Hallyu_prefinal
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Hallyu_prefinal

on

  • 354 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
354
Views on SlideShare
354
Embed Views
0

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
7
Comments
1

0 Embeds 0

No embeds

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Apple Keynote

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n
  • \n

Hallyu_prefinal Hallyu_prefinal Presentation Transcript

  • photoshop credit: lauren bermudez Alex Tobias • Celine Park • Erica McAllister • Jessica Maa Choo Yan • Sunhwa Park • Samantha
  • CONTRACT ISSUES MONEY DISCREPANCIESEXPECTATIONS, DORM LIFE, & RESTRICTIONS INTRA-GROUP INEQUALITY
  • CONTRACT ISSUES
  • Jay Park’s departure from 2PM left fans stunned and shocked- Originated from a misunderstanding of a comment made by JayJYP had originally stated that Jay would remain part of 2PMEventually, JYP Ent termined Jay’s contract due to a moral, personalmistake allegedly committed by Jay Park Jaebom
  • Jaejoong,Yoochun, & Junsu filed a lawsuit against SM Ent in 2009- Contract with SME was too long (13 years)- Schedules often held without confirmation/permission of DBSK- Contract terms are subject to change without notice or consent- Early termination will cost them 2x their potential profit- Not allowed to release music independentlyAt the time of signing, allthe members of DBSKwere not of legal age andtherefore had neither theknowledge nor theresources to negotiate theterms with SM Ent.
  • KARA was reported to be splitting from DSP Media due tounethical contract contents.- Forced KARA members to participate in schedules they didn’t like- Added new activities to already full schedules without consent- Rejected requests for explanation or proper documentsHad an instance where KARA unknowingly signed a contract forwork in Japan under the impression they were filling out a simpleregistration form DSP Media forced the KARA members to model these inappropriate shirts without any regard to their reputations and the fact that Jiyoung is a minor
  • In 2010, U-KISS members Kibum and Alexander (Xander) wereforced to leave their group for the sole reason that NH Mediawanted a change in the member line-upKibum decided to terminate his contract with NH- Originally tied to a 10 year contract, but forced to cut it off at 3 Kim Kibum Alexander Lee Eusebio
  • Kim Hyun Joong left DSP Media for Keyeast Records, despiterepeated assurances that he would notFollowing that, Park Jung Min also departed from DSP MediaThough the remaining 3 members would like to stay together as agroup, they are looking for a new agency as wellWhen asked, all five members said they would not renew theircontracts with DSP Media if given the chance
  • Like other SM Ent artists, SNSD members are tied to 10+ yearcontracts that often contain restrictive and oppressive elements:- A rigorous training period of 3-7 years- Early termination penalties of 3x invest and 2x lossIn 2010, the Federal Trade Commission gave SM Entertainment awarning to adjust the “slave contracts”As a result, the contracts were shortened to 7 yearsAdjusted to be more lenientand transparent for theartists, which was nearimpossible before the FTCintervened
  • MONEYDISCREPANCIES
  • SM Entertainment takes 30-70% of DBSK’s profits- This includes concerts, albums, merchandise, etc.- DBSK splits the remaining 10-30% between 5 membersSM Entertainment required that DBSK’s album sales exceed 500kcopies in order for them to be paid
  • KARA continuously asked for clear figures regarding their income,but DSP Media refused the requestsDSP Media’s documentations were complex and difficult tounderstand for the members of KARAWhile promoting in Japan, DSP Media left 84% of album sales todistributors. The remaining 16% was then split with Universal Japan,leaving DSP Media with 8% of the total profits earned in Japan.Of this 8%, KARAmembers only received1.6-2.4% of their totalprofits
  • U-KISS revealed in an interview on TVN’s Brunch that there was anunequal distribution of incomeU-KISS received absolutely nothing from album sales, either physicalor digitalMoney made from commercials (CFs) was split twice:- First, between NH Media and U-KISS- Then between the 7 U-KISS members
  • There is a reported lack of uneven income between the membersYoona and Taeyeon are said to receive more monetarycompensation that other members who are featured less Kim Taeyeon Im Yoona
  • EXPECTATIONS, DORM LIFE,& RESTRICTIONS
  • 2PM’s old dorm had all seven members living with 2 to 3 guys in aroom, which was awkward and uncomfortableOnly recently did 2PM move into a newer dorm with 1 room pereach of the 6 members (minus Jay)- This was in 2011, yet 2PM debuted in 2008- 3 years of living in uncomfortable situationsVery limited diet consisting of chicken, apples, and sweet potato
  • Hectic schedules lead to littlesleep and overexertion
  • Required to maintain an image both as an artist and within SM Ent- Restricted dating- Diet/Body maintenance- Disallowed certain behaviors on variety shows/in publicLittle free time and tightly packed schedules- Leads to exhaustion and illness • Sunny fainted during a performance in JapanLeads to sneaking around rules in order to live a normal life- SNSD sneaks out to go to Lotte World
  • All 7 members of Infinite share one dormThey are usually not allowed to eat food at night due to facebloating or weight gainAs they are a relatively new group, the members have to divide thechores amongst themselves with no one else to do it for themMember Lee Sungyeol expressed a wish for more bathrooms, as allof them currently share one
  • When Big Bang first debuted as a group, Mnet was filming Big Bang’spersonal life 24/7 for a reality TV showThis lead to almost little to no personal time for themselvesBig Bang, like many other idol groups, has a tightly packed scheduleT.O.P. has been admitted to the hospital on more than one occasiondue to fatigue and overexertionAlso required to live in a dorm,which can be inconvenient forall members, especially duringtraining days
  • INTRA-GROUP INEQUALITY
  • Lee Sungjong Lee Sungyeol Nam Woohyun Kim SunggyuTotal seconds of individual singing lines within songs are poorly distributedNothing’s OverSunggyu: 11 linesWoohyun: 9 linesSungjong: 1 lineSungyeol: 0 lines
  • SNSD has assigned roles, such as Vocal, visual, dancer, etc.This leads to unequal screen and lyric distributionHyoyeon has less than 5 minutes of singing time out of all Koreanalbums/mini-albums/singles released (~170 minutes), which is <3% Kim Hyoyeon
  • Kim Hyun Joong is the most popular out of all the members due tohis work in dramas (Boys Over Flowers, Playful Kiss) and varietyshows (We Got Married)- Puts the other members in his shadowThere is also a generally unequal distribution of CFs and roles onvarious shows within the group Kim Hyun Joong
  • While Big Bang is a very successful group, some members get moreattention than othersThis leads to uncomfortable relations between members- Seungri has expressed jealousy over G-Dragon’s popularity withfemale fansG-Dragon and T.O.P. noticeably get more lines in their songs, ascompared to Taeyang, Seungri, and Daesung- This is especially evident in their earlier songs such as Haru, Haruand Lies GD & T.O.P.