Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
  • Like
Cystic Fibrosis
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×

Now you can save presentations on your phone or tablet

Available for both IPhone and Android

Text the download link to your phone

Standard text messaging rates apply

Cystic Fibrosis

  • 868 views
Published

This powerpoint gives a brief introduction to Cystic Fibrosis. I created it for research, educational, and promotional purposes. I hope that someone who watches it can learn something about cf that …

This powerpoint gives a brief introduction to Cystic Fibrosis. I created it for research, educational, and promotional purposes. I hope that someone who watches it can learn something about cf that they didn't know before.

NOTE: You'll find it easier to maneuver through the powerpoint if you flip each slide individually, otherwise the slides are too fast. Use the two buttons closest to the center triangle to do so.

Published in Health & Medicine
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Be the first to comment
    Be the first to like this
No Downloads

Views

Total Views
868
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
3

Actions

Shares
Downloads
15
Comments
0
Likes
0

Embeds 0

No embeds

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
    No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Cystic Fibrosis Intro to Cystic Fibrosis
  • 2. Overview
    • Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease
    • It mainly affects the lungs and digestive system, as well as other things
    • People with CF commonly take a lot of medication to keep up with their health
    • More than 1,000 different gene mutations
    • The disease is progressive and fatal
    • Life expectancy is approximately 37 years old as of 2011
  • 3. Lungs
    • The lungs are clogged with thick, sticky mucus
    • Bacteria lingers in the mucus since it’s harder to clear
    • Lung infections are frequent because of this bacteria
    • Shortness of breath and the need for oxygen increases
  • 4. Therapies for Lungs
    • Advair
    • Albuterol
    • Tobi, Colistin, Cayston.. Etc
    • Double Lung Transplant
    • Pulmozyme
    • Hypertonic Saline
    • The Vest or other Chest Percussion Therapy (CPT)
    A nebulizer mouthpiece used commonly for inhaled medicine
  • 5. Detail of Medications Pt. 1
    • Advair – Powder form, Inhaler, Reduces inflammation in lungs
    • Albuterol – Liquid form, Inhaler/Inhaled, Opens airways/eases breathing
    • Tobi, Colistin, Cayston..etc – Inhaled antibiotics, help prevent/deal with infection
    • Double Lung Transplants – Used in severe cases of cf, NOT a cure
  • 6. Detail of Medications Pt. 2
    • Pulmozyme – Liquid form, Inhaled, Thins mucus
    • Hypertonic Saline – Liquid form, Inhaled, Creates cough to clear mucus
    • The Vest or other Chest Percussion Therapy (CPT) – Makes it easier to cough and clear mucus
    The Vest – Helps clear mucus by filling up with air/vibrating secretions out of lungs
  • 7. Digestion
    • Many people with cf have digestion problems
    • Can’t absorb proper nutrients – leads to weight loss
    • Frequent blockages and abnormal bowel movements
    • High Calorie/High Protein Diet
  • 8. Therapies for Digestive Issues Pt. 1
    • Pancreatic Enzymes - helps digest meals and snacks
    • High Calorie/High Protein Diet - helps keep nutrients up
    • Vitamins A, D, E, and K - replaces those lost
    • Nexium or acid reducer (acid build up can affect the lungs)
  • 9. Therapies for Digestive Issues Pt. 2
    • Multi-Vitamins for nutrition
    • A feeding tube may be placed for weight gain
    • Appetite Stimulants may be used
    • Miralax or Milk of Magnesia are frequently used for bowel problems
  • 10. Other Problems
    • CF patients frequently found to have liver problems or liver disease
    • Higher risk for Diabetes (CFRD)
    • Higher risk for Depression
    • Limited Veins from frequent hospitalizations – port placement may be necessary
    • Sinus polyps may be present
    • Employment opportunities may be limited
  • 11. How to get CF
    • Both parents must be carriers of CF gene
    • If both are carriers: 25% chance baby has cf 50% chance baby is a carrier 25% chance baby isn’t a carrier/doesn’t have cf
  • 12. CF in a nutshell
    • A variety of different treatments or therapies used on a daily basis to handle or prevent problems
    • CF is not a lung disease, transplant isn’t a cure
    • Usually several hours per day are devoted to therapy in someone with cf to stay healthy
    • There is no cure for cf, however, medical/science advances have grown tremendously
  • 13. Credits/Resources:
    • More information about CF can be found at: http://www.cff.org
    • Social Network/CF Support available at: http://www.cysticlife.org
    • This presentation was created by Sara Wiley, a patient with Cystic Fibrosis