting the
• For example, the bank can use a firewall to prevent unauthorised access to
a) Data Backup :
- The Backup system is needed to backup all data and application in the computer.
With the backup system, data can be recovered in case emergency.
- Depending on the importance of the information, daily, weekly or biweekly backups
from hard disk can be performed.
b) Cryptography :
- The process of hiding information by altering the actual information into different
representation for sample an APA as 1? X.
- Almost all cryptography system depend on a key such as a password like the number
or a phrase that can be used to encrypt or decrypt a message.
- The traditional type of cryptosystem used on a computer network is called a
symmetric secret key system.
c) Antivirus :
- Antivirus is a program that protects a computer against viruses by identifying and
removing any computer viruses found.
- It will identify, prevent and eliminate computer viruses and other malicious software.
- Example of antivirus are VirusScan, Norton Antivirus, Trend Micro PC-cillin and
Virus Signature Inoculating a Program File
Also called a virus definition is a
specific patern of the virus code
The antivirus program records
information such as the file size
and file creation date in a separate
The antivirus program then uses
this information to detect if a virus
tampers with the data describing
the inoclulating program file.
d) Anti-Spyware :
- Anti-spyware software is a program that detects, quarantines and removes spyware
to prevent them from getting into your computer.
- Examples of anti-spyware software are Lavasoft Ad-Awares SE Personal, PC Health
Plan and Malware Scanner.
- Among of the popular anti-spyware programs are Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-
Aware and Spyware Blaster.
e) Firewall :
- A firewall is a hardware or software that protects a network’s resources from
intrusion by users on another network such as internet.
- A firewall restricts information that comes to your computer from another computer.
- It gives you more control over the data on your computer and provides a defense
against people or programs that try to connect to your computer without invitation.
- Type of firewall are Screening Routers , Proxy Gateway and Guard.
f) Human Aspects :
- Measures that can prevent from theft are by using locks, smart-card or password.
- Prevent portability by restricting the hardware from being moved.
- Detect and guard all exits and record any hardware transported.
- Example of human aspects are Organisation Self Awareness, Organisation User Self
Awareness and Individual User Self Awareness.
Organisation User Self
Individual User Self
Organisation need to be
aware of the people they
work with. Some threat could
also come from within the
organisation and not just
from the outside.
Provide employee with
adequate training and the
importance of security and
control. Even a very high-tech
protection system could not
protect the system against
Threat often comes in
beautiful offers and packages.
Do not download or install
software from unreliable
sources. Do not exposes
important information to
◊ Security measures is important to protect our computer and data from any security threats.
◊ Security measures must be update to avoid any latest security threats.
◊ ICT Form 4 Note Book
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.