Intentionaly left blank
Intentionally left blank
The GIVE Unit
GIVE (Get Involved,Volunteer Empower ) Unit is a students’ founded and run organization
that seeks to empower young people to realize and develop their potential in
entreprenership,leadership and self development through mentoring,learning and
1.create worthwhile networks with the people already in the corporate field
2.Empower students with an entrepreneurial spirit and eradicate the employee mentality
3.give the students a chance to volunteer in various socio-economic fields
4.help the students discovers and grow their absolute potential
6.Connect students to mentors who will guide them through a personal development
7. create events and programs to inspire, train, and coach new generations of entrepreneurs
to empower them with leadership and management skills.
GIVE is a registered student organization in kenyatta university.GIVE is not biased to a
specific academic line but draws its members from every academic discipline.GIVE seeks to
assist those with passion for entrepreneurship and personal development and ready to
volunteer.this unit hopes to spread its tentachles and reach out to other institutions of higher
learning to bring together students and young generations to take charge of their potential
and create wothwhile opportunities to develop themselves and the society.
Give focusses on
Leadership and motivational weekend workshops
Through mentoring everyone gains when there is a healthy exchange of information.
Leaders and high achievers realize those junior to them are watching and learning from
them even if it is at a distance. However, with the amount of information and knowledge
available to everyone, it need not be mentioned that "Distance learning" will never be as
beneficial as one-on-one mentoring. It helps the mentees reach their full potential.
GIve intends to initiate mentoring programmes,where provisions and assistance will be
available for each member student to get a mentor from various fields of professions.
This mentorship is intended to provide support, advice, reinforcement and constructive
examples to help them (mentees) succeed in their various endevours principally by
spending time with their mentors on personal and career development .
LEADERSHIP AND MOTIVATIONAL WEEKENDS WORKSHOPS
GIVE will host a series of leadership and motivational workshops within the Univesity on
weekends from people who have already had accomplishmenet in their respective
fields,inorder to instill in students emotional intelligence and broader frames of reference
that leadership increasingly demands.
This will also bring about a sense of purpose in terms of enhancing interest in
entrepreneurial and intellectual discourse.
Along the same line GIVE will also be mounting motivational outreach programmes
designed to reach young people outside the University students fraternity and give them a
chance to gain leadership knowledge.
While people used to claim that leaders are born not made, it is now clear that even if you
are not a naturally talented leader, there is a lot to learn given the right training.
GIVE will be engaging students in practical leadership and management drills meant to
sharpen them by arranging competitions such as “model apprentice” where the students
will get a chance to manage a real working company section in accordance to the
arrangements with our corporate partners.this is intended to give the learners a cutting edge
launch toward their leadership progression.
Entrepreneurship education should be viewed broadly in terms of the skills that can be
taught and characteristics that can be engendered in students that can help them develop
new and innovative plans; that can be implemented. T. senaji (2007).
In a world economy characterised by staggering rates of unemployment GIVE intends to
shift the mindset of its members and the whole University from only foccusing on securing
employment to focusssing on having an entrepreneurial spirit.we intend to do this by
engaging the students in symposiums,compeititve forums and progressively more
challenging educational activities and experiences that will enable us to develop the insight
needed to discover and create entrepreneurial opportunities and prepare us to succeed in an
Give in conjuction with our corporate partners will give its member students a chance to
enhance their qualities through active engagement within the university and volunteerig
within the wider community.
GIVE hopes to partner with various corporate entities who will give its member students a
chance to volunteer in various capacities within their organizations challenging students to
realise their goals and explore new ideas.volunteering will play a vital role to:
• create supportive networks that aid students in their endeavours
• promote and support volunteerism amongst students
• empower students with a variety of valuable skills
• establish projects that address needs in the University and community
• foster positive relationships between University staff and students and the entire
GIVE will volunteer in various activities which include
• Gabbage collection within the unversity
• Liase with the university administration for students to vvolunteer in the technical
and administration department among others.
• Partnering with companies to accommodate students to volunteer with them
• Join comppanies during their corporate social responsibilities such as tree planting
• Organise students to do clean ups in towns and slums as well as voisiting the old and
the children’s homes.
(please add 3 more activities that can be done)
The following are some of the targeted people and corporates to work with
• The kenyatta Univesity alumni
• Ministry of youth affairs
• Directorate of mentoring programmes kenyatta Univesity
• Directorate of alumni kenyatta university
• Centre for career development and placement
• Various departments within kenyata university
• Isaac mwaura-chairman ku alumni board
• The entrepreneurs club (kenya) chairman-George Mogaka
• Mugo Kibati former CEO east african cables
• AIG Insurance company
• Joint University mentorship programme(JUMP)
• “Makocha minds” IBM initiative
• Strathmore university
• innovative lawyering- University of nairobi
• Volunteer kenya
• Graduate volunteers kenya (mr.wanyeki)
• Nation media group
• Young CEOs
• James mworia –ceo cellulant