On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
6. I will raise my hand and WAIT to be recognized by the teacher when I wish to speak to the teacher or answer a question.
7. I will never leave my assigned seat without the teacher’s permission.
8. I will not ask for a bathroom pass during the first ten minutes and during the last ten minutes of the period.
9. I will never ask to leave the room to see a guidance counselor or any other member of the staff unless I have a pass from that person. If I do have a pass, I will show the pass to my teacher who will decide whether or not I may leave the room.
10. I will never bring any food or soda to the classroom.
11. I will never litter the classroom or any part of the school building.
12. I will never make noise in the classroom or engage in any unauthorized conversations with my classmates.
13. I will bring all of my supplies everyday.*
14. I will use the following heading on all my classwork and homework assignments:
First Name, Last Name
Everyday, you must have with you,
A binder with two sections
Loose leaf paper
History of Queens
Aim: What are some important historical facts about Queens?
What is Queens like today?
Who lives here?
What kind of jobs do people do?
How do people get around?
What kind of food do people eat?
What do people do for fun or to relax?
Facts about Queens Today
Queens is the biggest borough in New York.
Queens is the most ethnically diverse county in the United States.
First generation immigrants make up 47% of the population.
Queens has 2.2 million people.
Queens would be the tenth largest city in America if it were it’s own city.
Where did Queens get the name Queens?
Queens is named after the Queen Catherine of England.
Brooklyn used to be called Kings County.
Why would Queens be named after the Queen of England?
Queens was home to Native Americans for nearly 2000 years.
Dutch and English settlers began to live in Queens in 1635. (Flushing was settled in 1642.)
Queens was established as a British Colony in 1683 before New York was a state.
Queens became a home to Quakers and other people seeking religious freedom.
Queens is called the birthplace of religious freedom.
During the American Revolutionary war British soldiers took over the homes of Queens residents.
Queens became part of the city of New York in 1898.
It rapidly expanded in population after 1900.
When the movie industry began Queens was the Hollywood of today.
Major stars lived and worked here and the RKO theatre was host to the most popular acts in entertainment.
The movie industry is coming back to Queens. There are now two major film studios in Queens.
Future of Queens
The future of Queens will be determined by you and your families.