2. My heart leaps up when I behold A Rainbow in the sky: So was it when my life began, So is it now I am a man, So be it when I shall grow old, Or let me die! The Child is a Father of the Man: And I could wish my days to beBound each to each by natural piety.
3. New Vocabulary•Leaps up: jumps•Behold: look at , see ,watch•Rainbow: the arch of colour that appears in the sky when it is raining & the sun is shining.•Bound: attached , linked to , connected to•Piety: feeling of a deep respect for God & religion.
4. paraphraseThe poet tells us that he feels a wave of happiness sweeps over his heart ,melts it with joy, when he saw a rainbow . That was the way he felt when he was a little boy ,now as an adult, hoping that he’ll feel the same way when he is getting older, & if this feeling faded away even for one day, he would rather die .In line 7 the poet comes up with his philosophy of life which is that childhood is the main stage of our life , the child is the first master & instructor of a Man.In the last two lines the poet expresses his
5. Literary Terms• Personification: “My heart leaps up”The poet’s heart jumps when he sees a rainbow.• Paradox: “the Child is a father of the Man”The poet uses a statement which seems to hold opposite meaning, yet turns out to have a reasonable & sensible aim.• Repetition: “So was it when my life began, So is it now I a man, So be it when I shall grow old,”The word “so” is repeated three times.
6. Questions•what type of poetry does this poem belong to ? Why?This poem belongs to the Descriptive Type.It is brief, melodic, & very expressive, conveys impressions, feelings, emotions, sensations & very personal and intimate views concerning an experience. It touches “Nature”.
7. •How does the poem express the poet’s feeling?-He is lighthearted, connecting to his God &religion , respecting them. He is a loving person,the nature touches his heart that the sight of arainbow makes his heart happy. He is such athoughtful person, in line 7 when he told usabout that child inside each one of us is the firstteacher. And one more thing to add , he is a veryreligious person, dreaming that the rest of hislife will be attached to his God with piety in hisheart.
8. ‘The child is a father of the Man’•Can you explain this line in your ownwords?-He believes that every human being isinfluenced by his childhood and thatchild is Man’s first teacher &instructor.
9. “ The poet sums up his philosophy of lifein this poem “ Discuss.“The poet gives us wisdom in line 7 “Explain.
10. What is the tone of this poem?He is talking with passion that appears inhis word & thoughts .What is the theme of this poem?
11. Why does the poet capitalize the words‘Rainbow, Child, Father, Man’?What does the usage of different tenses aim to in lines ‘3, 4, 5, 6’?
12. How does this poem make you feel?If you were the poet and you want to write a poem just like this one, what could you do? Where would you prefer to go? With whom? Why?