Somewhere to store information? A way to communicate, or a teaching/learning methodology? Who are your learners? What is the appropriate tool for what you want to achieve?
Social media is not a “cure all”
1. Social media & the post- graduate studenthttp://www.flickr.com/photos/42834622@N00/4333362932 Sarah Stewart 2012 Australian College of Midwives firstname.lastname@example.org Creative Commons Attribution BY
2. Aim for todayThe aim of this workshop is to introduce you to social media and how you can use it for postgraduate education, as teachers, learners and researchers.
3. ObjectivesList some of the common social media tools that be used for postgraduate education;Identify how you can use these tools to build personal learning networks;Describe some examples in which social media can be used for postgraduate education;Discuss the issues that must be considered when working with social media;Construct a plan for how you can use social media for your own personal learning.
4. What is social media? “web-based and mobile technologies that turn communication into interactive dialogue” Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_mediahttp://www.flickr.com/photos/73532212@N00/2945559128
5. Why is social mediarelevant to us as learners, teachers & researchers? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmwwrGV_aiE
6. Group discussionWhat do you know about social media?How do you currently use social media?How would you like to use it in the future?What are your concerns about social media?What would you particularly like to know today?
7. How can social media be used forpostgraduate learning, teaching & research?
48. Group work – set up a Twitter account (Teacher, student, researcher, university manager, IT provider) How did it go? What did you learn? What went well? What issues arose? What questions do you still have?
49. Tips for using social media to build a personal learning network
50. Develop an online presence http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathonline/918128338/
51. Become familiar with online communication toolshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/25566432@N00/4967809771
52. Invest time in getting to know peoplehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/66164549@N00/2096791187
53. Give, as well as takehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/johnbullas/3754767902/
54. Be http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmarty/128010935/
55. “Focus on how to be social, not on how to do social.” - Jay Baer, Convince & Convert
56. Develop a personal planHow are you going to use social media for your personal learning?How will you use it as a professional tool?What do you need?Feedback to the group – what are the key features of your plan?
57. ConclusionAny further questions or comments?Feedback