Egt (exhaust gas temperature)Presentation Transcript
EGT (EXHAUST GAS
EGT stand for exhaust gas temperature. It
measure the temperature of the exhaust gasses
coming out of the nozzles. It is a tool used to
monitor the engines health as well as setting
the proper air-fuel ratio mixture.
An EGT gauge measures the temperature as the
exhaust leaves the cylinder.
EGT is a measure of the engine’s efficiency in
producing its design level of thrust
The higher EGT is the more wear and deterioration
affects the engine
EGT GUAGE: A must for safe flying
An EGT “pyrometer” is a non-contacting device
that intercepts and measures thermal
radiation, gauge monitors the temperature of the
exhaust gases as they exist the combustion chamber.
An EGT can be used to maximize your engine
performance, while monitoring its temperature for signs
How an EGT gauge works?
EGT gauges are self-powered and
require no outside source of electrical
energy other than for lighting.
Advantages of EGT gauges
The EGT instrument is a very useful tool with the
following major advantages:
1) Saves fuel
2) Helps increase range
3) Aids in proper and precise fuel management
4) Aids in detection of engine problems
5) Helps to obtain peak engine performance at altitude
6) Reduces spark plug fouling
7) Adapts to most General Aviation piston engines.
Reason For Change In EGT
1. Air intake leak.
2. Air fuel mixture too lean
3. Air fuel mixture too rich
4. Changes in density altitude
5. Changes in relative humidity
6. Changes in air temperature
7. Pre-ignition or detonation
8. Fault spark plug or ignition system
9. Improper prop load
10. Poor quality or grade of fuel
11. Improper fuel air ratio, plugged main jet, failed needle
jet, or clip