1. How to Succeed After CollegeWhat I learned in PR Practicum<br />Sara Davis<br />PR 3711<br />November 30, 2009<br />
2. Resume Writing<br />The most important skill that I learned in PR Practicum was how to improve my resume writing.<br />I learned that “action” adjectives help give future employers a look at my abilities and accomplishments.<br />I also learned that my resume needs to show my accomplishments & how I will benefit the company.<br />
3. Job Interviewing<br /><ul><li>Another important thing that I learned in PR Practicum was how to improve my job interview skills.
4. I learned that I should create a “leave-behind” to leave with the interviewer.
5. I gained confidence after doing the “mock” interview and portfolio review. I feel more prepared to interview for my future career. </li></li></ul><li>Creating & sharing my portfolio<br /><ul><li>I learned that my portfolio should contain an array of my accomplishments, instead of just one type.
6. I also learned that my portfolio should contain tabs so that everything is easier to find when in an interview.
7. In addition, I learned to choose two or three of my best pieces to show the interviewer. These pieces should be from different genres, such as print and web work. </li></li></ul><li>Writing a Cover Letter<br />In PR Practicum, I learned how to improve my cover letter writing skills. <br />When writing a cover letter, I should describe the skills that I have that will benefit the company. <br />I learned that I should express a knowledge of the company’s history when writing my cover letter and make sure it is specific to the job that I am applying for. <br />
8. Social Media is Key<br /><ul><li>In order to succeed in the Public Relations field currently, I must be skilled in social media, such as Twitter and facebook.
9. Social media is a great way to promote and to network.</li></li></ul><li>Staying Current<br />It is important to stay up to date on what is going on in the Public Relations field.<br />Reading trade magazines and using google alerts are great ways to learn what is new in PR.<br />
10. Tips from a Professional<br />I learned numerous things from the PR professional that I interviewed. One of the most important things that I learned was that technology is extremely important in Public Relations.<br />I also learned that I need to be proficient in design programs, such as Adobe and Microsoft Publisher. <br />
11. The Benefits of LinkedIn<br />LinkedIn allows you to connect with other people in the PR field.<br />In addition, LinkedIn provides employers with your resume and a list of your accomplishments.<br />LinkedIn is a great way to network and to promote yourself. <br />
12. Trade Book<br />The trade book that I read discussed networking.<br />I learned that networking is extremely important and often times you will meet a future employer by networking.<br />I learned that networking can be done in unexpected places, such as a hair salon or even a gas station. <br />
13. Searching for a Job<br />Finally, in Public Relations Practicum I learned that there are numerous ways to search for a job.<br />LinkedIn, job search engines, and career services are great outlets for job searches.<br />I also learned that connecting with people is a great way to find a job. <br />