Education Agenda of Pakistan's Political PartiesPresentation Transcript
EDUCATION AGENDA ANDEDUCATION AGENDA ANDPOLITICAL PARTIES OF PAKISTANPOLITICAL PARTIES OF PAKISTANSPECIAL REFERNECE TO ELECTIONS 2013SPECIAL REFERNECE TO ELECTIONS 2013
•Quality of development and civilization ismeasured by the quality of the education whichhas been provided to the citizens by the state.•“The developed world or First World” has attainedthe status because of the excellent educationand academic environment which they haveprovided to their citizens.•“Developing states” or “Third World States” aresuffering from many social, political andeconomic problems because of the deprivededucation facilities provided to their citizens.
• United Nations has set MillenniumDevelopment Goals (MDG) 2015.• By 2015, countries are required to strive hardfor the attainment of eight fundamentalissues .• Top priority is given to achieve universalprimary education level in the respectivecountries after poverty reduction.
• Throughout Pakistan’s sixty five years history,education sector allocation in percentagehas never crossed single digit figureunfortunately.• Pakistan has the lowest literacy rate in theregion that is 65 % as per official stats.• Pakistan is going to miss the goals ofachieving hundred percent literacy targetsby 2015 unfortunately.
• So in this paper, our focus has remained to bring forththe efforts by the political parties of Pakistan regardingthe education reforms in Pakistan with special referenceto the upcoming general elections of 2013.• Education, basic right of every citizen of the state, hasalways remained least priority for our political elite.• As elections 2013 are on the threshold, all leadingpolitical parties have jumped into the arena with theirelections manifestos. Ranging from foreign policies tolocal bodies, all aspects of the state are on theirmanifestos but our prime focus here is to examine thathow much weightage is given to education sector bythese political parties.
• Party will declare education emergency.• Law to penalize parents for not sending theirchildren to schools.• Private institutes to work in partnership withgovernment.• System as per which student requireschoosing career after 12thgrade.• Reforms in seminary system• One religious school system throughout thecountry.• Budget increase form 2% to 11%.
• Education emergency will be declared and literacyrate will be increased to the optimum.• unanimous education system in country in 2013Manifesto.• teachers pay structures will thoroughly be revisedand special incentives will also be introduced.• Like earlier, Danish Schools network will be spread allacross the country in next regime and its standardswill be tantamount to leading school chains inPakistan but their fees structure will be kept atminimum possible level.• Merit laptops will also be distributed in students inorder to encourage them to excel in their studiesand play their role in betterment of the state.
• Merit scholarships will be awarded and more fundswill be allocated for computer labs to be built ingovernment schools.• State of the art scientific universities will be built inevery province and major cities.• Besides formal education, religious seminary systemwill also be upgraded and their course will bethoroughly revised as per the requirement.• In national fiscal budget, around 4% will be reservedfor the education.• Higher Education Commission will be given as muchautonomy as it is required and vocational trainingwill also be promoted.
• PTI has claimed that it will clean sweep theelections 2013 with heavy majority because of theirvision of new Pakistan which consists of new socialand economic reforms agenda.• Multiclass education system is one of the rootcauses of destruction of education structure inPakistan which consequently casing discriminationin the society
• PML-Q has claimed that it has given considerableimportance to education in their previousgovernment tenure of 2002-07 which was indeedworth praising.• As per their new manifesto, education is central tobuilding a modern developed society.• Parha Likha Punjab, Maar Nahi Pyaar areconsidered very appropriate steps by the thenPunjab Government regarding children basic rights.• Their slogan states that “if you want free books anscholarships to continue then vote for PMLQ anstamp Bicycle.”• They are still determined to extend their previousprograms of scholarships and free education fromclass one to matriculation, free books and monthlystipend for children.
PML Q’s agenda at the glancePML Q’s agenda at the glance::• Special “Teachers Day” will be celebrated everyyear.• Establishment of enhanced vocational technicaltraining institutes.• Full autonomy for HEC• Retirement age for teachers will be 65 years.• Establishment of public libraries, research centersand availability of up to date reference materialsfor higher education students in universities.
PAKISTAN PEOPLES’PAKISTAN PEOPLES’PARTYPARTY
• The spending on Education would beenhanced to 4.5 per cent of GDP over the fiveyears of government and this step would raisethe adult literacy rate from the current 54 percent to 85 per cent.• In the same way, the spending on health wouldbe raised to 5 per cent of total budget and anational insurance plan would also bedeveloped.• The population growth would be decreasedfrom 2 per cent to 1.6 percent by 2018 throughawareness, education and mandatory services.Under poverty alleviation measures, an amountof Rs 2000 per month would be paid to eachbeneficiary instead of Rs 1000.
“Come to Learn and Go to Earn”•Fundamental education reforms agenda revolvesaround the establishment of general libraries allaround the country.•One curriculum policy will also be implemented inorder to bring harmony and uniformity among theyoung generation.•Dual education system will also be abolished.•Madrassa reforms are also on their agenda and it isproposed to bring substantial changes in this regardand Madrassa will be uplifted and be brought inconformity with the mainstream education.
• Education sector will be allocated 5% ofthe budget.• All the provinces will be directed to utilize20% of their revenue budget on theeducation expenses.• Proposed mediums of instruction will beEnglish and Urdu both.• Curriculum will be cleared from Hatespeech and undue glorification of wars.• Syllabus modification according to themodern needs.