Creating and Maintaining a Strong Online Presence Presentation by: Sarah TharpDirector of Online Marketing, Brain Host @stharp14
• SEO •Overview Personal Online Reputation • WordPress Tutorial • Reputation Management for Clients • Case Study • Advice
• Graduated from Ohio University in 2011 with a Bachelor of Science inAbout Me Journalism • Started at Brain Host 2 weeks after graduation as a Social Media Manager • Currently the Director of Online Marketing for Brain Host
• Web hosting company based in Akron, OH • Young, tech startup companyBrain Host • 75+ employees • Hosts over 180,000 websites
• Stands for Search Engine optimization • Process of getting traffic from the “organic” listings on search enginesSEO • Web pages and other content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users • Importance of keywords
Personal Online Reputation • 59% of hiring managers are influenced by your online reputation (The Green Internet Group) • 70% percent of company recruiters said theyd rejected applicants based on information they found online (Microsoft Study 2010) • Almost 9 /10 hiring professionals said a positive online reputation could boost an applicants chances (Microsoft Study 2010)
Personal Online Reputation If I Have Social Media Profiles, Should I Still Consider a Website? • Definitely. • With our information so widely spread across the internet, having a central hub where recruiters, hiring managers, business contacts, family, and friends can go to learn about and contact you is vital. • Websites are the new “first impression.”
Personal Online Reputation Perks of a Personal Website • Best chance of ranking first for your name – 10 Most Expensive Domain Names • Broaden your skill set • Resume, writing samples and personal information all in one place • Say goodbye to generic email addresses – Hello@yoursitename.com
• WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org • Started as just a blogging system • Has evolved to be used as full contentWordPress management system • Thousands of plugins, widgets and themes http://www.professorcraigdavis.com/#!
• SEO has an important role in reputationCase Study management, as it can push down negative results.
How Scripps Prepared Me for Life in the “Real World” •Advice Writing skills • Relevant projects • Internships • Bobcat “safety net” • Work Ethic
• Be proactive while still in school. • Never think that you know less or under qualified. • Work on your personal presentation – online andAdvice offline. • You can’t get fired from college. Test everything here. • Go to career fairs, networking events, parties. Be as social as possible. You never know who you are going to meet or when you’ll see them down the road. • Many companies hire for personality. Don’t be afraid to show yours. • Eagerness to learn trumps experience for entry level positions.