1. During winter, why is itimportant to protect water pipes?
2. Why is itadvisable to allowtelephone lines tosag when stringingthem betweenpokes in summer?
3. What is the change in length ofa metal rod with an initial lengthof 2 meters, a coefficient ofthermal expansion 0.00002 /K anda temperature change of 20 K?
4. Suppose you have a 0.05 Lcontainer made of glass that is at283 K. You raised its temperatureto 303 K. By how much will itsvolume increase? (glass = 25.5x10-6 1/K)
5. A steel rail is 24.4mlong. How much does itexpand during a daywhen the lowtemperature is 291 Kand high temperature is306 K? (Steel = 12 x10 1/K) -6
6. The length of a brass bar is 150cm at 40 C. What will be its lengthat 100 C?(α = 19 x 10-6/K)
7. An aluminum flag pole is20.0 m tall on a -15 C winter’sday. How much higher will theflag fly from the pole on a hot42 C summer day?
8. What amount of change intemperature did a 0.25 kg coppermetal undergo when it is initially5.0 m long and expanded by0.00002 m?
9. A glass flask whose volume is 1000.0cm 3 at 0.0 C is completely filled withmercury at this temperature. Whenflask and mercury are warmed to 80.0 C, 12.5 cm3 of mercury overflow.Compute the coefficient of volumeexpansion of the glass.