Benefits of professional associations. Invited presentation to the Resume Review and Speakers workshop at Cal State-Fullerton 5 March 2011, sponsored by San Jose State U School of Library and Info
Benefits of professional associations. Invited presentation to the Resume Review and Speakers workshop at Cal State-Fullerton 5 March 2011, sponsored by San Jose State U School of Library and Info Science's LISSTEN and ALASC groups.
1. Sara R. Tompson• Director (at large) 5 March, 2011Special LibrariesAssociation (SLA) For San Jose StateBoard and University SLIS:• Associate Dean forLibrary Public LISSTEN/ALASCService, University ofSouthern California Workshop Super ROI – Professional Associations Why those in, or soon to be in, the library and information professions should join!
2. 2 Introductions You and your library interests? Me  Science/engineering librarian by trade  Have always been a joiner – work well in teams  SLA since 1990, various offices  Also ACRL, ALISE, ALA  Aviator (in a flying club!)
3. 3Some Data on Joining from SLA Leadership Summit Susan Robertson, VP of ASAE – the association of association executives, shared some interesting data on why people join associations. http://www.asaecenter.org/Resources/ decisiontojoin.cfm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIoW7z- zv_s
4. 4Some Data on Joining from SLA Leadership Summit #1 reason to join – to have an impact (on society, on profession, etc.)  #2 reason – personal benefits (from being engaged; unengaged members not reaping many/as many benefits)
5. 5 Some of the Benefits of associations members reported to ASAE: Access to up-to-date info  Professional development programming; career information Networking with colleagues Leadership opportunities
6. 6Decision to Volunteer ASAE study – a few results: #1 reason people do not volunteer – they don’t know about opportunities!  There does have to be some WIIFM ROI  I think benefits list partially fills   Alignment with personal values a key
7. 7Some Data on Joining from SLA Leadership Summit  Susan Robertson: http://www.asaecenter.org/Profile/ CommunityCloseUp.cfm? ExternalID=507805  Slides (SLA members only): http://www.sla.org/Presentations/ 11leadsumm/012111_robertson.ppt
8. 8Why did YOU Join ALA orSLA or LISSTEN?
9. 9 Why I Join…..  “To Be of Use”!   Marge Piercy poem says it all   “I want to be with people who submerge in the task….who are not parlor generals and field deserters / but move in a common rhythm…”   Very relevant to service profession like librarianship  http://www.northnode.org/poem.htm
10. 10 Some relevant links: (see also handouts!) Remember, student memberships are discounted! Look for links on Facebook, and for associations’ blogs, etc. http://www.sla.org/content/membership/joinsla/ index.cfm http://www.ala.org/ala/membership/index.cfm http://www.acrl.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/about/ membership/index.cfm  http://www.aiip.org/JoinAIIP
11. 11 Super ROI: QUESTIONS? Now or later, both fine email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org www.facebook.com/ sara.tompson www.linkedin.com/in/ saratompson http://isd.usc.edu/~sarat/SRTCV.pdf