1. Lack of Persistence More people fail not because they lack knowledge or talent but because they quit. The total secret of success lies in two words, persistence and resistance . Persist in what must be done and resist what ought not to be done.
When problems seem insurmountable, quitting seems to be the easiest way out……
Winners are struck but not destroyed. We all have had setbacks in life. Failing does not mean we are failures.
2. Lack of Conviction People who lack conviction take the middle of the road; and guess what happens in the middle of the road? You get run over.
People without conviction do not take a stand . They go along to get along because they lack confidence and courage.
They conform in order to get accepted even when they know that what they are doing is wrong. They behave like part of a herd.
3. Rationalizing Winners may analyze but never rationalize. That is a loser's game. Losers always have a book full of excuses to tell you why they could not.
We hear excuses like……
I'm born under the wrong stars
I'm not good looking
I don't have contacts
I don't have enough money
The economy is bad
If only I had the opportunity
If only I didn't have a family
The list can go on and on…….
4. Not Learning from Past Mistakes
Some people live and learn , and some only live. Wise people learn from their mistakes.
People who do not learn lessons from history are doomed. Failure is a teacher if we have the right attitude. Failure is a detour, not a dead end. It is a delay, not a defeat. Experience is the name we give to our mistakes.
5. Lack of Discipline Anyone who has accomplished anything worthwhile has never done so without discipline.
Discipline takes self-control, sacrifice, and avoiding distractions and temptations. It means staying focused. Steam does not move the engine unless it is confined. Niagara Falls would not generate power unless it were harnessed.
6. Poor Self-Esteem Poor self-esteem is a lack of self-respect and self-worth. It leads to abuse of one's self and others.
People with low self-esteem are constantly looking for identity. They are trying to find themselves. One's self is not to be found but to be created.
Idleness is like rust that eats into the most brilliant metal. Idleness and laziness are consequences of poor self-esteem and so is making excuses.
7. Fatalistic Attitude
A fatalistic attitude prevents people from accepting responsibility for their position in life. They attribute success and failure to luck. They resign themselves to their fate.
They believe and accept the predestined future written in their horoscope or stars, that regardless of their effort whatever has to happen will happen.
Hence they never put in any effort and complacency becomes a way of life. They wait for things to happen rather than make them happen.