Whats at stake…• 1st Prize Winners– Dr. MR Doreswamy Trophy for QuizzingExcellence– Rs. 15,000– Individual Trophies– Certificates– Book Vouchers
Whats at stake…• 2nd Prize Winners– Rs. 10,000– Individual Trophies– Certificates– Book Vouchers• 3rd Prize Winners– Rs. 5,000– Individual Trophies– Certificates– Book Vouchers
What’s at stake…• Finalists– Individual Trophies– Certificates– Book Vouchers
General Rules• 5 rounds of quizzing.• Rules explained before each round.• Till 5pm today, the QM is omnipotent,omniscient and all-knowing! His word is final.• After that, feel free to catch hold of him.
Round 1 – Clockwise Dries• 8 questions. The round moves clockwise.• Infinite Bounce.• Double Dare option.• +10/0 on a direct or a pass.• +20/-10 on a Double Dare.
1.• X India is the Indian subsidiary of XCorporation. Originally YX, the business wasderived from a joint venture formed betweenDr Bhupendra Kumar Y through Y Corp (nowSpice Group) and X in September 1983.• YX is a very common phrase one would find onIndian footpaths or on shop boards (at least inthe late 90’s and early 2000’s).• YX ?
2.• X is a 12-in-a-team sport native to India, whichwas a recognized sport even earlier to themythological classic Mahabharata. The DeccanGymkhana of Pune drafted the first ever rulesand regulations of this sport.• Which sport?
3.• The terms "grandfather", "grandmother", and"granddaughter" have all been applied tolongcase Xs.• The general consensus is that a X smaller than1.5 m (5 ft) is a granddaughter; over 1.5 m(5 ft) is a grandmother; and over 1.8 m (6 ft) isa grandfather.• Peculiar naming adopted for what?
4.• “Yatra Pratibha Avasara Prapnoti”• Where would you find this inscribed?• It translates to “Where talent meetsopportunity”
5.• This is the deity at a tinyvillage called Nadruyanin Tamil Nadu.• This deity holds a veryunique distinction and isone of its kind in thewhole of India.• Which deity? Whatdistinction?
Lord Ganesha• It is the only figure of Lord Ganesha with hisoriginal face without the usual elephantinehead and the trunk.
6. FITB1. N/A2. Bill Fairbanks3. Jason Walters, Jack Mason4. Aidan Flemmings, Scarlett Papava5. Stuart Thomas6. Alec Trevelyan7. ___________________8. Bill TimothyUNKNOWN Jonathan HunterUNKNOWN Agent YorkUNKNOWN Suzi Kew
8.• ‘Wycinanki’ is a form of paper cutting in theregions of Poland, Belarus and Ukraine .• Around 19th century this became quite knownand familiar art in Ukraine.• Where have we seen this form of art in veryrecent times through a platform that is notoften associated with it?
• Only posthumous Oscar Awardees.• Heath Ledger – Best Supporting Actor• Peter Finch – Best Actor
2. Who?• His most famous bowling performance forIndia came in an ODI match against SouthAfrica in the LG Cup in 1999.• He returned figures of 10-6-6-5 helping Indiato victory in that match.• Three years later, the performance was ratedin the Wisden 100 as the seventh best ODIbowling performance to that date.
3. Explain.• Legend is that Nero, the then king of Rome was fiddlingwhen the city was burning. ‘Nero fiddled while Romeburnt’ is a commonly used and believed statement.• But apparently, Nero who was as fond of his city asmuch as any good king would be, took so manymeasures to save Rome from the fire. Yet he ended upwith a bad name.• There is a very simple explanation as to why the lattertheory holds more merit than the former.
• The Fiddle or the Violin was invented longafter Nero’s time.• So he couldn’t have possible been ‘fiddling’.
4.• This is a pic of a Czechfootballer Antonin X.• His name becamesynonymous with some typeof incident in the past oneweek during the final stagesof the Euros.• X?
7.• Apart from their normal day-to-day routine ofpicking up and dropping employees, how elsedo the cab drivers at Google’s offices inHyderabad and Bangalore make themselvesuseful?
• Help improve the directions (route from placeto place) on Google Maps for Hyd andBangalore!
8. Who is he?• He was the first recipient of the title of‘Ambassador of Interlaken’.• He is one of the two persons other than founderAdolf Guyer-Zeller after whom a train of populartourist railway network Jungfrau railways hasbeen named.• All this has been done in view of his outstandingcontribution to tourism development inSwitzerland, particularly in Interlaken.
Round 4 – Choose your battles!• Teams are pitted against each other.• Teams challenge each other, starting from thelowest scored team.• 9 topics to choose from; 2 questions per topic.• Scoring:– 2 questions right: +20/-20– 1 question right: 0/0– 2 questions wrong: -20/+20
• SM Krishna reading the wrong speech at theUN Assembly.
Etymology – 1• It is rumored that this term, quite frequently usedin sporting contests, originated from theprofession of carpentry.• Two men would use a saw to cut a piece of wood& the subordinate among the two wouldinvariably take position in a sawdust pit below.• Metal brackets used to hold the wood in placewere called _____, hence the guy below wascalled the _______. What was he called?
Etymology – 2• X is a regional term meaning “long journey”.This, in turn, is derived from an Arabic wordmeaning “journey”. The word is used locally torefer to any journey.• Its first use in English is attributed toSir Richard Francis Burton, the famousexplorer.• What’s the word?
Logos – 2This served as abasis for whichfamous logo?
Food – 1• X is a Indian savory cake popularthroughout India. The cakes are usually two tothree inches in diameter and are made bysteaming a batter consistingof fermented black lentils (de-husked)and rice. Definition for what?
Food - 2• “Communist” is roasted with chili powder• “Oil king” is dipped in a batter containing chilipowder, and fried• “Green revolution” is roasted with salt andsome other spices• What is broken down and roasted with amixture of turmeric, black pepper powder andred chili powder?
Tech – 1• This company’s first in house product waslaunched ‘96. The product’s name has a ‘K’which is a reference to Kryptonite, being theonly substance that could harm Superman.• It was a dig at the world leader in its segment.• Identify this computing behemoth.
Round 5 – Final Hurrah!• 8 questions on the buzzer.• Scoring: +10/-10
1. What term? Ground/land between two opposing trenches. The title of a 2001 Bosnian movie that beatLagaan to win the Oscar for Best ForeignLanguage Film. When two fielders approach for the samecatch (generally high catches) and ultimatelyno one gets it as it falls in between them.
5. XY?• Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Haversham XY , anEnglish topographer, geologist and surveyor , isdistinguished for his researches on the naturalhistory of India. He has authored a book titled,The Land and Freshwater Mollusca of India . Hewas also an ornithologist, writing the book "Birdsof Assam ".• Now, what honour was bestowed upon this man?