2. CRYPTOGRAPHIC TERMINOLOGY
• PLAIN TEXT: The format of the data before
• CIPHER TEXT: The scrambled format of data
after being encrypted.
• ENCRYPTION: Method of transforming plain
text into an unreadable format.
• DECRYPTION: Method of obtaining the
encrypted text into plain text.
3. What is Cryptography
The art of protecting information by
transforming it (Encrypting it) into an
unreadable format, called Cipher text, only
those who posses a secret key can
Decipher or (Decrypt) the message into
4. WHY WE NEED A
• For confidentiality
• For authentication
• For data integrity
5. SYMMETRIC KEY ENCRYPTION
6. TYPES OF SYMMETRIC
8. PUBLIC /PRIVATE KEY
• A public key known to everyone
• private or secret key known only to the
recipient of the message
• When John wants to send a secure
message to Jane, he uses Jane's public
key to encrypt the message. Jane then
uses her private key to decrypt it.