What ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?• I chose to a horror genre for my film opening. I first researched different type of sub-genre there are in the horror genre.• There are load of sub-genres for horror and the few I found where spoof, survival horror, lovecraftin horror, zom com, Japanese horror, horror of Armageddon, gothic horror and zombie apocalypse. I also searched the history of horror and when it started.• In most horror films I found several trends that most horror genres follow like:• The corruption of innocence• Mystic phenomena• Detachment• Helplessness and hopelessness• Unanswered questions
• There are many themes as well that influence horror films:• Supernatural• Serial killers• Virus or disease outbreak• Ghosts• Werewolves• Ancient curses• Satanism• Demons• Animals• Vampires• Cannibals• Haunted houses• Zombies• Religions• Mythical creatures• Myths and legends
• In the film there is also visual traits like:• Dark lighting• Special effects• Different types of screen shots• Sound is also a massive factor in this as the type of sound or the way it’s played can send messages to the audience and can create a build-up of tension and pace of the film.• In my opening I challenge some of the absents of the horror genre like I used bright lighting but the weather in my opening suggest horror as the sky look cloudy and stormy. I also used music that I thought best suggested a school themes like piano playing, which suggest children that are twisted in a horrible way and that it quickly change into bass music this helps to create the era of my film in presented day but the bass music is still kept scary as it also creates a fast pace of the action of the opening.• I would develop some of my screen shot to differ because I have a couple of medium-long shot, which I now look back at and think I could of really used a different shot that would of worked better to that scene. I would also use a different editing programme which gave me a wider range of effects and transition.
How does your media product represent a particular social group?• I haven’t chosen a particular social group as I feel it will appeal to different types of social groups and that I don’t want the opening to be a nise, as this could be a hard film to produce and sell as it is only for certain people.
What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?• I would use Dimension Extreme or Brain Damage films.• Brain Damage films distribute mainly low- budgeted horror films. Is mainly am at indie horror worldwide and is not limited to DVD/Broadscast/VOD/Interne/Retail/Rental so I would probably not use this distribute as they are only seen on the website of brain damage films, and this would limit the audience.• Dimension Extreme is for horror, sci-fi and thriller genre. They realse unrated horror films like:• Black sheep• Teeth• Buried alive• And many more• I would use these as they have distributed a lot of horror films on DVDs and this would promote my film to a wide audience than it would with Brain Damage films.
Who would be the audience for your media product?• I first made a questionnaire and send it to a large number of random people of different genders, ages and I also asked what type of horror film they enjoy to watch more.• In my questionnaire I asked the following questions:• How old are you?• What is your gender?• What do you like about horror films and why?• What is your favourite horror?• What type of horror theme do you prefer out of these?
• The questionnaire help me make my final decisions about my film opening.
• in these results the pie chart shows the percentage of likes of each option. the most popular result out of all the options was Zombies, which i am have consider and made an decision that it will be my theme for the film, i am creating, as it shows that most people prefer zombie movies over the other theme. maybe because of the fear factor and frightening natural of a zombie movie.
• in this chart it shows which gender prefers to enjoy watching horror films.• in this the results show that the number of male and female are all most equal and that the films shouldnt be aim at just one particular gender and that the film should have and audience which is enjoyed by both genders.
• this graph shows the age restriction people think a horror should be. the most popular age is 15<18, which suggests that only people age 15 and over can watch it because the content is not suitable for younger viewers. i have chosen to use this age restriction as this gives me a wide range of ideas and material to create an amazing horror as the content has an age restriction.
How did you attract your audience?• I attached my audience by the Morden music and the humour within the start of the opening.• One viewer said “they loved the acting which seem not serious, which gave humour to the opening.”• I also feel I attracted my audience by the camera shots of them running away and the close-up of their feet, it gives a sense of fear and the unknown.
What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?• I have learnt that some editing software’s are better than others as they provide better quality and more features to use when making the film. I have also learnt that the quality of the camera also helps create refined film footage.
Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?• I have learnt that time management is needed though out the whole task and that getting behind can be hard to catch up.• I also learnt that different camera shot show different things to other people and give a sense of the character and the emotion of the situation.• It has also helped me to understand different ways to film and create different effects to transition.