FRIT 7430: Instructional Design
“Stage 1, Understanding by Design”
UbD Stage 1 Template
Title of Grade
Unit Level 2
Area Mathematics Frame 3 weeks
Stage 1 – Identify Desired Results
Georgia Performance Standard:
M2N3- Students will understand multiplication, multiplying numbers, and verify results.
a.) Understand multiplication as repeated addition
b.) Use repeated addition, arrays, and counting by multiples (skip counting) to correctly
multiply 1-digit numbers and construct the multiplication table.
c.) Use the multiplication table (grid) to determine a product of two numbers.
d.) Use repeated subtraction, equal sharing, and forming equal groups to divide large
collections of objects and determine factors of multiplication.
Students will understand that:
• Multiplication is simply repeated addition and can be applied to various given
• Multiplication tables/ charts can be interpreted and used as a tool to help discover the
product of two numbers, usually from 0- 12.
• Previously acquired knowledge of addition and subtraction can be transferred and
applied for use within multiplication.
• Arrays are a visual way to explain and understand multiplication.
• Skip counting is a tool to develop mental math strategies for multiplication.
• Multiplication is a vital tool for future mathematical success.
• Multiplication can be applied in everyday situations throughout life.
• Multiplication strategies must be internalized for quick recall.
• There are multiple strategies for figuring out multiplication problems.
• Multiplication is a “new” concept, so it is scary and hard to understand.
• Adding numbers multiple times does not give the second number in the equation.
• Multiplication is all about memorization.
• There is only one way to do multiplication.
Overarching Questions: Topical Questions:
• What does math mean to you? • Why is multiplication important to
• When and how can we use math in our learn?
daily lives? • What would life be like without
• Why is the understanding of math multiplication?
concepts important for your future? • How do mental strategies help us
• How might adults use math? calculate math faster?
• If math did not exist what else • How is multiplication a stepping-
wouldn’t be possible? stone?
• How can we “show” multiplication?
• How is multiplication similar and/or
different from addition and
Knowledge and Skills
Students will know: Students will be able to:
• How to construct and interpret • Construct and use arrays to
arrays. determine the product of two
• Multiplication is repeated addition. numbers.
• Multiplication grids are a tool to • Use a multiplication grid to find the
quickly find the product of two answer of two numbers.
numbers from 0-12. • Develop a math sentence created
• The connections between through repeated addition.
addition/subtraction and • Explore ways to use multiplication in
multiplication. real-life situations.
• The various mental math strategies • Apply their multiplication abilities
that can be used for multiplication. through various mental strategies.
• Multiplication is a useful tool in • Explain the meaning of
real life situations. multiplication.
• Mental math strategies are
important to expanding knowledge.
0 1 Score
UbD Stage 1
Template Each section of the
provided is not template has been
Scoring Rubric complete completed with 1
0 1 2 3 Score
Identifies Identifies targeted Identifies targeted The targeted
understandings understandings that will understandings that are understandings clearly
that relate to lead to some discovery enduring, based on utilize the six facets of
the standards but are not at the heart transferable, big ideas at understanding.
but are too of the discipline. the heart of the discipline.
0 1 2 Score
The essential The essential and unit Identifies essential questions that are provocative,
and unit questions serve as arguable, and likely to generate inquiry around the
questions have guides, but might not central ideas. Includes both topical and overarching
right answers provoke student essential questions.
and do not engagement. Includes
provoke some topical and
student overarching essential
0 1 2 Score
Skills Knowledge &
Knowledge and Identifies knowledge Shows ability to identify key knowledge and key
skills are not and skills. skills.
0 1 2 Score
Numerous errors found A few errors found in No errors found in
in grammar, spelling or grammar, spelling or grammar, spelling or
usage that distract the usage that distract the usage that distract the
reader. reader. reader.
Required format has Most of the formatting Required formatting
not been used requirements have been used