Applications and technologyPresentation Transcript
Another Application? Do I really need to fill another one of these out? No!..Just put “See YES!… Fill itresume!!” ALL out. Neat and Complete!
Plan ahead & prepareDon’t let your efforts back fire
• Why do I need to do them? – Employers require it – Helps sell who you are and what you can do
• Screen out• Find applicants who best meet the job description and “wish list”• They want to know about you• A fair way to compare applicants• Looking for red flags
Picking Up & Dropping Off An Application• Dress to impress • Ask for two• Take your time • Return it quickly• Be prepared • Deliver in person
• Read and follow instructions and take your time• Presentation is crucial• Never write…• Tailor• Don’t leave blanks• No negatives• Be honest• Save the $ talk for later• References• Consistency is key• Proofread
Job Listing ApplicationNurse Aid Rehab Work History: CNA: August 2000 – present Minneapolis Nursing/Rehab Center CNA: Jan 1997 – Aug 2000 Little Falls Nursing HomeNurse Aid: requires current MN CNA Education:license Degree/Certificate: CNA license, 2001Duties: assist patients with daily Skills:schedules, document patient care, work Caring, follow directions well, flexible,with LPN or RN, shift schedule willing to work evening and weekend shifts
•Visual appearance of the application•Language usage: grammar & spelling•Nature of work history •Skill levels, length of jobs, number of jobs, gaps•Reasons for leaving past employment •Fired, Quit•Restrictions & Injuries•Ever been convicted of a felony?
To Fax Or Not To Fax• What does fax say? • How does a fax look? – It could say.. – Prints on regular paper – Procrastinator – Only as good as the machine that prints it – Cheap – Unwanted lines, dates – Lazy (if you live in the and info same town)
• Who has filled one out?• How long did it take?• What did you like about it?• What did you not like about it?
Online ApplicationsPros• A great way to apply for jobs• Allows for greater range in job search• Easy to correct/update information• Ability to be more descriptive• Can avoid poor handwriting• Able to save applications for reapplying
Online ApplicationsCons• Takes away some of the personal aspects• Increase in competition• Easy to take for granted or slack on quality• Confirmation or rejection notices delayed or nonexistent• Spelling/punctuation errors are easily missed
What technology is available to help with job searching?• Internet – Job openings/postings – Post resume – Job search assistance – Information on careers and employers – Telephone numbers/addresses – Maps to locate employers – Tutorials – Samples – GOOGLE• Smart Phones – Everything on the internet – Plus apps!• Software – Resumes/cover letters/presentations/portfolios
•Important to have one•Be sure to check it at least once a week•Remember your address and password
Saving Materials• Be sure to use a .doc format and not .docx – File name should include YourNameResumeDatePosition.doc• Save documents in several different ways – File types (.doc or .pdf) – Multiple places• Saving allows for changes• Don’t misplace• Just say no to floppy disks and CDs
• Some applications will let you upload documents – www.minnesotaworks.net• Be careful not to send the wrong one!