2. Definition of Cinema Verite• Cinema Vertie- is a style of documentary filmmaking, combining naturalistic techniques with stylized cinematic devices of editing and camerawork, staged set-ups, and the use of the camera to provoke subjects.My own definition of Cinema Vertie• is a documentary style of cinematography. it combines naturalistic techniques with cinematic editing, camera work and stage set-ups.
3. History of Cinema VeriteIt was developed by French film directors in the 1960’s.Their production techniques did not depend on star qualityactors, sets, props, casts of thousands, special effectsand big budgets which was and is the trend in Hollywoodfilms. The cinema verite directors would tend to use non-actors, small hand- held cameras, and actual homes andsurroundings as their location for a film.
4. How it changed over time• For Historians, Cinema verite has changed to characterised by the use of camera to provoke and reveal.• They rely on editing to give shape, structure and meaning to the material recorded.• They capture real life footage so the audience can see the real meaning and truth and to almost experience and gain knowledge with them.
5. Characteristic and Techniques (Forms, Convention)Characteristic/ Techniques Does not use star quality actors Hand Held Camera Actual Homes Everything is shot on Locations Tape recorder AutomobileCONVETIONS Use of interviews Quoted Materials Voice over commentary Supporting Photographs
6. Examples of Cinema Verite
7. Roger and Me By Michael Moore Handheld Camera Voice Over Commentary Use of Interviews
8. WEST 47TH STREET BY BILL LICHTENSTEIN Interviews Hand Held Voice over commentary
9. Grey Gardens BySupporting Images Hand Held Camera Links back to its History Supportive quote