07a14 guidelines to improve non verbal communication
Non verbalcommunication• is the message or response not expressedor sent in words - hints , suggestions ,indications.• Most of the expressions are non verbal• it is the most basic part of our personality.• NVC is the unspoken communication thatgoes on in every Face-to-Face encounterwith another human being.
Non verbalcommunication• It is recognized as the route to discover what theother side wants, without them ever saying it, likea secret way into their soul.• It expresses beyond words• NVC stands for the innermost, instinctual form ofhuman communication.• Communication researcher found that only 7% ofa message’s effect are carried by words ;listeners receive the other 93% through non -verbal means.
Functions of NVC• To regulate the flow of information• To express emotions.• To control or influence others.• To qualify, compliment,contradict orexpand verbal messages.• to provide information
Types of NVC• Paralinguistics• Kinesics• Haptics• Chronemics• Iconics• Dress
ParalinguisticsIt is a form of language in whichmeaning is conveyed throughvariations in speech qualities such as:• loudness• pitch• rate• hesitations
Kinesics or body languagethe use of :• gestures• facial expressions• eye movements• body postures• In communicating emotions
Two types of bodylanguageOpen / Closed• People with arms folded and legscrossed and bodies turned away aresignaling that they are rejectingmessages.• People showing open hands, fullyfacing you and both feet planted onthe ground are accepting them.
Types cont…Forward / Back• When people are leaning forward andpointing towards you they are activelyaccepting or rejecting the message.• When they are leaning back, looking up atthe ceiling, doodling on a pad, cleaningtheir glasses they are either passivelyabsorbing or ignoring it.
Hapticsthe use of touch in communicating, asin:• a handshake• a pat on the back• an arm around the shoulder• a hug, etc.
Chronemicscommunicating status through the useof time, e.g.:• making people wait• allowing some people to go ahead ofothers, etc.
Iconicsthe use of physical objects or officedesigns to communicate status orculture such as:• display of trophies• diplomas• pictures with important people, etc.
Dresscommunicating values and expectationsthrough clothing and otherdimensions of physical appearance :• Formally dressed• Informally dressed• Party wear
Ways to improve non verbalcomm.…It is not only what you say is important, butits how you say it that can make thedifference.• Eye contact• Facial expression• Gestures• Body orientation• Humor
Effective NVCThe use of nonverbal cues is affected byvariables such as gender and culture.• Culture is the collective programming ofthe mind, which distinguishes the membersof one human group from another .• The different expectations affect the waythey understand others.
One should consider following point• The distance of relation ship• Cultural differences and its nuances• Situations-What ,when ,to whom• Gender• Hierarchy
Some culture specificNVC– Rules regarding standing and position distance– Face-on for Arabs– 45 degree angle for Anglo-Saxons– Side-to-side for Chinese– Smiling in Japan is strongly associated with nervousness, socialdiscomfort, or sorrow– In Buddhist Thailand never cross legs– The sole of the foot is the furthest part from heaven and theleast sacred. To show the bottom of the foot to someone is toshow disrespect– In Asian and Middle-eastern cultures it is appropriate for thesame sex to walk hand in hand but not the opposite sex
One should observeEye Contact-Eye is a passage to ones soulWhen and how to make eye contact• Eye contact,- it displays interest andunderstanding between the speaker and listener.• Rolling eyes can be a sign of annoyance• Follow culture specific eye contact patternEurope- To continue a conversationIndia – May hamper conversation (Male-Female)-talking to elders eye contact is avoided
Body Orientation• People can read your emotions throughposture• Someone who has excellent posture is alsothought to have excellent power• Those who walk quickly and freely may begoal oriented; while those who walk withtheir heads down and hands in their pocketmay not be so motivated
Facial expressionNever showUNCOMMITTED FACEwhile talking to JapaneseIt is considered rude toovertly express youremotions in public.
GesturesActions speak louder than wordsFollowing gestures have different connotation• Placing a hand on chin -contemplation• Wringing hands -sign of stress and tension• crossing your arms over your chest -defensive,although it could simply signal coldness.Raising middle fingers• Europe – Humiliation