• Attack Methods
• Hacking groups
• Best Security model
• KSP Security model
• Tool and technology in use
• Challenges / Bottleneck
• Wish list
Information Security: Preservation of confidentiality, integrity and
availability of information
KSP Computerization Model
People Process Technology Infrastructure Governance
• Sys Admins
• Web Service
• KSP DC
• KSP WAN
• DR Centre
• Core Team
• SCRB Nodal
• District Nodal
• Central NOC
KSP Wide Area Network
1,2 & 4 Mbps leased line
512 Kbps and 1 Mbps
Internet leased line
• LAN infrastructure at All locations
• Fixed IP for all VPNoBB
• Network Monitoring Software to
monitor the availability.
• End router security through ACL
• Zone based LAN architecture
• MAC authentication servers
• Hardening of Network Devices
• SOP for network management.
• Warranty / Support
Karnataka State Police Wide Area Network
Type of Network Number of
MPLS 39 45
VPNoBB 1350 1458
ILL 2 2
• Karnataka State Police Wide Area Network, (KSPWAN) was created in the year 2009 with BSNL
• This was successfully implemented jointly by BSNL and the Karnataka State Police.
• This Network is a combination of 45 MPLS and 1458 VPNoBB connections
• Connects all police station and higher offices across the state.
• Fixed IP has been implemented on VPNoBB connection
• In addition 16 Mbps Internet leased line has also been provided.
DC Aggregation Bandwidth
• Law & Order
• Armed Reserve
• Motor Transport
• Forensic Science
Police IT - ERP
Police IT - ERP
Authentication and Authorization process
Fail over Clustering to avoid single point of failure.
.Net Framework used to develop the application for
better availability, performance and security.
Police IT – ERP Security Guidelines
Prevention of un-authorized access, Role based access
Auditing should be enabled for DML statements.
User name and password for authentication
Standard password policy.
The process for removing unnecessary code from the application after it is released should
Application code should not contain invalid references to network resources The solution
should not display the entire path of URL in the browser based application
The solution should support multi-tier authentication where required
Solution should provide logout option to terminate the session
Data Encryption at traveling and at rest.
All the credentials and sensitive data always will store at Database end
The Solution should not be vulnerable for OWASP top 10 attacks.
Security Solution of KSP
Defense in Depth technology has been adopted for KSP to ensure the
maximum protection at each layer from attacks.
• IT Security Policy
• Regular audits.
• End user awareness program.
• DC protected with surveillance and biometric access
• Two Tier Security Architecture.
• Full fledge Intrusion Prevention System.
• SIEM for log management and Event Analysis for real time alerts.
• Internal Zone are created based on the functionality
• Centralized End point protection antivirus for Servers and Desktops
• Centralized Authentication and Authorization through LDAP Server.
• Role based Access.
• Hardening of OS, Applications and Network devices.
• Regular patch management.
• Data Stored in Encrypted format
DC / DR Technology / Tools used
Unified Threat Management
Network Intrusion Prevention
Security Information and Event
Centralized Antivirus Software
Patch Management Software
IP Sec Tunnel Between Branch and
Access Control List for end router
Network Monitoring Software
Traffic Monitoring Software
Role Based Access
Hosted in Secured zone and
accessible only on Intranet
Role based Access
CAB to control the changes
Application Monitoring Software
Stored in Encrypted mode
Stringent testing policy
Security layer Network layer Application layer
End Computer/ User Security
• Computers are under the supervision of LDAP Server
• Centralized Authentication, Authorization and Accounting through LDAP Server
• Computers are operated with least Privileged account.
• Local administrator and user accounts are restricted.
• End Point Protection installed on all computers to battle against the advance threat.
• Stringent Policies to enforce end computer security through LDAP and Centralize AV
• Regular patch management to fix the OS and application level Vulnerabilities.
• SOP for computer usage
• Usage of External Device is strictly prohibited.
• Authorized / Approved applications are allowed to use.
• Centralized Log monitoring through SIEM to identify and mitigate the internal threats.
• Computer security is a part of Basic computer training program.
• Regular Security awareness program to end users.
Internal Resources of KSP
Key Security resources
MCSE, CCNA, VCP, CEH, CHFI
Middle tier security resources
System Administrators (MCSE and CCNA)
Security Enforcement Team 120
Police IT Operators 3000
Operation Principals of KSP
• Challenges / Bottleneck
• Creating of security
• Resistance to change
• Management skill
• Regular Monitoring
• Knowledge upgradation
• Rediness for DDoS attack
• Fighting against distruptive
• No Direct control on the
other country cyber
• Zero day attack
• TOR based communication
Safe and Seurece
Security architecture should be a dynamic process that
consistently enforces security among all users to protect
Regular IT security audit would help the organization to find the
vulnerabilities and gaps to fix it proactively before it get
exploited by an hacker.
People are the major pillar of the security, should be trained
regularly better security.
As 100% security is impossible, you need to decide what
needs to be secured and how well it needs to be secured.