1. (PROJECT) BBA - 6 Foundation University Institute ofEngineering And Management Sciences
2. SUBMITTED BY  SAIFULLAH MALIK  BILAL AHMAD  IBRAHEEM ANSER  RAHEEM ANSER  KHALID RAZZAQ  HUSSAIN UD DINSUBMITTED TO  MR. WAQAS AHMADSUBMISSION DATE  8/06/2010
3. GROUP (MOTTO) *YOU WERE BORN WITH WINGS, WHY PREFER TO CRAWL THROUGH LIFE – (RUMI) *TO WHAT HEIGHT CAN I NOT RISE *LIVE EVERYDAY LIKE THERE’S NO TOMMOROW * TAKE EVERYTHING I CAN & MORE QUOTE *OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST MISS MY MIND THE MOST
4. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT We at first bow our head before Allah Almighty who bestowed his countless blessings upon us, guided us towards the way of success, and blessed us with courage of facing problems and obstacles. We have no words at our command to express our deepest sense of gratitude of All Mighty Allah who enabled us to complete our project against all odds. We wish to place our deep sense of thanks to MR. WAQAS AHMAD who guided us to complete this project in its true sense. His valuable experience and knowledge of the field removed the difficulties at all crucial junctures. We acknowledge untiring efforts of our teacher who has been a beacon of light for us. He broadened our horizon by allowing us to research at our own and gave us free will to right whatever we wanted to.
5. PROJECTAUTOMATIC NUMBER PLATE RECOGNITION IMPLENTMENT ON PAKISTAN TRAFFIC SECURITY SYSTEM
6. TABLE OF CONTENTSTOPICS TOPIC NO’SIntroductionMain characteristics of information systemlicense plate capture cameraAimObjectivesMissionStrategyLicense plate recognition (LPR) systemLicense plate recognition (LPR) systemWhy we need two cameras for traffic surveillance?License plate recognition softwareAnpr systemSystem components & how they workCamera requirementsFeaturesHardwareUse of anpr systems
8. •License plate recognition (LPR)INTRODUCTIONA vehicle registration plate is a metal or plastic plate attached to amotor vehicle or trailer for official identification purposes. Theregistration identifier is a numeric or alphanumeric code thatuniquely identifies the vehicle within the issuing region’s database.Eight types of license plates are used in Pakistan. Each provinceand territory issues its own number plate; the federal governmentissues number plates for foreign diplomats and vehicles owned bythemilitary, police and federal departments (red for foreign diplomatsand green for the federal government.)Sindh’s number platesare yellow with black letters and numbers for private vehicles andBlack number plates with white letters for commercial vehicles;Islamabad, NWFP, Azad Jammu and Kashmir, Balochistan
9. and Northern Areas have white number plates with black letters andnumbersThe number plates also have the province or territory’s name at thebottom. In Punjab however, number plates can be of any color thevehicle owner chooses, but the first 2 letters represent the city thevehicle is registered in.The same all over Punjab and has a sign and’ Punjab’ written on it,while the white parthas the number of the vehicle. For example:•RIZ 3725, is a vehicle registered in•RIW1329, is a vehicle registered inRawalpindi, Punjab.
10. MAIN CHARACTERISTICS OF INFORMATION SYSTEMLICENSE PLATE CAPTURE CAMERALicense plate capture cameras are a specialized form of CCTV camerathat has built in software that helps to identify and capture licenseplates on still or moving vehicles. The intelligent traffic modes builtinto these cameras allows the camera to compensate for speed,weather, and headlight issues which all make it challenging tocapture a usable video that identifies license plates.AIM•To Reduce Crime and the Fear of Crime•Reduce Burglaries•Reduce Vehicle Crime•Reduce shop theft
11. •Reduce damage and graffiti•Reduce motorcycle / traffic related nuisanceOBJECTIVES • ANPR – capitalising on what you already knowMISSIONDelivering superior knowledge at the point of decisionSTRATEGY•Work with Partner Agencies at National, Regional and Local Levelto Share Assets and Data, avoid Duplication and enhanceOperational Effectiveness
12. •Proactively maintain National support and momentum for ANPRwithin the Police Service, partner agencies and Government•Working with the ANPR industry, continue to develop and exploitTechnology to support ANPR activities.•Promote the better collection, use and weeding of vehicleintelligence to support ANPR activity, including utilization ofappropriate databases from other agenciesLICENSE PLATE RECOGNITION (LPR) SYSTEMCCTV Camera Pros license plate recognition (LPR) system, provideshigh-resolution video monitoring and recording. Our License PlateRecognition (LPR) system is an effective video surveillance andparking lot monitoring solution. Many parking lots have a highsecurity risk rating. It is difficult for security personnel to monitorisolated areas or levels of large lots. Most lots need effective digitalsurveillance systems to provide live monitoring and continuousrecording. These video surveillance systems provide protection andreassurance to customers and employees.
13. The license plate capture system activates the LPR recognitionprocess in two ways. TWO WAYS PROCESS LPR RECOGNITION • The first is via software video motion detection, which detects vehicles passing through the camera and illumination zone. • The second is by input / output activation, which triggers recognition and recording upon I/O activation. The system supports both camera overview and picture-in-picture modes with ease of monitoringWHY WE NEED TWO CAMERAS FOR TRAFFIC SURVEILLANCE?•The monochrome camera produces high-contrast license plateimages characterized by unmatched clarity.•Simultaneously, a second camera captures color overview images ofvehicles for additional video evidence.LICENSE PLATE RECOGNITION SOFTWARE
14. •The Geovision-LPR license plate recognition software features:•High recognition rate•High recognition speed: < 0.2 second•Supports up to 8 I/O Trigger or 4 Motion Detection lanes•Support image up to 720 x 480 (NTSC) providing higher accuracy•Integrate with GV-series DVR capture cards•Vehicle counter feature tracks number of vehicles•Camera overview for vehicle or driverThe GeoVision GV-LPR license plate recognition software is aneffective video security and parking / traffic monitoring solution. Toprovide security or allow access to customers and employees,parking lots can integrate these high efficiency digital surveillancesystems with license plate recognition to enhance lots security andsurveillance efficiency. GV-LPR is used with GeoVision Surveillanceand License Plate Capture Cameras.LPR (License Plate Recognition) is an image-processing technologyused to identify vehicles by their license plates. This technology isused in various security and traffic applications, such as gated access-
15. control system. The GV-LPR license plate recognition systemprovides high-resolution video monitoring and recording.The system uses illumination (such as Infrared) and a license platecapture camera to take the image of the front or rear of the vehicle,then the GV-LPR license plate recognition software processesanalyzes the images and extracts the plate information. This data isused for enforcement, data collection, and can be used to open a gateif the car is authorized or keep a time record on the entry or exit forautomatic payment calculations.The LPR system significant advantage is that the system can keep animage record of the vehicle which is useful in order to fight crime andfraud. An additional camera can focus on the driver face and save theimage for identification reasons.GV-ANPR SYSTEM
16. SYSTEM COMPONENTS & HOW THEY WORKA typical LPI/R system is comprised of a video image-acquisitionsubsystem, a CPU for image processing and control, a hardware- orsoftware-based character recognition engine, and a storage or
17. transmission subsystem for electronically recording plate Contentsand data such as date ,time and locationSPECIFICATIONS Illumination 0.05 LUX or lowerCAMERA REQUIREMENTS Minimum Resolution 480 Horizontal Line Auto Electronic Shutter 1 / 60 ~ 1 / Auto White Balance Compensation Required Backlight Compensation Required
18. FEATURES•High recognition rate: 99% (at best performance)•High recognition speed: < 0.2 second•Support up to 8 I/O Trigger or 4 Motion Detection lanes•Support Hardware Watchdog•Support image up to 720 x 480 (NTSC) / 720 x 576 (PAL) providinghigher accuracy•Integrate with GV-series DVR to retrieve video footage by licenseplate number .•Vehicle counter feature tracks number of vehicles remaining in theparking lot by counting vehicles entering and exiting the gate•Camera overview brings focuses on either the vehicle or the driver
19. •License plate recognition database are processed and stored inMicrosoft Access Database for easy and multiple applications•Multiple recognition technology is applied until a recognition resultis reached•Alarm will be triggered when an unauthorized or unrecognizablevehicle is spotted•Picture-in-Picture window provides camera overview and the lastrecognized image•Video or AVI file is used as recognition input source•Digital watermark technology is applied to verify authenticity ofvideo clips•Text overlay displays license plate numbers on recorded videoimage•Activate recognition by sensor triggers, video motion detection orHot Key•Recognition result triggers I/O Relay or user-defined application•Recognize and display license plate image registered in database•Retrievable vehicle entry and exit records by license plate number
20. •JPEG format support allows approximately 2 million JPEG imagesto be saved in a 160 GB HDD•Auto recycle for image storage and database backupHARDWAREAt the front end of any ANPR system is the imaging hardware whichcaptures the image of the license plates. The initial image captureforms a critically important part of the ANPR system which, oftendetermines the overall performance.License plate capture is typically performed by specialized camerasdesigned specifically for the task.
21. Factors which pose difficulty for license plate imaging camerasinclude speed of the vehicles being recorded, varying ambientlighting conditions, headlight glare and harsh environmentalconditions. Most dedicated license plate capture cameras willincorporate infrared illumination in order to solve the problems oflighting and plate reflectivity.USE OF ANPR SYSTEMS•Section control, to measure average vehicle speed over longerdistances.•Border crossings•Filling stations to log when a motorist drives away without payingfor their fuel.•Traffic management systems, which determine traffic flow using thetime it takes vehicles to pass two ANPR sites•Drive Through Customer Recognition, to automatically recognizecustomers based on their license plate and offer them their lastselection, improving service to the customer.•To assist visitor management systems in recognizing guest vehicles