Pass out handout
Hi! I’m Jeanette
Director of Outreach
Create a Holiday Plan
1. What is success?
2. What’s your story?
3. Communication schedule
Success may include
• Increase new donors by x%
• Total end of year giving by x%
• Increase average gift amount
• Use Salsa reports
-what is success? Activists to donors, web visitors, higher dollar amount or better than last year
- Use November as the month of member appreciation.
-- How can you show your appreciate to your members? Have free stuff to offer?
-- Consider not sending a list of accomplishments in the typical end of year letter. Instead do this in November, THEN create a fundraising
campaign for December.
1sky offers their end of year report, before the end of the year. A great way to excite folks about your
They included the report in the their Salsa donation page.
-Tell your organization’s story (in Nov). Include photos and emotion when possible.
-Put real people behind organization
-Think about sending a url with a short video from staff telling about accomplishments in a conversational way
Tell your members why your staff,board or volunteers give to the organization. This is the Executive
Director of Wild South telling her story about why she donates.
Example excellent fundraising hook and arc.
- A $5 donation perks your interests because its so low AND you get a free magnet
- The email subject line “hand sanitizers” is a great hook for their audience because their members are concerned with toxic
- The next few emails play off this campaign...the subject line and contents changes slightly.
Subject line “safe holiday gifts” continues to perk the interests of their members and is part of the same campaign.
A classic fundraising appeal format.
- only include urls that direct folks to make a donation
- include 2 donation urls in the the content body
- the donation landing page (when they click to donate), should have the same look and feel as the email.
Multi-Appeal Series vs Stand Alone
Response Rate Average Gift
Series 1.3% $90
Stand Alone 0.3% $55
Typical results (from M+R research) - www.mrss.com
Ask online donors to give ofﬂine and viceversa. Multiple opportunities = multiple gifts
Send email appeal during last 5 days of the year- most important time to send.
Integration – indicate when snail mail goes out.
Report using the query builder that pulls up your high donors