1. BE A GOAL SETTERWhat do you want to accomplish? Do youwant to save for college education for yourchildren? A new car? A new home? You canhave whatever you want, but you must wantit enough to do the things that have to bedone to get it. Whatever your goal, write itdown and set a target date for reaching it.Divide the time period into blocks ofachievement that are reachable. Workconsistently toward accomplishing eachday, each week, each month what you setout to do. Goal-setting is a must in everyarea of life. Little is ever accomplishedw i t h o u t d e f i n i t e g o a l s .
2. BE A LIST MAKER.Each evening list all the things you want toget done the following day. That gives youan organized approach to each day. As eachtask is finished, mark it off your list. It isamazing how much gets done when oneworks with a "things-to-do" list. Also, havea notebook listing appointments, potentialclients, repeat clients, and referrals, andkeep it with you at all times. You will beadding to it constantly.
3. BE ENTHUSIASTICEnthusiasm is the high-octane "fuel" thatSales people run on. Enthusiasm generatesits own energy. Energy and good health aresynonymous with busy, happy people, peoplewho are achieving.
4. RECOGNIZE THATTHE MAGIC WORD IN SALES IS "ASK." In direct sales we dont have to wait for business to come to us. We create our own business by asking for it. Ask for appointments, then you can do business. Ask for business, then you will close sales. Ask for referrals, then you always have a full list of potential clients. Be quietly, yet firmly aggressive.
5. EXPECT NOS.Realize that nos are not personal. In sales, asperhaps nowhere else, the law of averagesworks. Every no gets you closer to a yes. Keeptrack of your ratio. It will help improve yourtechniques. Are you getting ten nos to oneyes? Is your ratio five to one? Remember, theyess are your income. Also remember that"no" does not necessarily mean "no." Often a"no“ is simply a stall for more time to think. Itmay be a request for more information aboutyour product or your service. What your clientis actually buying is assurance. Assure here byyour helpful attitude and your completehonesty, that you want what is best for her.She will most likely respect you and do businesswith you.
6. SCHEDULE TIME WISELY.A schedule is the roadmap by which salespeople travel. It takes the frustration outof the day. It assures that the necessarythings get done and get done on time. Planyour work then work your plan.
7. BE POSITIVE IN YOUR ATTITUDE.Success in sales, as in all areas of life is 90percent attitude and 10 percent aptitude. Allof us must work at developing habits ofconstructive thinking. I am proud to be a salesperson. Sales make the wheels of oureconomy turn. Bernard Baruch, advisor to severalpresidents, is quoted as saying, "If everysalesperson sat down and took noorders for twenty-four hours, it would bankruptour country!“ Every company that manufacturesany kind of product depends upon sales people tomove that product. Without sales people businesswould be paralyzed. Remember, sales is one ofthe highest paid of all professions. Statistics showthat good salespeople enjoy incomes far abovethe average.
8. HAVE AN OFFICE AREA.Most direct salespeople work from theirown homes, but it is essential to have aplace where you can work in a organizedand efficient manner. An office plus astrict working schedule gives you dignity.Both are absolutely essential for efficientoperation and accurate record keeping, soimportant to the success of any business.
9. BE INVOLVED.Most sales organization offer contests tostimulate production. Include winningcontests as part of your business goals.Contests make your business fun as well asadding considerable dollar value to yourincome ..
10. LEARN TO HANDLE MONEY INTELLIGENTLY. A regular nine-to-five job usually means a paycheck at the end of the second week. Direct sales "reps" handle money constantly. Direct sales is instant income and constant income. Therefore. it is absolutely necessary to become an efficient money manager.