MEANING OF TERMINAL ILLNESS
A disease that cannot be cured and that is reasonably
expected to result in the death of the person within a
short period of time is termed as terminal illness.
It indicates a disease which will eventually end the life of
Counsellor must be able to
• Understand the illness experience.
• Perceive each patient’s experience as
• Foster a more egalitarian relationship.
• Build a therapeutic alliance.
• Develop self-awareness.
• Non-verbal communication
• Interactive communication
To conduct a effective counselling
Avoid making recommendations.
Do not jump to conclusions.
Do not shift from one subject to another.
Open ended and closed ended questions.
Keep your goals clearly in mind.
Determine the patient’s ability.
Barriers to effective counselling
False assumptions about patient
Negligence or malpractice
Terminally Ill patients
Patients with AIDS
Patients who are mentally ill
• 1. Harvey M. Rappaport et al. The Guidebook
for Patient Counselling. Lancaster,
Pennsylvania: Technomic Publishing Company,
• 2. Tindall, William N, Robert S. Beardsley,
Carole L. Kimberlin. Communication Skills in
Pharmacy Practice (fourth edition). Baltimore,
Maryland and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania :
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003.
MA PART II