1. Draft Report for discussion Jan 2009 Chapter
Women’s college traces its beginnings to the Nampally Girls School, The decision of handing over the Residency building for the use of
whose principal’s ardent desire was a college education for her girls; Women’s college was taken by General Chaudhri who took prompt
for she believed it was essential to their development. The sanction of action, wired Delhi, and with Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru’s
the government came in 1924 after which the college started support, sanction was granted in March 1949.
functioning at the Nampally school itself, with seven students and the
four of the school teachers with Miss Pope acting as the principal of the In July 1949, women’s college shifted to the Residency.
college as well as the school. ‘For the long suffering students who have a trying time in dingy
building, this was unbelievable good luck. They freaked out. There was
Women’s college was shifted to two places from Nampally Girls School sense of joy and sheer exuberance at finding themselves amongst
before it was finally shifted to the vacant British Residency Campus in spacious grounds, lawns and sheer exuberance at finding themselves
July, 1949. The first one is to the Golden Threshold and the second amongst spacious grounds, lawns and shady trees. A lovely campus,
one is to a group of squalid buildings near Moajjam Jahi Market. Every plus and imposing building!
year there was a considerable increase in the strength of the students
and with it, an increase in the teaching staff and the grant of finances. Our college building is in many ways unique among the colleges of
By 1939, it had 200 students on its rolls and by the time the college India and the world. For where else do students live in a fortress and
shifted the Residency campus the strength was 440. cross a drawbridge to go from one lecture to another? Where else do
they have a chance to enjoy sixty acres of college campus in the very
Miss Linnel (Principal: 1947 – 1955) had succeeded in getting the heart of a great city and where else have they connected with the
authorities to agree to shift the University College for Women from
college building an authentic and highly romantic love story? Do we
its dilapidated buildings to the magnificent splendor of the British
all realize our unusual possession or know much of its history?
Residency which was then lying vacant.
 St. George’s Girls school and St Francis Girls school has opened in 1850, followed
Though there are other colleges in the city for women to go for college
by the St Ann’s Convent School. All were originally meant for European and Eurasian
girls but later on admitted local Christians and others. When Mir Mahboob Ali Pasha, education, such as Arts College at Osmania University and Nizam
the sixth Nizam, came to the throne in 1869, the government began to take an interest
College; University College for Women was chosen by many of the
in the education of girls, and Zenana girls school was started in 1887. Some more
schools such as Mahboobia girls school was established for the daughters of the girls over the others because of the sheer space and freedom offered
aristocracy and the upper classes who were still not being formally educated, although
by the campus. In the next five decades, it has become a pioneer in the
they were being taught at home by governesses, much in the manner of their
counterparts in England field of girl’s education in Hyderabad by its wide range of courses
 ‘We sought every where for a change of building, she said later, but no
offered according to the changing requirements from the society.
improvement seemed likely until January 1949 when our vice chancellor Nawab Ali
Yavar Jung, brought Dr Radhakrishnan (then vice-president of India), and the
 ‘For one week,’ recalls Soona with a smile, ‘they couldn’t hold classes because we
university Education Commission to inspect the college. Dr Radhkrishnan whimsically
were roaming every where, inspecting every thing, soaking up the beauty of the place
chose the worst of all our buildings – the Botany department, that had been
and simply delighting in our surroundings. It was a blissful time.
condemned by the Public Works Department engineers as being physically unsafe, to
 ‘She told the story of Kirk Patrick and Khairunnissa, says Soona. All the three
site in and discuss our shameful condition. He then left, saying that ours was the most
versions of how they met, their marriage and how he remained faithful to her and faced
miserable and depressing women’s college he has ever seen. He asked the vice
criticism of his choice of a wife, from his superiors, rather than give her up.’
chancellor what he proposed to do about it. Nawab Sahib had a plan all ready and that
very evening Maj. Gen. Chaudhri was approached and asked to recommend the
transfer of the old British Residency to Osmania University for the use of the Women’s
Conservation Management Plan, Osmania University College for Women, Former British Residency, Hyderabad 13
2. Draft Report for discussion Jan 2009 Chapter
The Women’s College adapted to campus so well as the factors of
‘Protection and Privacy’ which were of primary importance to a
women’s college at that time were immediately available as the same
was required during the Residency period (1779 – 1949).
Miss Linnel, who was instrumental in the transformation of spaces
belonging to the institution of Residency (1779 – 1949) to the
institution of Women’s College (1949 – 2009), was awarded a Pamda
Sri in 1971, posthumously, for her contribution to education in India.
 The Residency was heavily fortified after the attack on the Residency in 1857. The
high walls around the Residency and the large site and lush vegetation in the gardens
gave privacy to the people at the Residency
Conservation Management Plan, Osmania University College for Women, Former British Residency, Hyderabad 14
3. Draft Report for discussion Jan 2009 Chapter
In the last 50 years, many new buildings were added in the campus to accommodate the growing
needs of the women’s college. (Refer drawing no…..) such as the Administrative building, PG block, IT
block, Library, Meeting hall, chemistry block, hostels etc. Some of the buildings came in place of the old
buildings such as the bungalow of first Resident. The college was awarded with A++ Category by the
University Grants Commission of Government of India for the quality of education being imparted. It has
being an autonomous status by the Osmania University.
Most of the academic activities such as classrooms and laboratories were accommodated into the
erstwhile buildings by adaptively reusing them in best possible manner. The main house was used for the
administration and for ceremonies which perfectly fits into the grandeur of the interior. Currently, the main
house is vacated (due to its physical condition) except for a few classes, principals’ room, storage of
furniture and WMF project office. Most of the base storey continues to be used as a storage space till
today. The rooms in the second floor of the main house were used as class rooms until recently.
ESTABLISHMENT OF WOMEN’S COLLEGE 1949 - 2009
Conservation Management Plan, Osmania University College for Women, Former British Residency, Hyderabad 15