TOPICS TO BE COVERED
• Introduction to Asian Paints
• Financial Statements Analysis
o Ratio analysis
o Index analysis
o Common size statement analysis
• SWOT Analysis of ASIAN PAINTS
INTRODUCTION TO ASIAN PAINTS
• Asian Paints was started in 1942 by four entrepreneurs:
o Champaklal Choksey
o Chimanlal Choksey
o Suryakant Dani
o Arvind Vakil
• The company was started under the name “ASIAN OIL & PAINTS
• Within three years, their turnover reached 3.5 lacs.
• In 1967, Asian paints became the 10th largest paint company in the world.
INTRODUCTION TO ASIAN PAINTS
• Asian Paints is India’s largest paint company and Asia’s third largest
paint company, with a turnover of INR 77.06 billion.
• The group has an enviable reputation in the corporate world for
professionalism, fast track growth, and building shareholder equity.
• Asian Paints operates in 21 countries and has 29 paint manufacturing
facilities in the world servicing consumers in over 65 countries.
• Besides Asian Paints, the group operates around the world through its
subsidiaries Berger International Limited, Apco Coatings, SCIB Paints
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
• Asian Paints was included in Forbes Magazine's - Asia's Fab 50 List of
companies in 2011 and 2012.
• Asian Paints was ranked 13th amongst the top paint companies in the
world by Coatings World - Top Companies Report 2012 (July 2012 Issue).
• In March 2012, Asian Paints was presented the Asian Centre for
Corporate Governance & Sustainability Award for the Best Governed
Company in 2011.
• Mr. P M Murty, the then MD & CEO, Asian Paints received the 'CEO of
the Year' award from Business Standard, one of India's leading business
dailies (March 2011).
FINANCIAL STATEMENT ANALYSIS
• There are FIVE basic ways of analyzing
financial statements –
Common size statement analysis
Parent Company - Asian Paints
Category - Paint Industry
Sector - Industrial Products and Chemicals
Tagline/ Slogan - Merawala blue; Har ghar
kuch kehta hai ki ;Ask Aparna
USP - India’s biggest brand with widest
1. The largest paint company in India and third
largest company in Asia.
2. They have over 35% of market share in
organized sector and are clear leaders in
decorative paints and are strong competitors to
Kansai Nerolac to be leaders in Industrial paints
3. They operate in 17 countries and have 24
manufacturing facilities providing service to 65
countries all over the world.
4. Asian paints has strong international presence
with its four 4 subsidiaries; Berger International
Limited, Apco Coatings, SCIB Paints and Taubmans.
5. Most renowned brand in Indian Paint Industry &
its strong customer focus and innovative-spirit has
made it market leader since 1968.
6. Superior technologies deployed to achieve and
maintain the competitive edge.
7. They have maintained their brand name and
increased awareness by unique ways of advertising
and roping in celebrities like Saif Ali Khan.
8. The company has strong financials.
9. logo 'Gattu', an impish boy with the paint tin
and brush, is most popular and easily
1. Limited market share in industrial paints
segment with Kansai Nerolac and Akzonobel
giving stiff competition.
2.In decorative paints Industry Customer tastes
and perceptions change very fast and products
may become obsolete with change in trends,
hence production planning and inventory
1. Big an international standard paint company it
should look for more opportunities abroad
2. There is a good scope for growth especially in
industrial paints category
3. Needs to have more focus on Automobile
industry in industrial paints segment
4. Competitors are going for Hi-tech process and
Asian paints with good financial and intellectual
capital can go for hi-tech.
1. Growth prone to slowdown effects
2.Stringent Government rules and regulations
regarding the quality of products and
manufacturing facilities as Environment policies
are given more emphasis
3.Raw material scarcity and volatlility in prices.