What have you learnt abouttechnologies from constructing this project?
Panasonic HD900We were given the option to use the better definition camera due to our success in the preliminary task. We wanted to take this opportunity as we felt that our movie was fairly slow paced so the difference between the definition would be slightly more noticeable. The focus varying preference on the camera also gave us the chance to try to push the boundaries for our piece. The camera was easy to used and was hand held so we could vary our shot choice beyond the panning and tilting. We used the camera to rack focus on a shot of the phone vibrating and the lady looking at the phone. This showed the fact she is looking at it and guides the audience as to what to look at.
ExtrasWe felt that we should use other equipment to make the film seem more professional. A handheld effect we thought was a little unprofessional and so we experimented with other options to keep the camera steady. The first port of call was a tripod. A simple piece of equipment but extremely effective to keep the camera still for shots such as panning and tilting. We used this when necessary as we attempted each shot in many ways to try to get the best effect. We also used a different sort of tripod which allowed us to get the camera a lot closer to the floor. We used this for the opening pan of the frames as it allowed us to get closer to the frames and in line. We attempted to use the steady cam at various points during our filming however mastering this particular contraption was fairly difficult.
LightingWe wanted to create the best setting we could so we wanted to use lighting to get the desired effect. We thought that with lighting we could choose the emphasis of the shadows inside and we tried to mimic the conditions of the weather that the man walking is walking in. We used fill lights, a back light and key lights for our photo frames shot to create a day light effect as well.
Adobe Premiere Elements We used a program called Adobe Premiere Elements to edit together our piece. It has the necessary tools to create the effects we wanted. We were able to add and change the sound files we wanted with minimum hassle. We also used the editing to better tell the story of our film. We tried to edit our piece to create a tone. We swapped and changed the order of the shots due to the change in script. We also needed to get the sound we wanted which was of Darius (Alessio) on the phone rather than just recorded so the audience feel more in touch with the Lisa (Grace) character. We added non-diegetic sound at the beginning to instigate the tone. I also created the logo animation for our production company with Premier and was able to create a movement for the logo which looks fairly professional. I used the various animation options to move the text around and get the effect I wanted with the background image.
GaragebandWe used Garageband to create copyright free music to add to the general tone and ambience of the piece. We decided against the use of already produced music from websites such as Microsoft, etc, as we felt that we wanted to dictate the pace of the piece rather than picking music and having that dictate the pace. I used my iPad to create some of the instrumental pieces myself and Grace also created several pieces which we both fed back to the group to see if they felt right for what we, as a group, wanted to create.