ITT Technical Institute Career Services
Showing up and succeeding in all of my ITT Tech classes is all that I will need to do to get a job and advance. Myth
Wouldn’t THAT be nice?
- Your technical education….
- You have to also evaluate and polish up your SOFT SKILLS .
- WHY? People-related and communication skills are how businesses and employees work together.
What are “soft skills”?
Soft Skills are the GLUE between all of your technical skills…. Computer Skills Incident Reporting IT Networking 3D Modeling Marketing DC Electronics
- How do you work with others?
- Do you value the opinions and skills of other people?
- Are you too focused on yourself and your role, without thinking about the bigger picture?
- Are you self-centered? Spoiled?
- Do you interact with others?
- How do you carry on a conversation?
- Do you answer a question with clear, correct language?
- Smile, eye contact, handshake, posture….
- Interviewing Skills – you have to develop them
- What signals do you project?
- Context of conversation/focus
- Communication to make a point in a professional way
- Do you clearly state things professionally in a calm manner?
- Do you fly off the handle when people do not agree with you?
- How do you get along with your supervisor? Others?
- Do you focus on negative things?
- Do you complain without providing an idea for a solution?
- Is your glass half-empty?
- Do you focus on the performance or mistakes of others?
- Do you get up on your own for work/school or is someone else still doing that for you?
- Do you wait to be told to do something or seek out work?
- What is motivating you? Family? Money? Recognition?
- Are you scrambling to get from one thing to the next?
- Do you forget appointments? Assignments? Are you LATE?
- Buy a calendar diary at the
- Use calendar functions on your computer or cell phone….
- Find a tool and stick to it!
Now it’s time to GET REAL.
- Opinions of friends and family---ask for honesty!
- How well do I manage my time?
- How do I take feedback? How well do I listen? Focus?
- Meet with your Career Services Team!
- Practical evaluation and constructive feedback
- Great suggestions and ideas!
- firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Know that you are NOT alone!
- Identify your weaknesses.
- KEEP MOVING FORWARD for that POSITIVE FUTURE!
- ITT Technical Institute wants your SUCCESS!