Creating and Maintaining a Strong Online Presence Presentation by: Sarah TharpDirector of Online Marketing, Brain Host @stharp14
• SEO •Overview Personal Online Reputation • WordPress Tutorial • Reputation Management for Clients • Case Study • Advice
• Graduated from Ohio University in 2011 with a Bachelor of Science inAbout Me Journalism • Started at Brain Host 2 weeks after graduation as a Social Media Manager • Currently the Director of Online Marketing for Brain Host
• Web hosting company based in Akron, OH • Young, tech startup companyBrain Host • 75+ employees • Hosts over 180,000 websites
What is Web Hosting?Brain Host
• Stands for Search Engine optimization • Process of getting traffic from the “organic” listings on search enginesSEO • Web pages and other content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users • Importance of keywords
Have You Ever Googled Yourself?SEO
Personal Online Reputation
Personal Online Reputation • 59% of hiring managers are influenced by your online reputation (The Green Internet Group) • 70% percent of company recruiters said theyd rejected applicants based on information they found online (Microsoft Study 2010) • Almost 9 /10 hiring professionals said a positive online reputation could boost an applicants chances (Microsoft Study 2010)
Personal Online Reputation If I Have Social Media Profiles, Should I Still Consider a Website? • Definitely. • With our information so widely spread across the internet, having a central hub where recruiters, hiring managers, business contacts, family, and friends can go to learn about and contact you is vital. • Websites are the new “first impression.”
Personal Online Reputation Perks of a Personal Website • Best chance of ranking first for your name – 10 Most Expensive Domain Names • Broaden your skill set • Resume, writing samples and personal information all in one place • Say goodbye to generic email addresses – Hello@yoursitename.com
Personal Online Reputation Other Sites to Claim • http://flavors.me/ • https://brandyourself.com/ • http://about.me • http://www.quora.com/ *Google loves • http://cuttings.me/ • http://pressfolios.com/ • LinkedIn with vanity URL
Personal Online Reputation
• WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org • Started as just a blogging system • Has evolved to be used as full contentWordPress management system • Thousands of plugins, widgets and themes http://www.professorcraigdavis.com/#!
SEO & Reputation Management “Customers complain; Competitors lie; Haters hate.” –Arienne Holland
SEO & Reputation Management Knowledge of SEO is Imperative for Every PR Professional to Have. • Reputation Management • Brand Awareness • Event Planning • Fundraising
American ApparelCase Study
• SEO has an important role in reputationCase Study management, as it can push down negative results.
How Scripps Prepared Me for Life in the “Real World” •Advice Writing skills • Relevant projects • Internships • Bobcat “safety net” • Work Ethic
• Be proactive while still in school. • Never think that you know less or under qualified. • Work on your personal presentation – online andAdvice offline. • You can’t get fired from college. Test everything here. • Go to career fairs, networking events, parties. Be as social as possible. You never know who you are going to meet or when you’ll see them down the road. • Many companies hire for personality. Don’t be afraid to show yours. • Eagerness to learn trumps experience for entry level positions.
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org • Twitter: @stharp14Contact • Website: www.sarahtharp.com • www.sarahtharp.com/bobcat – 50% off hosting with coupon code BOBCAT – Presentation, coupon information and extra resources