“AFFORESTATION ON DRY LAND”
M.Sc. General Forestry
First Year/1st sem
Roll # 39
Presentation out line
Conclusion and recommendation
• Dry area is an area which receives less than 900mm
of rainfall annually.
• Dry lands occupy 6.15 billion hectares or 47.2% of
the world's land area.
• Annual rainfall varies from 250-750mm in dry areas .
• .Afforestation is the planting of trees to create a
forest on non-forest land but it is differ from
• China - highest afforestation rate of any country in
the world, with 47,000 sq k.m afforestation in 2008.
• Spain had the third fastest afforestation rate in
Europe in the 1990-2005 period, , a total of 44,360
sq k.m. were afforested ( FAO statistics )
• Around 9.09 lakh hac afforested in Gujarat,India
during the last 10 years (The times of india,22
Major plantation activities in Nepal were carried out in the late
seventies and or during eighty. FAO (2006).
• TCN In FY 1989, more than 28,000 hectares were targeted for
afforestation, but only 23,000 hectares were afforested that
• The total plantation of Nepal comes to 1.3% of total forest
area of the country. considering the plantation area word
wide which accounts for 3.8% of global forest area (FAO 2006)
The main purposes of afforestation are
To increase the production of timber.
To increase the production of fuel and small timber.
Improvement of Agro-ecosystem.
2. Environmental restoration or preservation.
• Soil conservation.
• Protection of catchment of rivers.
• Increasing natural beauty of landscape.
Afforestation of dry areas without irrigation:
• Less moisture and high temperature; Severe frost in winter.
Human and animal pressure is great.
• conserve maximum moisture by digging as deep
• contour trench are made .(if sloppy area)
Species selecton• fast growing as well as frost and drought –resistance eg khair,
Sisso , kalo siris, Cassia fistula, Cassia simea, Azedirachta
indica. Eucalyptus. Prosopis juliflora.
• Most of the species can be raised by direct sowing chiefly but
as the moisture is limiting factor ,it is better if plants rasied in
polythene bags are planted out as far as possible.
Afforestation of dry areas with irrigation: contd..
• It is done on a small scale in a few state in india
such as Hariyana, rajasthan and Tamil nadu.
• In Nepal mostly done in rainy seasons.
• Locality factors must be considered while
afforestation work done. such as Less rainfall, Less
soil moisture and high temperature ,Winter Frost and
Low water table.
• In order to irrigate the area should be level as far as
possible & divided in to rectangular compartments
and should be connected with irrigation channels.
Afforestation of dry areas with irrigation:
• better to raised mixed plantation of Dalbergia sissoo
, Eucalyptus, Bombax ceiba, Morus, Syzygium, Acacia
arabia. Dalbergia sissoo and Bombax ceiba, Morus, is
raised by stump.
• If irrigation is assured spring planting is done. otherwise
monsoon planting is done.
• Plantations are irrigated for 2-3 years at least. 10-15
irrigation in first year. 6-10 irrigation in 2nd year. 5 irrigation
in 3rd year
• Sowing And polybags planting can be done
Promotion of plants growth
In the dry areas growth is
promoted by ensuring
and retention of water
(practices applied Keniya)
Sub soiling before the rains
Circular water harvesting structure
Rocks & pebbles as mulch
W – shaped micro catchment
V – shaped micro catchment
Conclusions and Recommendations:
• Afforestation can be done for the purpose of commercial
forestry as well as environmental preservation.
• In dry land regions, suitable species are fast growing as well as
frost and drought –resistance .It depends on site composition
• massive afforestation have a meaningful influence on global
climate and on mitigating the increased CO2 concentration in
• Many NG/NGO directly engage in programs of afforestation
to create forests, increase carbon capture and sequestration,
and help to anthropogenically improve biodiversity.
• Well documented National afforestation plan should be
prepare to increase rate of afforestation.
• People participation should be more focused for protection
of successful of afforestation.