Sloan-C Programs &
• Membership: Lower prices
on conferences, workshops,
publications; full website
• Workshops: Over 100 each
year ($169 for members;
• College Pass: lowest prices
on bulk workshops (25, 50,
75 & 100 seat options)
• Certificate Program: Online
teaching & learning
• Blended Learning Mastery
• Mobile Learning Mastery
• 3 Annual Conferences:
Blended, Emerging Tech,
Annual Online Learning
• Workshops :
* Make a Great First Impression : Engaging Introduction Activities
July 26-28, 2013
* Spice-Up you’re your Weekly Announcements Using Multimedia
July 29, 2013 01:00 pm - 3:00 pm ET
• Webinar: The Sloan-C Certificate Program : Case Studies from Alumni
July 30, 2013 2:00 pm ET
• Conference : 19th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on
November 20-22, 2013 Lake Buena Vista, FL
Join us for Upcoming Sloan-C Events
I am attending this webinar today, because …
A. I am already registered for the Mobile Learning Mastery
Series. Trying to learn more about what to expect.
B. I am considering to register for the Mobile Learning
Mastery Series and trying to find out more about the
program and if I can expect to learn mobile techniques to
implement in my classes.
C. I do not know anything about Mobile Learning or Teaching.
Trying to find out what it is and if it is suitable for me.
D. I am tasked by my institution to attend and get a better
understanding of what is being offered through Mobile
Learning Mastery Series.
Meet our facilitator …
Director of Mobile
Meet Mobile Mastery Graduates
Torria Bond, Ph.D.
Online & Professional
• The series improved my course development
skills with mobile technology.
• Gained confidence to encourage faculty to
consider mobile devices in their course
• The best part of the series was the
opportunity to gain diverse perspectives on
Meet Mobile Mastery Graduates
Omar S. Lopez, Ph.D.
Texas State University -
Round Rock Campus
Department of Occupational,
Workforce, and Leadership
• Well balanced readings between practice and
research relevant to mobile learning.
• Well designed curriculum scope and sequence
• Prepared me to pursue on-learning practices
using mobile applications, and has launched me
into a research agenda in digital learning using
• Has changed how I assess students’ learning
from Bloom’s lower levels to higher levels.
Overview of Sloan-C Institute
Provides a place for professionals to engage in
professional development about online teaching
and learning with peers and experts.
- Certificate Program
- Mastery Series
Your Mobile Device
– What mobile device do you currently use?
a. Apple iPad / iPhone
b. Android tablet or phone
c. Windows tablet or phone
Favorite Educational Mobile Device
• Share in Chat:
–What is your Favorite Mobile Educational
Device To Currently Use?
–How do you use it to teach or learn?
• What Are They?
– Tools Used in Motion
–Connected Media Devices
By The Numbers
• 77% of the world’s population has access to a
(Kuhulska-Hulme & Traxler, 2005)
• 91% of American adults had cell phones, with
56% of American adults having smartphones as
of May 2013
(Pew Research Center, 2013).
• Having a device is not equal to learning.
• Planning and pedagogy need to direct learning.
• Use technology to enhance learning.
Definition of Mobile Learning
Learning across multiple contexts, through social
and content interactions, using personal
(Crompton, Muilenburg, and Berge, 2012)
• Transforming Education
–How We Learn
• Interplay Between Two Concepts
• Learning Engagement/Active Learning potential
• Informal learning opportunities
• Increased communication between teachers
learners, and content
• Can provide scaffolding opportunities
• Highly device specific
• Learning curve for teacher/student
• Need to develop multiple access points for data
Potential Mobile Uses
• Connecting with a community
• Keeping record of ideas and taking notes
• Enhance depth and breadth of Information
• Three workshops
– Explore relevant research
– Use research to help in designing an effective
blended teaching and learning environment.
– Time in between workshops
– Apply concepts and skills from workshop
Mobile Mastery Series Built Around
• Analyze research related to mobile learning
designs, student learning and satisfaction, and
• Develop a mobile course design plan with
outcomes and objectives
• Analyze teaching methods and learning
activities for use in your mobile learning
• Develop a teaching unit that includes
mobile learning options
• Understand assessment considerations and
strategies when integrating mobile activities
• Develop an assessment plan for your
mobile learning activities
Dates of Series
• Program Runs:
–September 6th – November 8th
Developing Mastery Provides:
• Rethink instructional process.
• Develop a theoretical framework for
incorporating mobile pedagogy.
• Embrace Change – Become an educational
• Innovation can produce enhanced learning
• Encourages lifelong learning.
Crompton, H., Muilenberg, L., & Berge, Z. (2012). A
historical overview of mobile learning: Toward
learner centered education. In Berge, Z., &
Muilenberg, L. (Eds.), Handbook of Mobile
Learning. New York: Routledge.
Kukulska-Hulme, A., & Traxler, J. (Eds.). (2005).
Mobile learning - a handbook for educators and
trainers. London: Routledge