Leadership is not magnetic personality—that can just as well be a glib tongue. It is not “making friends and influencing people”—that is flattery. Leadership is lifting a person’s vision to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations. Peter Drucker
4. They fail to leave behind ultimate contributions.
5. They stop walking in awareness of their influence and destiny.
“ A leader whose skills outstrip his character formation will eventually falter.”
The New Realities of Leadership The Leadership Challenges James Kouzes and Barry Posner
1. The cynics are winning
2. Power has shifted from those with titles to those with information.
3. Knowledge is the new currency.
4. The new social contract promises “fulfillment.”
5. There’s a renewed search for meaning.
All our leadership knowledge needs to be translated into willpower . Study after study over the past 20 years has found essentially the same thing: more than half the organizations who start a change program fail within 12 months. Why do you believe this occurs?
“ Ask any kid why he plays ball and he’ll say because it’s fun, not because it will help him stay healthy when he’s 80. That’s the nature of intrinsic motivation, it’s something done for its own sake.
That doesn’t mean external rewards aren’t motivating. It’s that the motivation becomes dependent upon rewards, and if they’re not salient enough and not continuous enough, then the motivation will track that.” – Dr. Ryan