I am going to start the presentation with a question. Raise your hand if you use smart phone for business. Keep your hands up if you worship your phone after work. Inst it amazing how mobile technology has transformed out lives. 20 years ago I didn’t even had a computer and the only computer that I had access to work a dos based 386 machine at my school. Fast forward today, emarketer and comsource (leading research agencies have predicted mobile users to exceed desktop users by the end of this year. When it comes to marketing platforms, mobile exceed the growth rate than any other media.
Let’s look at few more facts and figures. 120 million users in Us of which 75% carry their phones all the time
Here are various locations where we use our mobile devices. Any guesses where we use our mobile device most. Home is the #1 places where we
What are we using mobile for? Google continues to be the leading mobile platform. No doubt about this one because their free Android OS distribution strategy was to capture mobile market.
Here are few interesting use cases for mobile. Notice how finding about new products is more popular than looking for a restaurant.
Are you familiar with the demand generation funnel? What we are going to do here is apply the same funnel to mobile commerce and discuss each major section of the mobile demand generation funnel in details. There is a mobile counterpart to each phases of this funnel. You can use mobile display, mobile seo or ppc in awareness phase. Mobile site or app in engagement phase. Some type of offer in consideration. Mobile shopping cart in acquisition phase and social media in retention phase.
Why does a business needs a mobile site. We discuss few data points before but here is what users do through a mobile site. On top of using mobile for multiple tasks users expect the mobile experience to be as good as desktop if not better.
Before you starting developing mobile site there are several key research areas. First you need to get buy in from the owner or the leadership team. I remember back in 2011, when I first started with the a mission to built our first mobile site for Rackspace.com it was not an easy process. The way I approached it was I took as much data as I could find from web analytics and revenue metrics and pitched the idea to our leadership. My case went from should have to must have because we were clearly leaving a revenue on the table. Then I recruited an external agency to work on the project due to the work load on our internal web team. It took us 4-5 months to go from not having a mobile site to having a full blown mobile experience.
Once you have the initial information the next step is to understand your target audience. In most cases your person audience and messaging will be similar to the website. However, there are several other considerations such as what is the most active segment on mobile. What devices do they use (android, iphone, tablet).
There are multiple types of mobile site but at a foundational level it falls under two categories. First is having an dependant mobile site which is not connect to your desktop content vs having a responsive design. Responsive design is the latest buzz word mainly because the site design automatically adjusts to the platform.
1. Sameer KhanDigital marketing lead @RackspaceEntrepreneur, speaker and bloggerMobile Marketing TacticsYour Competitors Won’t like!
3. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMAgenda3 Mobile opportunity Mobile website Advertising Mobile Apps SMS Marketing
4. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMMobile Will Surpass Desktops by 2013Source: Emarketer.com.
5. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMSmart Phone Usage in the US78%Adoption47%7 day usage75%Carry it allthe timeSource: Google, Inc and Emarketer.com.
6. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMSmartphone Usage LocationsSource: Google, Inc.
7. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMSmartphone Internet UsageSource: Google, Inc.
8. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMWhat are Users Looking for?Source: Google, Inc.
9. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMMobile Purchase FunnelAwarenessEngagementConsiderationAcquisitionRetentionMobile displayads, SEO, PPC,Qcode, SocialMobile website,apps, chatCoupon, Free offer,Click to call, Geotargeted appsMcommerce, LeadformsApps, Social MediaFollowup
10. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMMobile Site
11. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMThe Need for Business Mobile Site37%Visited businesswebsite17%Made a purchasefrom businessonline23%Got contactinformation andstore locations28%Recommendedthe business toothersSource: Google, Inc.
12. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMBuilding Mobile Site : Research• Leadership insight• Audit (Content + Tech)• Google Analytics Analysis of yourMobile traffic (opportunity analysis) Mobile traffic % Traffic by Device Mobile conversion % Mobile OS Traffic Bounce rate
13. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMPersona, Audience and Messaging13Who?Why?How?Whatplatform?
14. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMMobile Exclusive Vs Responsive DesignResponsiveFull mobile•Full design/UX control•Easy tomanage•Loads Faster•Good forsmaller sites•Limitedflexibility•Load timeissues in mostcases•Cross platformfunctionality•Good for largerwebsites
15. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMOther Design Consideration Hosting provider(cloud vs dedicated vsvendor hosting) Universal vsSmarphone vs TabletUI CMS platform
16. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMBuilding Mobile Site using Templates•Theme Forestmobile themes•Dudamobile•Mofuse•Google GOMOtemplates•Joosee
18. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMSEO for Mobile Site 301 Redirects Robot.txt (allow all) Mobile sitemap Keyword Page Title Interlinking Google Places Bing Local Pages
19. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMMobile AdvertisingSource: Google, Inc.
21. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMMobile Advertising: Ad BuysMobile DisplayAds
22. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMGoogle Search Ad ExtensionsClick to Call Mobile App ExtensionMobile Site-Links Location Extension
23. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMMobile Advertising: Best Practices• 300x50• Animated Banners• No Flash• CPC model works best• 30-40% are unintentional clicks• Test a lot  Prosper202.com,Hasoffers.com, MobaffTracker.com• Use Ad server  Mediamind.com• Bid on position #1 and #2 for GooglePPC
24. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMMobile Advertising: KPIS• Clicks to call• Clicks to maps or location extension• App downloads• Orders placed• Downloads completed• Conversions• Videos viewed• Contact form submits
31. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMSMS Marketing: Why?• Cell phone is a lifeline• Traditional media channels are dying• Internet is few clicks away• Cost effective• Text messages popup!
32. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMSMS Marketing: What?• Promos / Deals• Local Marketing• Events• News / AlertsNote - Please consult appropriate local laws before sending out messages.User consent is important.
33. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMSMS Marketing: Best Practices• Once a week to 10 days• Short and easy• Allow users to opt in• Use short codes• Auto responders• Contests• DO NOT SPAM!
34. RACKSPACE® HOSTING | WWW.RACKSPACE.COMSMS Marketing: Top Providers